Poll: If a stranger walked up to you on the street, and offered you immortality, would you accept?

ChuQue37

May 16, 2011
I know what my answer would be. The rules are thus:

1: You cannot die. Not now, not ever, until the end of time. Perhaps you'll be alive even afterwards. (Who knows?) But if the sun were to explode right now, you would be cast adrift in space, floating ever onwards.

2: You still feel pain.

3: Your body is to remain unchanged at the instant of immortality. Whatever is part of you, will remain part of you forever. You won't have to eat, you won't feel hunger, but you will still retain the ability to do so, if you so please.

3a: You will have no need for breathing, however, you may still choose to do so. But no oxygen will be absorbed, no CO2 lost.

3b: Should you lose an arm, piece of hair, tooth, blood, etc, it will instantly returned to it's previous location, by any means necessary.

3c: This rule also applies to your muscular structure: Since your muscles cannot degrade, you will never be able to become stronger. But, since your muscles never degrade, you will never tire, either. An example of this would be, if you can lift 50 lbs with your right bicep, you will be able to hold 50 lbs indefinitely, but you will never be able to lift 51 lbs. Another example: If you can run at a sprint at 20 mph, you will be able run at such speed indefinitely, but you will never be able to run faster than that.

4: You cannot die, but you can become trapped. Should you be laid underneath a pile of rocks, and unable to extricate yourself, you will be unable to do so until present circumstances have changed. (Geological activity, someone moving the rocks for you, the earth exploding, etc)

5: You may say yes, or no. You may not choose to wait until your physical condition has changed. So no new haircuts, no excessive working out, nothing. Now or nothing.

Would you do it?

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
While I do like how my hair is right now, I'm nowhere near as fit as I'd like to be for an immortal being. I also don't have that five o'clock shadow I usually have, so there's that, too.

Thistlehart

Nov 10, 2010
No. Because what you just described sounds like hell in a box offered with a pinch of glitter.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
ChuQue37 said:
as far as I know, seeing as i haven't died yet, all of this fits me, although i haven't lost any teeth, or an arm. i haven't aged in a few years. I'm pretty sure I'm not immortal though.

OT: no, i wouldn't, never except things from creepy beggars, strangers, etc. these things usually end up screwing you over.

ChuQue37

May 16, 2011
CulixCupric said:
ChuQue37 said:
as far as I know, seeing as i haven't died yet, all of this fits me. i haven't aged in a few years. I'm pretty sure I'm not immortal though.

OT: no, i wouldn't, never except things from creepy beggars, strangers, etc. these things usually end up screwing you over.
Who said anything about a creepy beggar?

Perhaps he's a fine gentleman, in a pin-stripe suit and a dashing hat.

:p

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Well in real life I would say, get out of my way you creep, but assuming that I don't and that I actually believe him (which is VERY unlikely) I would totally say yes, I mean I would be a wimp for the rest of my life but then I'd have time to make my wish come true, which is acquiring every piece of knowledge that I can get a hold off and studying every single field known to mankind, though that may be because I hate not knowing what people are talking about.

Jubbert

Apr 3, 2010
Nah. Forever is a long time, and when we're talking in billions of years, humans are most likely gonna be pretty short-lived, and I don't want to be sitting alone on a space rock doing nothing for eternity.

Nov 12, 2010
Sign me up, every problem we face as a species comes from our mortality... and I would go into more detail if I had infinite time on my hands.

the spud

May 2, 2011
Dammit people quit copying my threads!!!

OT: No, mainly just because it would really suck once I get sucked into a black hole for all of eternity.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Nope.

None of these rules involve my mind being about to process the experiences of an infinite lifetime or be immune from degenerative mental illnesses or memory problems.

An eternity of dementia does not sound promising.

ChuQue37

May 16, 2011
Belaam said:
Nope.

None of these rules involve my mind being about to process the experiences of an infinite lifetime or be immune from degenerative mental illnesses or memory problems.

An eternity of dementia does not sound promising.
I'm not very well educated on the issue of mental disease, but the implication is that as you are now, is how you will stay. Your memory will not degrade. You will continue to experience things and learn, but your cognitive abilities will not change.

This is assuming that our mind is fundamentally separate from the brain, and as incorrect as this may or may not be, I wasn't exactly going for perfect realism.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Hell no. Immortality in any form is a curse in my opinion. Living forever means you will run out of things to do eventually.. every one you know will die... Nah I want to die one day. I wanna see what really waits for me. If its just forever in a slumber or perhaps something else.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
No possability of improving my body? if I'm going to be immortal like that, I want to at least have a strong healthy body so I can put the immortality to good use.

Not to mention the problem I allways have with immortality which is seeing everyone you care about age and die around you, perpetually. Don't know how much of that I could take.

So probably not, no.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I would decline. I don't want to live forever, I want to jump out of a plane and not get hurt.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
First of all, I'd be pretty scared.
Second, under these conditions... No. Tempted as I might be, mortality feels safer.

Belaam said:
This touches on a big issue. How much of your mind is physical and how much is... well, mental? You shouldn't be able to become senile, since your brain would no longer degrade. But what about developing mental disorders, a possibility you must take into account when considering the abnormality of your condition? And if your body were changeless, would you even be able to learn new things or experience new emotions?

As a great man once said, "It just raises too many questions."
(Although it looks like some of those questions have been answered while I've been writing this response.)