Poll: If God had a nationality, what would it be?

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Considering he was invented by Middle-eastern people, I consider Middle-eastern the most reasonable answer. Particularly if you're one of those that think of Jesus as the god.

Failing that, Black American because Morgan Freeman that's why.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
God is British. Al Murray told me so.
See God actually picks up the planes and balances them when they fly. And in the battle of Britain, God seemed to have butterfingers when those German planes were around... So yeah.
Also, Britain doesn't have earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes or tsunamis. Because God's not going to shit on his own doorstep is he?

On a serious note, I don't believe in a anthropomorphic god. I feel if there is a god, it'd be more like an energy than anything else.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
ManueleunaM said:
Believing in God and in His existence are two completely different things.
I fail to see how. Could you explain how you could possibly have one without the other?

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Well logically I'd say middle eastern, that's where his attention seemed to be focussed. He sent his son there, he must have some connection to the place.

Boletes Net

Nov 9, 2010
He wouldn't be any be cause none of these existed at the begining of the universe....unless you're a creationist? then he'd be a white american...for some reason.

XHolySmokesX

Sep 18, 2010
As far as the king james the 1st translated bible goes, yes he would be English, with a bit of scottish in him.

However i think if god were to reveal himself, it wouldn't be much of a surprise to us if he was the splitting image of morgan freeman. =P

Gotterdammerung

Jan 13, 2011
Quick quote from Xenophanes to explain my view on the subject matter;

"But if cattle and horses and lions had hands
or could paint with their hands and create works such as men do,
horses like horses and cattle like cattle
also would depict the gods' shapes and make their bodies
of such a sort as the form they themselves have.
Ethiopians say that their gods are snub-nosed and black
Thracians that they are pale and red-haired."

(Stolen from wikipedia)

In short, you see god as you see yourself. To white people he is white, to black people he is black. To men he's male, to women it's a she.

It also explains why Christ (who was in all probability a 5-foot tall Palestinian) is depicted as a 6'6'' white man in modern western churches.

May 20, 2009
Techno Squidgy said:
ManueleunaM said:
I fail to see how. Could you explain how you could possibly have one without the other?
If you believe in someone or have faith in them that means you trust that person will be there for you if you need him/her for example or that you believe in what they say. It's about trust mainly.

Believing that person exists is something different. For example: "I don't believe this Robert you speak of exists." Get it?

For example I don't like hearing people say they believe in the devil because that's the same as saying they trust in it or they believe in what it says. It might not be what they mean but it is what was said. What people really want to say is that they believe it exists.

You can acknowledge God's existence but trusting Him gets complicated since you can't see Him and life is basically shit most of the time.

Techno Squidgy said:
On a serious note, I don't believe in a anthropomorphic god. I feel if there is a god, it'd be more like an energy than anything else.
You're probably right by the way. It makes more sense doesn't it, since almost everything in the Universe is basically energy, even if that energy is manifested in different forms. And if one follows the theory that everything is connected in the Universe that could explain how we are in an indirect way a part of God.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
ManueleunaM said:
Techno Squidgy said:
ManueleunaM said:
If you believe in someone or have faith in them that means you trust that person will be there for you if you need him/her for example or that you believe in what they say. It's about trust mainly.

Believing that person exists is something different. For example: "I don't believe this Robert you speak of exists." Get it?

For example I don't like hearing people say they believe in the devil because that's the same as saying they trust in it or they believe in what it says. It might not be what they mean but it is what was said. What people really want to say is that they believe it exists.

You can acknowledge God's existence but trusting Him gets complicated since you can't see Him and life is basically shit most of the time.

Techno Squidgy said:
You're probably right by the way. It makes more sense doesn't it, since almost everything in the Universe is basically energy, even if that energy is manifested in different forms. And if one follows the theory that everything is connected in the Universe that could explain how we are in an indirect way a part of God.
Ah, this is just a case of you taking a different meaning from the use of the word believe to me. You mean believe as in trust, whereas I mean believe as in acceptance of a possibility. To me believing in a god and believing in said god's existence mean the same thing.
I understand where you're coming from now.
I assume you yourself believe in the existence of a deity?

Bento Box

Mar 3, 2011
What a silly question, with silly implications (those being that the OP doesn't know a damn lick of the history of Juchrislam). El-Abbah-Allah-Yaweh, the god of Juchrislam was the god of Abraham hence the term 'Abrahamic,' and in every meaningful way, the god of Israel. This should be, like, the first thing any little Jew, Christian, or Muslim learns, ever.

As a cute little side note, Firefox doesn't recognize 'Abbah,' 'Yaweh,' or 'Abrahamic' as words. Silly Firefox!

Silly.

Bento Box

Mar 3, 2011
Techno Squidgy said:
Ah, this is just a case of you taking a different meaning from the use of the word believe to me. You mean believe as in trust, whereas I mean believe as in acceptance of a possibility. To me believing in a god and believing in said god's existence mean the same thing.
I understand where you're coming from now.
I assume you yourself believe in the existence of a deity?
I promised myself I wouldn't do this, but my eye catches things like this and I just can't help it. We've gotta get some definitions straightened out. I "accept the possibility" that there is a god. That said, after weighing the evidence for and against, as it's been presented to me so far, I am not convinced and therefore do not believe.

Belief doesn't simply mean that you accept a possibility. It necessarily means that you are convinced of a position. People approach the concept of belief wrong way too often, and it really is one of those things you have to define and use correctly, if you are to have any sort of meaningful conversation about it.

This post isn't directed at you specifically, but anyone who wants to talk about belief.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Bento Box said:
I promised myself I wouldn't do this, but my eye catches things like this and I just can't help it. We've gotta get some definitions straightened out. I "accept the possibility" that there is a god. That said, after weighing the evidence for and against, as it's been presented to me so far, I am not convinced and therefore do not believe.

Belief doesn't simply mean that you accept a possibility. It necessarily means that you are convinced of a position. People approach the concept of belief wrong way too often, and it really is one of those things you have to define and use correctly, if you are to have any sort of meaningful conversation about it.

This post isn't directed at you specifically, but anyone who wants to talk about belief.
I keep trying to write this post but am unable to communicate what I mean clearly. Basically, I agree with you, but I use a different manner of speaking which is causing this confusion.