Poll: If You Fought In The American Civil War, Who Would You Fight For?

hippykiller

Dec 28, 2008
I was just wondering which side you good people would fight for. You have the Union fighting for the North. and you have the Confederacy fighting for the South.

I personally would fight for the south. why? well becuase im an Irish Republican and a catholic. and i don't like the idea of a government that forces beliefs and laws on states that don't agree with them. and a whole majority of people who fought for the Union were German anti-Catholic immigrants. but that's just me. so, people of the escapist... Time To Pick Sides!

delet

Nov 2, 2008
If I had to, North. Slavery is bad etc, etc. I'd more likely just go ahead and make my way to Canada though...

FranzTyphid

Apr 10, 2009
The west.
y'know just to be difficult.
OT:probably the north because i think they were about abolishing slaves

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Well, anyone who chooses the south may end up with less than positive quotes.

Probably the north
Aby_Z said:
more likely just go ahead and make my way to Canada though...
I'll join you.

Dec 14, 2009
The British... as a quadruple agent, and destroy your country from the inside out. How dare you leave us.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Neither. I don't find the idea of getting my leg amputated to be thrilling. Besides, neither side can really claim to be the good guys.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
I live in the south, and I'd rather my house not be looted, so fuck it.

The South will rise again!
[sub]Probably not...[/sub]

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
The north, I don't see many people fighting for slavery on the escapist.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
The North. Simply because my ancestor who did fight for the Union would probably murder me in my sleep if I didn't. O_O

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
The south. Just because I live in England and quite frankly couldn't give two shits about the American civil war.

Coltelement

Jan 20, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
The British... as a quadruple agent, and destroy your country from the inside out. How dare you leave us.
...Unless, however, you have a German "Doppel Mäkler" on your tail. I knew about your plan the whole time, and while you were busy destroying America, I was destroying non-other than... FRANCE! We should team up to destroy it and all that is evil!

Anywho, I voted North, because they won. :p

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
The North since Britain started the slave trade so I'm gonna goddamn end it!

Although, just staying in Britain drinking my tea wouldn't be a bad idea.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Aby_Z said:
If I had to, North. Slavery is bad etc, etc. I'd more likely just go ahead and make my way to Canada though...
The thing is, though, that slavery wasn't the primary issue of the Civil War.

The Federal Government forcing the states to accept the abolition of slavery was.

Basically, the American Civil War was almost entirely based on the concept of States' rights vs Federal powers. It was kinda silly that there was a war fought over it even, when one considers that there is a clause in the Constitution that allows for the secession of states that feel they've been wronged (I think it's the Constitution anyway; it may be in the Articles of Confederation instead).

Edit:
On that note, I would fight for the South. But once the Confederate States of America were formed, I would dive into trying to abolish slavery within that new country.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
North mainly because i live up in the north. But i'd just offer to be the rifleman who sits in the trees all day

Dec 14, 2009
Coltelement said:
Daystar Clarion said:
...Unless, however, you have a German "Doppel Mäkler" on your tail. I knew about your plan the whole time, and while you were busy destroying America, I was destroying non-other than... FRANCE! We should team up to destroy it and all that is evil!

Anywho, I voted North, because they won. :p
Destroy America and France? Deal.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Agayek said:
Aby_Z said:
The thing is, though, that slavery wasn't the primary issue of the Civil War.

The Federal Government forcing the states to accept the abolition of slavery was.

Basically, the American Civil War was almost entirely based on the concept of States' rights vs Federal powers. It was kinda silly that there was a war fought over it even, when one considers that there is a clause in the Constitution that allows for the secession of states that feel they've been wronged (I think it's the Constitution anyway; it may be in the Articles of Confederation instead).

Edit:
On that note, I would fight for the South. But once the Confederate States of America were formed, I would dive into trying to abolish slavery within that new country.
Oh no, I know about that. Damned History class actually taught me something. Yea, the war was all over them succeeding, and that was caused by slavery becoming an issue (Wasn't a state added that upset the balance of pro-slavery to anti-slavery states?) and the war ensued after that. Lincoln just eventually decided to free the slaves along the way (My memory may be tricking me, but I don't think slaves were forced into the war effort against the south, but joined anyway.)

I know the basics of US history now but I hate the damned subject >.<