Poll: If you had to choose just one console for the rest of your life...

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
PC... Oh I can't? Spose PS2 would be the next logical step.
No PS2 either? aight... erm... Wii? Wii ha that lovely backwards compatability giving it loads of titles... No Wii? should have guessed...

I suppose out of those options a N64 would be best assuming I get an infinite supply of controllers (Nintendo's weakest controllers were the N64 ones >.<), an Expansion pack and Transfer pack.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Invisible option: PC

From the current ones in the Poll I'm quite mixed feelings between Xbox or PS3.

zama174

Oct 25, 2010
No ps2??? Wtf.... I chose the PS 2. So many classics, and I can play my PS games on it as well... Sooo.. Yeah best console ever.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
I like how the two options I'd choose, PC and PS2, aren't up there.

Also, by your definition of a console...
amaranth_dru said:
consoles aren't utilities with gaming options because they're built first and foremost for games, with the DVD and other capabilities tacked on for a wider market.
...my PC is a console, not a PC. I built it first and foremost to game. In fact, everything in it is necessary for the gaming experience. That would make my PC more of a console than some consoles that have extra features.

/thread

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I chose super nintendo! I have one along with an NES and a PS and PS2 and I think given no option to choose pc, even though all new consoles ARE pcs with shittier operating systems and no upgradability... SNES has high level nostalgia and a lot of awesome titles that I could play over and over again till the end of time...

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
360 I guess, because my friends are there and I like the exclusives on it most.

Though, somewhat moot as I would still play whatever I want on the PC. That's the thing; I understand the distinction you are making, but the point remains that the utility is a factor. It doesn't matter which console you choose because you can emulate all of them on a PC.

However, I get the point, it's more like "if you could only play games from a single console".

Still, 360 for the exclusives.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
urprobablyright said:

It may have had faults. It may have lacked a GTA title then made up for it with True Crime: Streets of LA. It may have lacked an MGS title then made up for it with a remake of the original. It may have lacked halo then made up for it with Red Faction 2...

...But it had Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, it had Metroid Prime 1 & 2, it had Tales of Symphonia, it had SSX Tricky and SSX3, both with far better control schemes than the other two consoles, and it had many other fantastic titles.

If I had the money, I'd order a GCN with Tales of Symphonia and two controllers (and a memory card) and be satisfied for gaming for the rest of my life.

(I'd also buy Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Wind Waker, Gladius, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes and Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles)
Heh. Hooray for backwards comparability that actually works. I play a lot of gamecube games on the Wii. I never owned a gamecube, but the Wii plays them flawlessly, and there's only a handful of things that won't work. (the GBA player for instance), because they depend on the expansion port.
But otherwise, it's like owning a fully functional gamecube with other stuff thrown in.

Actually, to go with the OP's question, you talk about emulation on PC... But the Wii's virtual console is also emulation (Not the same in a legal sense, obviously, but in terms of how it works it's definitely based on emulation.)

Anyway, since the Wii isn't an option (and as per above, what kind of person would honestly get a gamecube if they could get a wii unless they were trying to save money with second-hand stuff?)

That aside, I'm of the options listed I'm kind of torn between the N64 and Snes. Just because of the games involved. (And because the SNES is about as good as 2d games ever really got...)

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
One of the PS2-backwards-compatible models of PS3. That gives access to PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, all of which have quite a few great games.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Nintendo 64. I spent lots of years of my childhood with it, I could do it for the rest of my life.

With the 360 coming in second. Battlefield 3, Fallout3/NV and Skyrim soon, GTA4, everything downloadable. Yeah.

SeriousSquirrel

Mar 15, 2010
Tough choice, but I'll have to with the 360. Nice catalogue of games and my all time favorite controller, plus the ability to pay some of my favorites Xbox titles set it apart (several great classic titles get ported as well).

The lack of mario games and good rts's would be a problem though.

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
PS2. Has the best selection of games in my opinion and is played more than my 360 and ps3 combined.

Locko96

Jan 18, 2010
If there was a PC option, that. However, I like it just fine with my 360 over here *strokes Xbox gently*

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
You didn't put the Sega Dreamcast as an option....sigh...fine I guess I'd go with PS3 then