Poll: I'm Batman.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Sexy Devil said:
Still trying to figure out what exactly what is wrong with Christian Bale's Batman voice which the OP alluded to. It's just meant to conceal his voice so people don't recognise him, and it does that. I mean it's fairly reasonable to assume that people would recognise Bruce Wayne's voice if he didn't conceal it.

If that didn't tip you guys off, I prefer Nolan. As absolutely hilarious as shark repellant was I prefer my stuff serious.
That is way over the heads of many people who prefer Burton. As is Bruce Wayne purposely acting like a spoiled douche to throw people off the scent as well. What is actually good writing on behalf of the character is seen as bad acting by the masses. What's funny is Christian Bale is largely lauded as a great actor except by people who want to hate on Nolan's Batman. No other person to play Batman has won as much prestige as Christian Bale in the acting field.

Bale's Prestige - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000288/awards

The closest is Clooney but you have to take out the TV stuff because Bale doesn't do TV and take out the Razzie nomination.

Clooney's Prestige - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000123/awards

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
As much as I love Christian Bale as an actor, he really overdoes the voice work. Batman is definitely supposed to sound gritty - but he's not supposed to sound like he just had a tracheotomy. It's one thing to try to conceal your voice, it's another if you sound like the only nourishment you've had for the past 40 years were cigarettes. I'd love to see him tone it down a bit in the next movie.

My favorite graphical representation of the Bat has to be the way he's portrayed in A Serious House on Serious Earth,

...but my favorite actor is Conroy, hands down.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
How do you see Adam West and not just pick him out of the natural human instinct to want to be as awesome as possible at all times?!

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
The 70's and 80's batman.

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/2574994.html?#cutid1

Read it. There is a damn good reason I look for 70's and 80's books.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Grant Morrison's run on Batman, Batman and Robin, Batman Inc etc. Fresh new stories, seriously gritty but still containing (and explaining) whimsical elements from early batman stories.

Owen Robertson

Jul 26, 2011
'93/'98. It's a good mix. He's serious and dangerous, but still good enough to be a hero. Anti-heros get stale. Legit wholesome and earnest heros (like Cap) are fun to watch, even if they're a little corny.

Feb 13, 2008
Miller is an misanthropic douche.

Nolan isn't as good as his sisters.

Stop at the cartoons because they're the best Bats ever got.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
The only four Batmen I've seen are Arkham Asylum, Christopher Nolan, the scene where Adam West carries a lit bomb down a boardwalk and a few Golden Age comics so I'd have to go with 'if it's Batman, I don't care'.

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
The Nolan batman. Nolan's writing skills really bring him to life as a character in a way that none of the other writers have. However I still voted West because anyone who makes a scene about Robin saving Batman's leg from a shark using batspray is a living legend.

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
Mostly it's Batman, so don't care. But I like the Tim Burton ones the least. It's a sort of odd mix of lighthearted and dark/gritty, and they don't really succeed at either.

An opinion, ladies and gentlemen.

Indignator

Oct 26, 2011
I would argue that this scale is a little misaligned. While Nolan's Batman is certainly gritty it's nowhere near as dark as Burton's (especially Batman Returns, which was a Gothic horror movie), which had a fair amount of grit in and of itself. Therefore I think that Tim Burton should be higher than Chris Nolan.

Incidentally, while I love Nolan's take on Batman (and not just The Dark Knight - Batman Begins is my second favorite superhero movie ever) I also love the darkness and gloom that Burton brought. So I guess put me down for, "I don't care."

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well until Nolan's movies came along I couldn't take Batman seriously even for a second, so that get's my vote.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Wanted to go with "Batman as written by Jeph Loeb" but that wasn't an option sadly. So I went with the Nolan works cause they're the ones closer to the Loeb comics and I think Batman: The Long Halloween is the best Batman comic written.

As for the rest, I liked the Cartoon and that would have been the second choice, the Schumacker movie I sort of like for the same campy cheesiness that I like Adam Wests Batman with. However there not my favourites.

For Frank Miller, you know I can't really say too much for his work, yes I thank him for pretty much reviving Batman but he's only done two good comics with the Batman character and they were Batman TDKR and Batman Year One. Good books but not quite as good as Batman when written by Loeb.

Now on to Burton. Not a big fan of his Batman, I think most Batman fans that are a fan of the comics rather than the movies may agree with me on this (though that does sound a tad arrogant) while I love Burtons gothic visual look for Gotham City and Danny Elfmans score (my favourite score out of the lot) it seems plainly obvious that Burton doesn't know much about Batman. He even stated that he didn't much know or care for Batman when doing the films so the canon doesn't seem as respected nor does the character. He did well with the visuals and I do enjoy the movies but as a fan of the comics, I can't really call it my favourite.

With Nolan however, you do get a feeling that he cares for the Batman character and the comics. With plenty of shout outs and scene lifted almost straight from some pages. He respects a wide variety of authors to boot going from inspiration of the Miller novels (mainly Batman Year One) to heavily drawing from The Long Halloween. I actually consider Batman Begins to be a movie adaptation of Batman Year One while consider TDK as a lose adaptation of The Long Halloween.

So I go with Nolan simply for his respect to the character and the comics.

Though I will say that Kevin Conroy will always be Batman and Mark Hamill will always be the Joker.

Ti0k0

Jun 22, 2011
That shark was PULLING MY LEG!
Then the RIDDLER must be behind this evil scheme!

Loved it!
Adam West, fo sho!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The animated series.

It puts Batman in the setting where I like him best; Noir.

This is why I dislike Nolan's version, because it lacks everything that I like about Batman.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Honestly I don't care which incarnations of Batman just as long he is still Batman (never use a gun and always find a way to defeat a villain without any superpowers).
I mean I love Batman the Brave and the Bold yet people still complain the light hearted side to it. It seen people ignore the silver age/ Adam West Batman that was none the less is part of the steps that lead to become Batman the way he is today.

Angelus SnV

Nov 19, 2009
I personally have to say that while i believe Burton did an outstanding job on the aesthetic of Gotham, and nailed the villians he used to near-perfection, his batman was a lil' too fond of killing people. (he has joker fall off the building at the end of "Batman" with no attempt to save him, he blows up an entire factory of goons at Ace Chem., and i also have a problem with the gatling guns on both the Batmobile and the Batplane) Although Keaton does have perhaps the best "batman voice" of all the movie versions...

I also have issue with th'fact that for years ('till the nolanverse) Batman couldn't move his head...they focused way too much on the "Batman's fighting guys with guns, he needs protection" and didn't just use the "he was trained as a ninja" part of his character...

The Nolanverse on the other hand, got a LOT closer to an accurate portrayal of Batman (with the exception of the Batmobile, and that gorram voice), but did almost offensively bad in the villian department (Ra's Al Ghul was nothin' like his comic counterpart, nor was the Scarecrow (who is my 3rd fave villian overall), and for all his fine work as the Joker, Ledger didn't do it perfectly either for th'fact of he had virtually no comedic side to him at all...he was just a guy that liked to blow things up or threaten you with knives....but i blame that less on Ledger (who did phenomally in the role) and more on the writers just not gettin' th'full scope of who the Joker was....

that bein' said if you merged the two (Burton's gotham and rogues gallery with Nolan's Batman), you'd have a damn-near perfect interpretation....

or, you'd have the animated series......add th'fact that you'd actually be able to kill people (really not possible in a cartoon for children)....

and, you'd have the Arkham games....aka "Batman finally done right"