Poll: I'm sick of April Fools

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
Lionsfan said:
Relevant xkcd [http://xkcd.com/169/]
It's been a long time since I had to say this, but I don't get the first two panels.

OT: I've always been sick of April Fool's Day. The few legitimately funny jokes are vastly outnumbered by the sheer amount of people who think it's hilarious to be utter dinks on this day and can 'get away with it' because "LOL APRIL FOOL'S!"
I don't think you're supposed to "get" them, because I think the riddle was said incorrectly (possible on purpose). it's an old joke though, so I think the author figured most people would be familiar with it or something.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Lionsfan said:
hakkarin said:
axlryder said:
Thought I responded, but it must have gotten lost in the merge.

It's probably me, but I just think that pranks should have a little more effort behind them, than what I'm doing right now (typing).

We've got The Onion to type silly stories like that, I think pranks should be something you plan out and do.

shrekfan246 said:
Lionsfan said:
Relevant xkcd [http://xkcd.com/169/]
It's been a long time since I had to say this, but I don't get the first two panels.
So the guy says: "There are 3 words in the English Language that end in -gry besides hungry and angry. What's the third word?"

It seems like a simple question, besides hungry and angry, what's the 3rd word that ends in -gry?

But the question guy isn't really asking that. He's asking "There are 3 words in The English Language, meaningless blah blah blah blah. What's the third word?"

Hence the "communicating badly and acting smug when other don't understand" line
To be fair, I've seen some PRETTY elaborate april fools jokes, but again, they're hard to do well and the lame attempts usually outnumber the good ones.

sweetylnumb

Sep 4, 2011
Well i still have blue milk and maple syrup in my soap so yeah, kind of over it right now. But the legitimately funny jokes, like say dressing up your mates car in "just married" attire, kind of make it worth it.

Riverwolf

Dec 25, 2013
Never liked the day, anyway. These days, I avoid human interaction as much as possible on this day. I kinda like the joke news and content, but only if it's something so absurdly ridiculous that I can tell it's a joke right away. (For example, The Spoony One's "interview" with the late D&D co-creator Gary Gygax last year.)

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
eh, I've got no issues with April Fool's day, its a day for pranks and jokes, and given the subjective values of humor, I am inevitably not going to find some of those jokes funny, in which case, I shrug my shoulders and move on.

Yeah, if somebody is lying about something horrific and trying really hard to pass it off as truth, that's a dick thing to do. Google giving you a button to find pokemon in their maps app, and Respawn making a silly trailer with Optimus Prime in it far outweighs a couple stupid people who do something stupid for a joke.

I dunno, honestly, even if a lot of the stunts are just cheesy jokes, rather than any form of pranking, it's really too harmless to do anything more than make me roll my eyes than actually make me sick of the holiday. I am inundated with news and information from the internet every day of the year, one day where I might believe an interesting rumor or video for all of about 5 seconds is hardly enough to build any kind of lasting resentment.

Of course, that may just be the schadenfruede talking, because I seem to take inordinate delight in seeing people freak out about how much everything annoys them on this day, and what a terrible holiday it is, or the people who get way too nitpicky about what qualifies as humor, and whine about "but today's supposed to be only about pranks, stupid jokes shouldn't count".

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I actually hate the entire month of April. But April 1st has always been my most hated day.

Lesson to parents: DON'T NAME YOUR KID AFTER A MONTH. ESPECIALLY APRIL. BECAUSE OTHER KIDS ARE CRUEL ASSHOLES AND THEY WILL GROW TO DESPISE YOU, THE MONTH, AND THE FIRST DAY OF THE MONTH.

I am also tired of the stupid shit that goes on social media. Half of my facebook is people getting "divorced" and then "married". Or saying they're starting to sleep under tables...[sub][sub]oh wait...that might be because of the string of earthquakes we had last week[/sub][/sub] and getting "fired" from their jobs. It's not funny. It's stupid. And then you have people who think it's funny to link people to pages that are called "screamers" and tell them that it's something that it isn't.

That said, if you can successfully pull off a legitimately GOOD prank. I will fucking applaud you. I don't care what day of the year it is.

[sub][sub][sub][sub]though I have to say stupid people are the most fun people especially when they freak out if you tell them their epidermis is showing or that water contains dihydrogen monoxide.....or tell people other chemistry related facts and stuff[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
nope, i find it pretty funny. most people i know don't partake, which is where the shite ones would come from, but i enjoy fake announcements and stuff. case in point, blizzards fake patch notes always make me laugh. this years was hilarious

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/12371977139?page=1

also dave mustaine reviewing metallica made me chuckle

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/dave_mustaine_listens_to_metallica_albums_in_full_for_the_first_time_posts_reviews.html

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Blow_Pop said:
Awh, I've always loved April. It's when the snow starts to melt away and the sun comes back... It's always been a good time for me. Kindof like when you joke about me in FG you make me feel warm and fuzzy too. =P

OT: April Fools has to be done right. Just a flat out lie isn't enough to impress me. I expect pranks like this:

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Redlin5 said:
Blow_Pop said:
Awh, I've always loved April. It's when the snow starts to melt away and the sun comes back... It's always been a good time for me. Kindof like when you joke about me in FG you make me feel warm and fuzzy too. =P

OT: April Fools has to be done right. Just a flat out lie isn't enough to impress me. I expect pranks like this:

I don't make a lot of jokes about you in FG....in fact, I rarely do. And you mostly think I'm joking when I'm being serious ;)

That video was awesome btw

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
I like a good AF prank. Note GOOD. My Dad got me up at half 7 (3 ours earlier than I needed) telling me my friend was at the door. So I had to get up to tell him to go away because I don't start college this early today. Then obviously, I went down and 'April fools!'.

So I stole his bacon sandwich, ate it, and went back to bed.

Later he asked for a cup of tea, so I put about 15 sweeteners in it. Me and my Mum found that shit hilarious.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
It's once a year and it's usually just good natured silliness. Sheesh, when did everyone get so uptight and serious?

Take what LoL did. Announce a new and insane game mode on April Fools Day. Nobody actually thinks it's real. Plot twist: IT IS! Now that's a prank I can enjoy thoroughly.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Yeah, sorry but a lot today happened that was actually very cool. Maybe not really lies but they have that "We know that you like what we have been doing so far so we are just going to do something completely different" like this:

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I don't entirely mind it, but on the internet it transcends itself into effortless trolling more often then not. Theres enough BS (and occasionally intentional satire) around the internet land on any given day already without adding more to the pile.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I like it. Stop bein a grampy.

Some companies actually put a bit of effort into their jokes and it can actually fool some of the little tykes later in the week, my brother being 10 is especially prone to believing internet lies.

One day man, one day, then it's all over.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I bet the OP actually loves April Fool's Day, and this thread is an April Fool's prank, and you've all been taken in.

Qwurty2.0

Apr 21, 2011
Silvanus said:
I bet the OP actually loves April Fool's Day, and this thread is an April Fool's prank, and you've all been taken in.
An OP with a sense of humor?

April Fool's joke right there.

(J/k ;P )

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Mathak said:
Pretty sure most people are capable of telling the difference, tbh.
Yeah, I thought that too when I saw the front page. I was like "Facebook buyout? HAW! That's classic." But then I clicked through to the mockup and started scrolling down. Which of these articles are spoofs and which are real? At first I thought they were all jokes until I started clicking through to actually read the articles.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/facebook

Steel Mind Iron Taking Empire: Fighting Time of the Kingdom War Battles is an obvious parody. I mean, unless it's on mobile or Steam. Then all bets are off.

EA's April Fool's Day joke flopped? Um. Okay. I read the article and I don't find the EA tweets any more or less mean-spirited than any other April Fool's Day joke out there, so maybe this whole article is a joke? If so it's the most meta April Fool's Day joke ever. If it's real, I don't get why EA pulled the tweets down. They're EA. Oh, don't get me wrong. I get the backlash. But since when has that ever stopped EA? Isn't pissing off legions of nerds by way of Bob Chipman basically their whole business model? We used to call EA pissing people off "marketing."

Movie coming out based on a video game IP? I don't know if that one's supposed to be disappointing because we're meant to assume it's real or disappointing because we're meant to assume it's fake.

An original, non-stock photograph of Lisa Folies on the image link? Okay, that has got to be fake. If you look at the image very carefully, you can see compression artifacts.

The real problem is far deeper than anything the Escapist could directly influence: The reality of what's going on in the games industry has become so routinely bizarre that if you mix up the real and fake articles on a page, you can't tell them apart anymore. Hell, even when it's NOT April Fool's Day, video game journalism is rife with misleading article titles and images designed to get clicks, even if they have to mislead web their audience to get them.

That, and there's a lot of people out there who just can't tell a joke. So they just say that thing you wanted is totally coming out.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
I've gotten to the point where I actively ignore the news for 2 days because April Fools is so annoying. With the decaying standard of journalism which is hard to trust at the best of times, believing anything posted on April 1st in their respective timezones is fraught with danger.