Poll: Internet friendship?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
depnds...I mean its very easy on the internet to find people with similar interests, and I always enjoy talking

I am however, very wary of getting "personal" with people on the internet, I think its just somthing I had drilled into me from a young age of "internet safty"

Id never give too many personal details or whatever, I guess its harmless enough if you play it safe, plus its easyer to talk about certain things (and I dont get my words mixed up or trail off and de-rail the conversation like I do in real life somtimes)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ravensheart18 said:
Does anyone besides me find it worrying that so many people are saying they prefer internet friends or that's all they have? It seems so....sad. I wonder if that speaks to a connection between being on the Escapist and having some sort of personality disorder. And I don't mean that as an insult, I'm thinking of all the people who have come forward and self identified in past threads relating to personality disorders that make it hard to make friends in rl, but might make it easier with an internet filter.
well I mean its just easyer to indentify with people on the internet because there are SO many barriers that arnt there

so yeah, if you fit a certain personality type (disorder or otherwise) then of coarse you might find it easyer with online freinds

personally, I dont think its quite the same as somone you can see/interact with in real life, peopel can come across alot different through text (not sure about video/chat though)

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, I put them pretty high, seeing as I've been fucking around with them across multiple online games for the past... Gorloggs beard, it's been at least 5 years. I only know a few people I've personally met that I've stayed friends with for that long.

*I should add that I've traveled more than a little during these past 7 years, and I don't keep friends well if it's just talkin over the phone or such every week or so

Ranthus

Mar 7, 2009
Some of them.
As in, out of all 72 Steam friends I don't actually know in real life, I care about and talk to less than ten of them.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
They're important to me, but I wouldn't say someone I meet on the internet is as important as someone I know in real life.

Feb 7, 2009
Blargh McBlargh said:
The Man With the Soap said:
So by that logic, if you met your onling friends in real life, they would automatically become boring and/or annoying by sheer virtue of the fact that you are face-to-face with them.

If everyone you've met in real life is boring/annoying, you aren't making much effort to actually get out there and meet people.
People online are much easier to ignore, much like I'm going to do now. ;)
You have my pity, sir.