Poll: Internet language... do you keep up with it?

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Fat Man Spoon said:
I try to understand it, but don't use it.

Also, does /B/ mean 4chan?
its the abbreviation for the random thread on 4chan and virtually every other chan

so it means random

and how in the hell is 4chan in firefox's dictionary but firefox and chan arent

Dorian

Jan 16, 2009
Lullabye said:
Portal Maniac said:
I speak English, not internet.

Besides, it's so confusing that I can't even make sense of it.
you say that, yet you speak english? seriously, the internet gets its language from english!
Is there a difference between English English and American English?

Yes. There's also one between physical English and digital English. A BIG one.

I don't see many people running around town saying 'Lol, he r epock failz.'

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
No. I express myself in the same manner on the internet as I do in real life.
What that means is that I do not use anything that gets abbreviated, or made into acronyms online.
It requires more effort, yes, but I hate when people use numbers for words/letters, or otherwise abuse the language I use.
Portal Maniac said:
I don't see many people running around town saying 'Lol, he r epock failz.'
And that is a good thing. I'm busy enough with my hate list. I don't need more people to target.

Azaradel

Jan 7, 2009
I couldn't feel less forced to learn the "internet language" that has evolved in the mucky pits of forums with an average IQ level of a bunch of lampshades.

However, being an online gamer and having online gamer friends (whos' IQ levels could also probably be successfully compared to abovementioned lampshades), I get it thrown into my face whenever I decide to pretend not to be a sociophobic psychopath, with fear of any kind of human contact - even as limited as the casual conversations sprouting while stomping on some blood elf's face.

Matronadena

Mar 11, 2009
personally don't care...in general you pick up on some of the definitions of new phrases or words easily enough...when it comes down to the leet and all that I tend to assume its coming from a child and ignore it

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
I have named my fists Spelling and Grammar, and with their power I rain down twin blows of righteous fury!

HonorableChairman

Jan 23, 2009
Fat Man Spoon said:
I try to understand it, but don't use it.

Also, does /B/ mean 4chan?
/b/ is the most popular and infamous board on 4chan, and sadly, the one that people assume all of the boards on 4chan are like. Tread lightly.

And I can generally gather what someone is saying when they use it, but I don't use much of it myself. Similar to my stance on most regional slang.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
what a coincidence becuase i just looked up what FTW meant. I had always wondered but never cared enough to look it up before. So that means that I don't use internet slang much, but I am curious. I've noticed that there isn't much slang used on escapist. Thats becuase we are an intelligent bunch. Verbal Conquistadors as I like to call it.

captainwolfos

Feb 14, 2009
I tend to pick up on it fairly quickly for some reason. I never use it because it annoys the hell out of me, but I pick it up because most other people I know use it.

If I don't know, well, that's what urban dictionary's for.

Xyphon

Jun 17, 2009
I keep up with it naturally, but when people start using fucking leet, I stop reading. I can understand it (Dear God I need to get laid), but I just don't feel like putting my brain through the punishment.

Edit: The only text talk I use is lol and lmfao . That's all.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Don't tend to use it but I understand it.

I enjoy most of it, but I highly enjoy conkers, boxes and tweezers aswell.

The Political Gamer

Oct 12, 2008
i Iz hUt 0n T3h iNt3Rn3tZ Sp3@k

Translation: I is hot on the internet speak

Real translation: I try to stay up-to-date with the latest lingo that the world wide web produces.