Poll: Is anybody else glad Ronda Rousey lost?

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Redryhno said:
Hell, she's been attacked as being anti-feminist and a TERF because she said MMA wasn't anti-woman and her refusal to fight Fallon Fox.

She's pretty far from being a mainstream feminist icon unless you're talking about a picture of her being on a dartboard.
Being a TERF doesn't mean she can't be a feminist icon, just not in a good way.
I think I addressed that in the part you snipped...also I really don't think anyone that's looked into her and the situation can seriously call Rousey a TERF in anything but the most superficial way...not saying you said that, for the record.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Redryhno said:
thaluikhain said:
Redryhno said:
Hell, she's been attacked as being anti-feminist and a TERF because she said MMA wasn't anti-woman and her refusal to fight Fallon Fox.

She's pretty far from being a mainstream feminist icon unless you're talking about a picture of her being on a dartboard.
I think I addressed that in the part you snipped...also I really don't think anyone that's looked into her and the situation can seriously call Rousey a TERF in anything but the most superficial way...not saying you said that, for the record.
Fair enough, I just wanted to say that being a TERF requires one to be a feminist, much as lots of people would like to think otherwise, for reasons I totally understand.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Redryhno said:
thaluikhain said:
Redryhno said:

Fair enough, I just wanted to say that being a TERF requires one to be a feminist, much as lots of people would like to think otherwise, for reasons I totally understand.
Was trying to get out the idea of how far it is. Nationalists can honestly be people really looking out for their country, Nazis gets the idea of how far they're willing to go to keep their idea of how the country should be across. Much the same with TERF. And transphobia has largely become a "LOOK AT ME" type word for me because the situations it's used in are largely benign and amount to the majority of it being accidental misgendering and calling Jennie Johnny because that's what they've known them as for the majority of their life than anything actually serious.

Stupid people ruining words for everyone else.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
its UFC so yeah not interested in play fighting, then again I was in the army and keep thinking "why the hell doesn't he just drop down and break his arm?!" whenever I watch it.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
All this talk about her being egotistical yet I've only ever seen other people praise her. Even if she is egotistical, so what? She has every right to be seeing how shes earned all the praise she gets.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
lord canti said:
All this talk about her being egotistical yet I've only ever seen other people praise her. Even if she is egotistical, so what? She has every right to be seeing how shes earned all the praise she gets.
I think people draw a pretty distinct line between being egotistical, even arrogant, and just straight up being a jerk and having zero sportmanship, and Rousey crossed that line a while ago. Not touching gloves, talking trash, disrespecting her opponents, starting weird feuds (at some point she randomly started this whole feud with ring girl Arianny Celeste, who I don't think had ever even talked to her before), and just generally coming across as borderline childish.

ecoho said:
its UFC so yeah not interested in play fighting, then again I was in the army and keep thinking "why the hell doesn't he just drop down and break his arm?!" whenever I watch it.
You should totally compete, you'd make a ton of money.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Ihateregistering1 said:
lord canti said:
I think people draw a pretty distinct line between being egotistical, even arrogant, and just straight up being a jerk and having zero sportmanship, and Rousey crossed that line a while ago. Not touching gloves, talking trash, disrespecting her opponents, starting weird feuds (at some point she randomly started this whole feud with ring girl Arianny Celeste, who I don't think had ever even talked to her before), and just generally coming across as borderline childish.

ecoho said:
You should totally compete, you'd make a ton of money.
nope id be disqualified for intentionally maiming my opponent in order to win.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I'm glad, but for her sake. Absolutely dominating people like she had been gets really old after awhile. If there isn't a sense of a challenge in the fighting, people will stop caring. At least now she can paint her loss as being crippled by arrogance and make a tidy little redemption story out of it.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Redryhno said:
And to be fair, just looking it up, yeah, shitty comments and all, but Fox spent like 25 years as a dude. The final part of your body to fully develop, generally the brain and for some reason some of the bones in your wrists(I think, please correct me if I'm wrong), are done by 23. Bone density and structure doesn't just disappear at that point, even after therapy. To a point, he has something to be listened to in that part of the shittiness. Hell, I think Rousey even said she didn't think there would be anything unfair about fighting someone that started the therapy before puberty and case-by-case otherwise. Of which Fox is a no for reasons other than trans-ient nature(haha bad puns), apparently she's not as good at fighting as she is at pulling her trans card, just going by comments surrounding that little snafu.

I really don't want to start a trans debate here either, so I think I'll just leave it at that.
The problem is that the bone density and bone structure debates are generally made by people whose knowledge of anatomy would make a high schooler scoff. When it comes to grappling, women actually have an advantage of a bone structure that's meant to be more stable, but the differences are mostly marginal. Bone density is pretty much an average thing that also has rather marginal effects. The one point Rousey could have made in this debate is muscles, but as most trans women know, FTM hormone replacement therapy obliterates muscle faster than starvation. So it's purely the stereotypical transphobic bullshit line of; "that's really a man!", being used here, nothing more. The bone density, structure, along with muscle structure, and density argument is said to be why males can't ever dance on pointe. Well I'm trans and I learned to dance on pointe so... Yeah. Those arguments mean less than nothing to me.

OT: With the Fallon Fox comments, backing up open transphobia in sports she's done, plus her just unsportsmanlike and horrible behavior. I'm glad she got knocked out by someone competent. Because really her career has been championed, but it's really just a nasty smear on the sport. Some people defend her behavior as the spectacle of the show, no, even the biggest trash talkers and villains in the sport treat their opponents as badly as her. Really she's been given a cake walk for her career from what I've seen, now she gets a real opponent and loses, good, that undefeated record was basically a lie as far as I can tell.

Just for clarity: I don't watch ultimate fighting, or any other MMA, but what got me looking at Rousey was her statements that someone else showed me. I just don't like anything about her, seems to have no redeeming qualities as far as I can tell.

Cette

Legacy
Dec 16, 2011
Country
US
Generally not a fan of hardcore shit talkers so seeing one get soundly beaten always brings q smile to my face. That and she really should have faced Carano or Santos by now if she was going to talk as big as she did.

Shinclone

Nov 20, 2011
I'm glad she got served a dose of humble pie. She's a phenomenal athlete and has done a great deal for womens mma, but as a person she is just awful. I watched the ultimate fighter which she coached and she came across as an overly emotional asshole with some real mental problems.
Perhaps she'll do a GSP and come back more respectful of her opponents, at the least she'll have to fire the guy in her corner who told her it was going great after the first round, and to stay standing. The guy's a moron.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
This is the first I've heard of this, but from what you've said, I get the impression that I'd also be glad she lost if I'd been following the current events. I never root for people with poor sportsmanship in any event.