Poll: Is batman a superhero?

Darkgoosey666

Jul 18, 2010
Right so after my geography exam and before my history one me and a friend argued about batman. She said he didnt have powers, so he was a regular 'hero' and i said by that logic iron man isnt a super hero, and that i will not stand for.

Anyway the debate snowballed until everyone and their dog had an opinion, so escapist, is batman a superhero?

BTW escapist, what the hell happened to my poll? there was a 'no' option!

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
Super? no. Hero? Yes. He's a costumed hero much like the Watchmen. His only superpower is gobs and gobs of excess cash. Iron man is the same. In all honesty, I respect these two more than those with superpowers because they can't just develop a new power when the going gets tough. They have to think their way through things and outwit their enemies. They don't call Batman the world's greatest detective for nothing!

Jul 13, 2010
Hero; yes

Super; no

He does all the saving and crime fighting without any super-powers, so he's more of just a hero then a super-hero. Same goes for Iron Man

EDIT: Oi person above me, stop stealing my opening line.

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
I always categorize him with iron man too. Despite how unrealistic (at least for modern times) they both are, they ARE the most realistic out of the super heroes (Superman? ice breath and laser beams? really?) I'd say that makes them super heroes. they got their powers by........being really rich..... I suppose that's alot better than falling in a pit of radioactive alien seamen to obtain your 'super' powers. Anyways, I agree with you! :)

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
What's that quote? Any sufficiently advanced technology can be perceived as magic? I'm paraphrasing here but Batman is a super-hero just by kicking ass physically and with his gadgets.

I'd say his bat-cave/car/equipment/money alone would make him a superhero.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Of course he is. He may not have powers, but he does incredible things that normal people are not normally capable of. He fights and beats super powered beings with skill and intelligence. I've even heard that he is stronger than some heroes that have superhuman strength. And check his file in Batman: Arkham Asylum.
*Master of all known martial arts
*Photographic memory
*Trained psychologist
*trained criminologist
So on and so forth. Yeah, he may not have powers, but Batman is superhuman all the same.
Mind you that I don't read the comics, but Batman is one of my favorite superheroes.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
He's only a Hero but how meaning Superheroes/Super Villians can beat while not breaking a sweat? That's what makes him so amazing becuase at the end of the He's only human with a fancy belt and vehicles. To better prove my point.
"Justice League Unlimtited: Patroit Act"​

Triangulon

Nov 20, 2009
Not really. He is awesome and my favourite hero by far but his super power is being really loaded. If he's a super hero then so's Donald Trump. Mind you, Toupeeman has a certain ring to it...

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
A superhero can be defined by his deeds and not his powers. Batman fights evil and saves the world, therefore he's a superhero.

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
If anything, Batman's lack of 'superpowers' makes him better than most other costumed heroes as he has only his personal skills to work off of, and yet he can still fight with the best of them.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
He's the world's greatest detective, but he's also a gizmo-hero. He has no superpowers of his own, but separate Iron Man from his suit and leave them to duke it out and Batman would win every time (something about being a martial artist with an angst-wish as opposed to a narcisist with fancy armour).

But no, neither Batman nor Ironman is a 'superhero'. They're both just gizmos.

EDIT: This does bring Green Lantern into question as well - is his ring technological or magical?

Shihan2

Apr 14, 2009
I think this was addressed in DC lore some years ago with its intelligence rating system. Batman, Luthor and a few other characters who don't have super powers have incredible intellects at the genius level, so one can argue that their superior brain power is a super power. This is all info I got from a classmate one day who's spent a few grand of comics during the corse on his life so I'm inclined to take his word. But really, it's friggin Batman.

Wutaiflea

Mar 17, 2009
Saltyk said:
Of course he is. He may not have powers, but he does incredible things that normal people are not normally capable of. He fights and beats super powered beings with skill and intelligence. I've even heard that he is stronger than some heroes that have superhuman strength. And check his file in Batman: Arkham Asylum.
*Master of all known martial arts
*Photographic memory
*Trained psychologist
*trained criminologist
So on and so forth. Yeah, he may not have powers, but Batman is superhuman all the same.
Mind you that I don't read the comics, but Batman is one of my favorite superheroes.
I agree with this.

So he doesn't have super powers in the same style as Superman or the X-Men, but he was "super" in that he honed himself to a physical and mental peak in order to take down super powered enemies against the odds. I think that's pretty "super".

One thing you did forget though Saltyk, which I think is probably one of the most stand-out things that elevated Batman from "hero" to "superhero" is his financial resources.

I mean, the most heroic guy in the world can train all day every day, and design tools and vehicles designed to thwart criminals, but without Batman's super budget, it would never come to fruition.

Swarley

Apr 5, 2010
a hero, esp. in children's comic books and television cartoons, possessing extraordinary, often magical powers.

Well he is the worlds greatest detective, manages to beat up legions of men with his "bare hands," and somehow recovered from a broken spine.

Kair

Sep 14, 2008
If a superhero needs superhuman powers, Batman is no superhero. If a superhero is a superior hero, Batman is a superhero.

rancher of monsters

Oct 31, 2010
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary definition a superhero is " a fictional hero having extraordinary or superhuman powers; also : an exceptionally skillful or successful person"

So while Batman doesn't fit the powers part he is a skillful and succesful person. I say yes.