Poll: Is Battlefield Heroes making a mockery of WWII?

Piotr621

Jan 6, 2009
With it's cartoony graphics, it is not surprising that their have been a few outcries of Battlefield Heroes making a mockery of World War 2, all those who served and lost their lives to it. I can see from what perspective those people are looking from here, but I do not sense that the game openly mocks the 2nd World War. In my opinion, it is merely using that setting as a "backdrop" to the game, and it is not trying to be a parody of WWII. But that's just my opinion.

Boxinatorizore

Mar 25, 2009
It could be but then again they could just be making a game with a different art style for the hell of it.

nataziel

Mar 28, 2009
I've never really thought about it from that angle but I suppose yeah they kind of are... Not purposefully mind you, but it is kind of disrespectful to turn something so horrible into a game, but it's not really any different from medal of honor/call of duty, which do basically the same thing. The whole cartoony aspect shouldn't really come into play, the bigger issue here is turning something so horrible into entertainment, no matter what kind of form that entertainment takes

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
No course not, its like saying Resi 5 makes a mockery of Bio-terrorism

its just the style of the game, and hell i'm sure WW2 veterans will like it because it wont be so real, they wont collapse into seizures or feint at the sight of it when memories come rushing back

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
I personally see it more as a parody of Word War II video games than the actual war itself. Wolfenstein 3D on the other hand can certainly be interpreted as a mockery of the war.

Amsay

Mar 26, 2009
COD:WaW mocked WWII by suggesting that Japanese banzai chargers had brains the size of peas.

I just got my Beta key to BF:H, so I'll play it before I answer.

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
well (thanks to my nerd knowledge) battlefield heroes's plot doesnt actually have anything to do with ww2. it is about germany (national army) vs britain (royal army) with them battling about who gets to host the years olympic games. i read that in a magazine somewhere.

sniperworm

Apr 16, 2009
I'm in the beta for the game, the only truly disrespectful thing about the game is some of the people in it, as with any other online game.

It's a fun a game and it could have easily been based around any other conflict or time period and many beta testers actually get quite vocal if others try to compare it too much to WW2, and others if people request things that can't be found in that period of time. Humans are a funny lot.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
While its sort of WW2 based... it removes itself from reality as much as it can. What with either team being called something totally different, the custom clothing meaning that you wont see many normal WW2 uniforms and such. Not sure on the weapons (Though I know the vehcles are all very WW2 looking.)

All I see with BFH though, is EA looking how great TF2 was, and thinking "Which of our francises can we stick those popular alternative graphics onto!"

XUnsafeNormalX

Mar 26, 2009
It'd be a mockery if the guns shot candy and all the soldiers yelled lame puns.

Cell Shaded Graphics are not a mockery.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
Nothing will mock WWII as much as when CoD:WaW did that thing on Veteran's Day.

Seriously, couldn't they have waited?

R4GNOR0K

Feb 14, 2009
The game is trying to be fun, and are the cartoon graphics worse than every other WWII game that glorifies the war making it seem better than it was.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
In short: No.

In long: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Amsay said:
COD:WaW mocked WWII by suggesting that Japanese banzai chargers had brains the size of peas.

How did it suggest that they had brains the size of peas.....? :S

jahsol

Jan 14, 2009
Amsay said:

The only thing CoD:WaW suggested is that the CoD player base has a brain the size of peas, and would buy any garbage with a CoD label slapped on it.

Amsay

Mar 26, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Amsay said:

How did it suggest that they had brains the size of peas.....? :S
Because they run straight past you to get to your teammates (if this teammate happens to be a main character they will just stab them, let them get up, stab them again etc) or vice versa.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
If we say 'Battlefield heroes is making a mockery of WWII', you may as well say every game where you don't have to sit through a year long tutorial, die with one bullet, and never get to restart is making a mockery of it.

Seriously, I admire the sheer courage of the people who fought and lived through the war, but so long as we remember what the real war was like, and so long as it doesn't include offensive stuff designed to imply one side did X, Y, Z when they didn't, fair enough.