Poll: Is Character Coustomization a Must for RPGs?

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
After playing a few RPGs recently I kept asking myself "Is this character Coustomization really needed". I understand its to make your character have a unique identity but sometimes it seems like a pointless delay. MMO coustomization especially seems like a delay. On WoW I've seen at least 20 different people with the exact same design. So I was wondering, what does The Escapist thing about this?

CalCD

Aug 5, 2010
Its fine if there are enough options to make it meaningful, so you wont feel like you're amongst an army of clones in multi especially.
Half assed customisation is just meh, detracts from the game experience.
No customisation at all makes it simpler, but people like to have their own persona thats unique, especially in games where they will spend a lot of time building a character up - in oblivion, for example.

Durxom

May 12, 2009
Not really. I mean I'm all for games like Oblivion and such, but sometimes I don't want to have to completely make up a story and background for a person just so I can play and enjoy a game. I'd rather just follow Lloyd Irving, or Zidane & Co. go on their quest.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
To me, it depends on how much control you have over the customization. If the only options are hair styles and eye colors than I would say that it's pointless. However, if it's very in depth than I love it. I've spent hours in character customization in games so while it's not a must, it's a nice addition.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
If done well it can be a definite plus. I really liked the customization in Fable II and how it's all a reflection of your choices and actions in the world, at least until your character turned into a giant ogre. It it's superficial, or doesn't change how people interact with you then it can be pretty pointless. Then again it is nice to decide how the character you're gonna be staring at for next few hours looks.

Swny Nerdgasm

Jul 31, 2010
It depends on the story of the game IMHO, if it's a well thought out high fantasy story with a clear protagonist, then no. But if the game is more about how some scrappy underdog rises up and beats the man, or has any element of multiplayer, then yeah at least some sort of customization would be nice

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Not a must...but it makes any game better for me. I love character customization. The more mine it is, the better. Even if it is just how the main character looks is nicer (Godfather II you are Dominic Corleone, but you decide how he looks from skin to face to clothes) I prefer Morrowind for a reason. Though Mass Effect is a nice transition. (But going from near full to ME style in DA2 annoys me greatly)

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
I don't think it's a must. If it's an RPG where you play a specific role for a pre-made story, no, I'm okay with playing whoever they designed for the role. But if it's an MMO, or a game where the story isn't so concrete (fallout 3), I do like some leeway to sculpt the character I see fit, both statistically and physically. I want him to feel like me =]

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
thedeathscythe said:
I don't think it's a must. If it's an RPG where you play a specific role for a pre-made story, no, I'm okay with playing whoever they designed for the role. But if it's an MMO, or a game where the story isn't so concrete (fallout 3), I do like some leeway to sculpt the character I see fit, both statistically and physically. I want him to feel like me =]
So if its about a specific character then yes. But if its like a free form thing then no?

(P.S. Did you get your name from Soul Eater? Just wondering because I'm keeping up my proud tradition of asking stupid meaningless questions)

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Judgement101 said:
thedeathscythe said:
So if its about a specific character then yes. But if its like a free form thing then no?

(P.S. Did you get your name from Soul Eater? Just wondering because I'm keeping up my proud tradition of asking stupid meaningless questions)
Exactly. If they want me to act like my own character, let me be my own character. If they want me to follow their linear storyline, I'll be their character they made for it.

I didn't actually, I got it from Gundam Wing, I used to use "deathscythe" on ps2 online games but I came across a few where the name was taken. When PS3 came around, "deathscythe" was taken again so I had to choose "thedeathscythe". Then, I found that my name doesn't fit in most RPG's where you name your own character, so I gotta put "TDS", and all my friends go "Tidas? like it's short for Tidas?" and I go "No..." I just can't win!

Mar 9, 2010
It's not a must but it definitely adds to the whole story of the game if you have a background. It depends entirely on the game and the amount of customisation you have over your character of course.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
thedeathscythe said:
Judgement101 said:
thedeathscythe said:

Exactly. If they want me to act like my own character, let me be my own character. If they want me to follow their linear storyline, I'll be their character they made for it.

I didn't actually, I got it from Gundam Wing, I used to use "deathscythe" on ps2 online games but I came across a few where the name was taken. When PS3 came around, "deathscythe" was taken again so I had to choose "thedeathscythe". Then, I found that my name doesn't fit in most RPG's where you name your own character, so I gotta put "TDS", and all my friends go "Tidas? like it's short for Tidas?" and I go "No..." I just can't win!
TDS sounds like something that Nintendo would make. Your friends seem.......out there....

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
I think it's a must if it's in an MMO, because when you're in a huge world full of exact clones, you don't have much room to roleplay. That being said, it also needs to be done well. If the character customization doesn't have enough choices, or if most of the choices look retarded, then there isn't much of a point to it at all.

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
Matters little to me, you cover your meat shields up form head to toe in bulky armor like anyone could see me.

w00tage99

May 12, 2009
I don't find character customization necessary, but I do enjoy being able to make my character look how ever I want.