Poll: Is higher education worth it?

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I've interviewed at too many places to count that refuse to even look at a portfolio if it doesn't have a degree attached. Sad that a slip of paper is required when a portfolio of work and a resume should suffice but that is the age we live in.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Dags90 said:
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
I don't have a degree... I joined the military instead... All I needed was 2 A-levels, and to convince the board that I had what it takes to be a military officer... and now I have a career, no debt, and the military is actually going to give me a degree when I finish a few more courses... and I haven't paid a penny! (In fact they pay me!)

So... in my case... no, it isn't that important! Maybe when I come out of the force I may need a degree, but at the moment it will mean nothing!
I think it's kind of silly to say "no", then say "but I'm technically about to get a degree from the military", and "I might need one after I'm done with the military".
It's because I rushed and said 'isn't' when I meant to say 'wasn't'. I have a career until I am 50, and a pension on top of that... The only reason I will need a degree now is if I choose to come out of the military, and want a similar paid job... alsthough my proffessional training is also highly sought after, so a degree in that case would just be as a tool to make myself more competative...

If I complete the courses and the military give me a degree it is just a bonus... but will not enable me to further my career at this point... professional training and my track record will do that from now on.

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
Wolverine18 said:
yeti585 said:
Degrees have become increasingly wortheless in the United States. That is, they are what a high school diploma used to mean (no, I do not have statistics, but look at the job market. We are losing "unskilled" jobs by the day).
You have it backwards then. If degrees have become what highschool was, then the need for degrees is higher, not lower. Basically, what this guy is saying...

newwiseman said:
I've interviewed at too many places to count that refuse to even look at a portfolio if it doesn't have a degree attached. Sad that a slip of paper is required when a portfolio of work and a resume should suffice but that is the age we live in.
In some cases that you used to need highschool, you now need university just to be considered.
I never said the need for them has dropped. I said that they aren't worth what they used to be worth.
In some cases that you used to need highschool, you now need university just to be considered.
exactly what I meant.

Kerboom

May 3, 2012
It really depends on what you do. If you're doing science or computing, yes. It's incredibly useful. You'll almost definitely get a job. Etc.

If you're doing arts or something, I pity you.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
Matthew94 said:
alik44 said:
In this day in age with tuition cost on the rise would you consider the cost of obtaining a degree worth it.
Well in the UK the student loan system means the risk is minimal. If you cannot pay it back by a certain date it is wiped and if you don't earn enough you don't need to pay payments on it.
Isn't that kind of system terrible for taxpayers?
It's basically the same as letting someone buy a third car and buy a condo but if they can't finish paying for them and/or they lose their job so they can't make payments period then they get to keep them anyways.
As a future taxpayer don't you find this kind of system unfair for whosever money their taking in order to form these loans?

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Um... I want a degree in performing arts... I have no idea whether to go to a uni after college or a specific school or what, literally no one who I have ever asked, even actors in theatre have ever given me good advice other than the same cheesy shite about "follow your dream". Yes I will but in order to do that I could do with a few fucking POINTERS!

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Matthew94 said:
alik44 said:
In this day in age with tuition cost on the rise would you consider the cost of obtaining a degree worth it.
Well in the UK the student loan system means the risk is minimal. If you cannot pay it back by a certain date it is wiped and if you don't earn enough you don't need to pay payments on it.
Damn. Studying in the UK seems like a swell deal. I wish I could have gone to study abroad. It's cool, though; I was able to pay for my own tuition so I don't have any debts to worry about.

OT: So yeah, I definitely believe that it is worth pursuing a higher education.

Why? Put simply, it will put you head and shoulder above others who are applying for a job. Even if you are unable to find a career at first, you could at least get a decent salary in the meantime at another job due to having your degree.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
Wolverine18 said:
A Satanic Panda said:
Kendarik said:
A Satanic Panda said:
I know a guy that majored in an economics course, and half way through the semester he used what he had learned to figure out it's no longer economically viable to stay there.
That's like someone claiming their made an informed medical decision after half of one semester of intro biology/premed.
Except now he's filthy rich.
And so are some people who went to university. I think the point was that his taking half of one term in economics didn't make him an economics genius, or even indicate that he had a clue about economics.
That's the funny thing about economics...

Anyway, the stuff they teach you in the first semester is the economic equivalent of "Bones go inside the skin" to biology.

Because a lot of it is not intuitive, much of what you learn early on is something you can act on.

OT: The value of a higher education depends heavily on the degree you get. Unfortunately, the US gov has been pushing this kind of education for everyone, and as a result, there is a serious lack of interest in vocational schooling (which can often land you a job with better pay than a uni degree).

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
I think it's worth it if you actually want to go and put in the time. If you're one of the thousands of students who's only reason for going is because their parents said they had to then I'd recommend taking a few years off, doing some hard manual labour work (construction, kitchen, dock work, etc.) It's good for three things, you learn that you're not made of glass and that you can get use to waking up at 5 or 6 A.M. and spend 8 to 10 hours on your feet, you get a unique sense of satisfaction that I've not felt with white collar desk jobs or customer service based retail, and most importantly you'll realize that this is what your life will probably be if you don't go to college. Higher education doesn't exalt you above manual labour work, but it means you don't have to do it till the day you get too old to do it anymore.

If/ when you decide to go to college or University I'd say do your first two years at a community college and then transfer. I mean why pay more for your math and English classes? The material is still the same. You never know, your time doing these manual labour jobs that will never become redundant may actually make you realize you like construction, and perhaps you want to become an architect, or maybe a chef, or even a mechanic. If not then at least you'll know that you're not above such labours when you get out and are in between jobs as you try to find the career job that suits your major.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
piinyouri said:
Matthew94 said:
alik44 said:
What the actual fuck?

I mean, that's great, that sounds wonderful.
I just wonder why The United Nazis of America hasn't thought about it yet.

I've got 8K to pay back.
Mate, that system DOES exist in the US. After a while, you're loans are forgiven if you have not defaulted on them. So if you make regular payments for the 30 or whatever years it is, and you haven't payed them off, you're forgiven. Of course, that's a crap place to be as you'll end up paying MUCH more than 8k. You're better off just paying it off.

OT: YES. It's worth it. If you get a degree in something meaningful, then you'll make the tonnes of monnes. If you do some random humanities or arts degree, you'll have less chance. But the education you gain is worth more money (if you go to a good school) than you'll ever make.

I did my BA in Political Science because I really enjoyed it, then my MS in Public Health and Epidemiology then did an MD, PHD (Differed my PhD till after my residency; I'm working on it now) in Peds Oncology and Biomedical Informatics. The only debt I got was in undergrad, and I went to a public school in-state so it wasn't all THAT expensive. No-one should EVER pay for grad school, you find funding; and if you do an MD/PHD they'll pay for both.

I will say that it is absolutely not worth it if you aren't going to use your skills in the real world, or aren't focused enough for school. If you don't like learning, then you won't like college or any other postsecondary education.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Education is ALWAYS worth it, just don't get too hung up on the idea that the only path is nothing but school. School is good, but school + practical experience, even its just life experience, is worth more.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Depends where you live.
Here in Denmark the state pays for your education, as well as paying you monthly in compensation for not being able to work while studying.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
Yopaz said:
I didn't ignore any of your points. I simply ignored any points that weren't connected to the fact that you had a degree in history. Oh, that's all of the points. Your friend has a degree in history and is taking post grad in law. OK, that tells me nothing of what history does. It tells me it is possible to take a degree in history and move on to get a different degree. Law firms like history degrees is still not an argument for what a history degree is useful for. You haven't mentioned one thing that you gain from taking a degree in history than you don't gain from sociology, philosophy or literature.
me said:
I wasn't really focusing on the large amounts of information part, rather how History teaches you to contextualise the information. Such as specific times and dates, the motives of the people involved and the way the events had an effect on society.

Yes there are probably other degrees that deal with similar things, but History deals with them in a way which is particularly useful to anyone studying law.
Yopaz said:
Your friend has a degree in history is not something gained from the degree itself. Law firm likes a history degree is not something gained form the degree. What I was saying in my earlier posts is that the fact that you got the degree is worth more than what you learned while taking the degree. You have pretty much confirmed that to me now.
me said:
I said my friend had done one because she's training to become a barrister, because Law firms like that degree....... because it's good at showcasing disciplines that they look for in their potential employees.
Notice how in this post I didn't add any new information to the conversation. I simply took points that I'd made in previous posts and applied them to your comments here. Also notice how they answer the questions you're asking whilst claiming no one is answering them.

Good times.

I agree with Lethos, I can't tell whether you're being deliberately obtuse or if you just don't get it.
"Law firms like that degree" is not a skill gained from taking a degree. Also, please when have I ever said that having a second degree does not earn you extra credits? I have said this in all of my posts as far as I know. Both of you keep referring to what you have said, but you don't seem to have grasped one single point from my posts.

Now try to understand what I am asking here. Does history teach you any important skills than no other study teaches which can't be gained by studying philosophy or sociology? Does the history degree grant people jobs without being a supplement to a more important degree? A history degree might be extra credits, can you tell me one other thing than that and don't give me the bullshit about contextualizing information since that's a major component of almost any higher education.