Poll: Is higher education worth it?

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
If you're in the UK and don't fall into the middle class bracket then yes.
The government loans you the money to pay for it, and contributes to your fees, then you don't even have to pay it back if you end up in a dead end job, like me. However the life experience and confidence that you get from being at uni, might not get you into your chosen field but it does make you more employable as a person.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
No. A lot of degrees are absolutely useless pieces of paper that cost you an eye and an arm to get, and probably put you into a lot of debt to get.
Also: you're probably not going to get a job anyway.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Yopaz said:
Calm down.
Internet Forum ≠ Constructing a strong argument for an essay. It takes me about 5 minutes to wright a post, I'm hardly going to be putting time and effort into it. To add to that, I wasn't even aware we were having an argument, I thought we were having a polite conversation.

I don't understand why you're so intent on trying to get me to justify my degree. You said History was a worthless degree. I disagreed and said that History can lead to many opportunities. You then proceeded to tell me I'm wrong. I told you that History meshes well with Law (consequently, how long ago did you study History? You seem to have a pretty weird understanding of the subject), you told me that many other subjects mesh well with Law. I'm not arguing against that because I agree with it. Additionally, knows students who studied Philosophy etc. and then picked up an LL.B/GDL/CPE would be more attractive than a candidate who only had a Law degree.

Life is not so black and white that one degree leads to only a job related to that degree.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Lethos said:
Yopaz said:
Calm down.
Internet Forum ≠ Constructing a strong argument for an essay. It takes me about 5 minutes to wright a post, I'm hardly going to be putting time and effort into it. To add to that, I wasn't even aware we were having an argument, I thought we were having a polite conversation.

I don't understand why you're so intent on trying to get me to justify my degree. You said History was a worthless degree. I disagreed and said that History can lead to many opportunities. You then proceeded to tell me I'm wrong. I told you that History meshes well with Law (consequently, how long ago did you study History? You seem to have a pretty weird understanding of the subject), you told me that many other subjects mesh well with Law. I'm not arguing against that because I agree with it. Additionally, knows students who studied Philosophy etc. and then picked up an LL.B/GDL/CPE would be more attractive than a candidate who only had a Law degree.

Life is not so black and white that one degree leads to only a job related to that degree.
The fact that I refer to our posts as arguments doesn't mean we're actually arguing.

You ask me to calm down rather than to address my post. You're telling me again that history can be a stepping stone which I have agreed with for quite a while now. I also ask you to quote me where I said history is a useless degree. I said that a history degree wont grant you a job and so far you haven't proven me wrong on that. You mentioned how it can help your law career, but the degree in law is what gets you on the list of qualified applicants. The fact that you have the degree in history is just something that may make you look more interesting.

Also you seem to be surprised that I ask you to justify your degree. Well, we wouldn't be having this discussion if you didn't jump in and quote me telling me I'm wrong. If you want to tell me I'm wrong, that's OK, however make sure you can actually back that up with anything substantial.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Yopaz said:
Okay I'm going to stop here because you're either deliberately being obtuse or legitimately can't see how circular you're being. Both me and Abandon have been trying to explain this to you but you're being as stubborn as a mule.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
piinyouri said:
Matthew94 said:
alik44 said:
In this day in age with tuition cost on the rise would you consider the cost of obtaining a degree worth it.
Well in the UK the student loan system means the risk is minimal. If you cannot pay it back by a certain date it is wiped and if you don't earn enough you don't need to pay payments on it.
What the actual fuck?

I mean, that's great, that sounds wonderful.
I just wonder why The United Nazis of America hasn't thought about it yet.

I've got 8K to pay back.
UK here, i've always been told that once I start earning more than 15,000 a year i'll be paying it back in absolutely tiny installments. I'll be paying it off for the majority of my life, but its totally worth it.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Lethos said:
Yopaz said:
Okay I'm going to stop here because you're either deliberately being obtuse or legitimately can't see how circular you're being. Both me and Abandon have been trying to explain this to you but you're being as stubborn as a mule.
Actually, I can see how circular this is and I have been saying so several times. I have repeated the fact that I am repeating myself and getting the same response every time. We're doing laps here and I have said so several laps ago. I accepted the fact that history works together with another degree in my second post in this thread.

You don't even seem to be willing to accept the fact that this started with you so I don't see any point in even trying to have a reasonable conversation with you. I bet I could show you proof for this and you still wouldn't accept it.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
No don't bother getting a degree, that way when you work as an associate at McDonalds (You need a degree to be a store manager) us who have degrees can take that higher paying job you would of gotten.

Seriously though get a degree, even if its basket weaving get at least a BA.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
If games have taught me anything it's that anything worth having is either gonna take effort, time, money, or a combination thereof. A degree takes all 3 so go figure.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mythrandia said:
lacktheknack said:
Getting a diploma that lets me work in any technical field costs $4000 around here. Degrees cost from $6000 to $20000.

Seems worth it to me.
yes in california you can pass high school early (there are ways), take 3 CLEP tests, enroll in University of San Luis Obispo, School of Law, learn stuffs, pay between $0-5000/year, depending on if you are smart and can do favors for teachers, and also, if you do this, later in your life you can take teh california state bar, then you can talk in legalese and nobody except certain ppl will know what you are talking about. Can you guys read this stuff:?

Essay 3 - Evidence:
call 1 - logical relevance, hearsay, present sense impression, state of mind of mechanic(?), expert opinion

call 2 - logical relevance, hearsay, business records, present recollection refreshed, past recollection recorded, learned treatise(yeah right), state of mind of mechanic (?), best evidence, opinion

call 3 - logical relevance, hearsay, effect on listener, state of mind, opinion

call 4 - logical relevance, hearsay, admission (exemption), admission (california?), not a declaration against interest due to availibility, present sense impression(?), state of mind of declarant

call 5 - logical relevance, legal relevance, hearsay, excited utterance (anonymous declarant ok), present sense impression

PT-A
1) did she have access to confidences?
2) presumption she received confidences
3) were the confidences substantially factually similar? would they be of use in the present litigation?
4) her research used by board of trustees in formulating the medical care for indigents policy
5) her research has provided her with knowledge of internal liablity-shielding company policy and may have contributed the board's orchestration of these internal policies
6) must be disqualified
5) presumption that confidences were shared with her firm
5) irrebutable - minority, rebuttable, majority
6) timely and effective?
7) timliness - discuss conflict-checking program, issuance of memorandum
8) effectiveness - discuss 10 person office, 2 attorney project, her supervisory role, the physical proximity of their offices, the judge's belief that she has not disclosed confidences
9) balance - client's interest in choice of representation vs former client's interest in confidentiality, discuss hardships on both sides, contentions regarding availibility of alternate law firms to represent plaintiff, interest the firm has in keeping the case, precautions the firm should have taken (transfer her to other physical location...)
10) conclude that the ethical wall was sufficient given the circumstanes or insufficient under circumstances after all relevant considerations and tell the judge it is within his discretion to decide either way, since the Model Rules of professional conduct are silent
Good God, you're like the new "I Can Help You". Cool, we desperately needed more barely readable Markov chain stream-of-consciousness weirdness floating around the site.

I can't tell if you're telling me I'm full of crap, if you're saying that there's obscure/unethical methods of doing it that cheap, or if you're saying absolutely nothing at all.

I'll just say that Canada is cool and leave it at that.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
It depends on the person and the field they plan going into. Some fields essentially require a degree (such as the STEM fields or teaching), so university/college is definitely worthwhile. Art history... not as much. That's not to say art history can't be self-fulfilling for an individual, but financially speaking, it really isn't.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
lets assume you spend thousands of dollars on getting a masters in a field where there is a slim chance of employment 4 to 8 years from now...The experiences you get from a higher education alone make it worth it in my humble opinion.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I don't have a degree... I joined the military instead... All I needed was 2 A-levels, and to convince the board that I had what it takes to be a military officer... and now I have a career, no debt, and the military is actually going to give me a degree when I finish a few more courses... and I haven't paid a penny! (In fact they pay me!)

So... in my case... no, it isn't that important! Maybe when I come out of the force I may need a degree, but at the moment it will mean nothing!

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
I don't have a degree... I joined the military instead... All I needed was 2 A-levels, and to convince the board that I had what it takes to be a military officer... and now I have a career, no debt, and the military is actually going to give me a degree when I finish a few more courses... and I haven't paid a penny! (In fact they pay me!)

So... in my case... no, it isn't that important! Maybe when I come out of the force I may need a degree, but at the moment it will mean nothing!
I think it's kind of silly to say "no", then say "but I'm technically about to get a degree from the military", and "I might need one after I'm done with the military".

Right now is a shitty time to be fresh out with a degree. Boy do I know that. But it's also a really shitty time to be in your 30's with no degree.

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
Degrees have become increasingly wortheless in the United States. That is, they are what a high school diploma used to mean (no, I do not have statistics, but look at the job market. We are losing "unskilled" jobs by the day).