Poll: Is incest wrong if it's consensual?

kabooz18

May 27, 2009
MrDeckard said:
No. There is nothing morally wrong with some family lovin and anyone who jumps to say otherwise is simply blinded by the "Oh, gross" mentality.
seconded, also one should use birth control since incest offspring is not good (that's also the reason why it's against the law in many countries)

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I would say that incestuous reproduction is wrong. Incestuous consensual sex? I have no idea. I'll just say that I'm neutral and leave that particular ball in god's court.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
EverythingIncredible said:
Ghengis John said:
MrDeckard said:
No. There is nothing morally wrong with some family lovin and anyone who jumps to say otherwise is simply blinded by the "Oh, gross" mentality.
Try telling that to the kids, lopsided Clem and three legged Bubba.
Love isn't about kids anymore. The world has changed. Love in this way can definitely apply to people between immediate family members. Hell, I don't see why not.
I see you missed my edit.

Children asides, yes. Yes there is. From a sociological standpoint, one of the draws of marriage is the opportunity created from increasing your social network and available resources with the acquisition of your spouse and their family. From a moral standpoint, that is a perversion of sibling affection. From an interpersonal standpoint that would only serve to make family occasions awkward in the event of a falling out.

Yeah, I agree with you, immediate family members should love each other. Just not romantically. And I have news for you miss, the world has not changed that much. There have always been couples that couldn't have children, I don't think anyone considered their love any less valid. And there will always be a need for someone to have children. Neither fact has changed. Not that I don't appreciate the sentiment.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
Loop Stricken said:
Ensiferum said:
Yes. Ugh hell yes it's wrong and sickening.

And to a some of these replies...wow, just wow, REALLY? You'd REALLY have sex with someone in your IMMEDIATE FAMILY? People are stretching the idea of "tolerance" way, way to far.

Speaking of being sick...I need to leave these forums for a while.
You could've avoided it by not opening this thread.
Ah who am I kidding; anything to come off as morally righteous and offended by blasphemy, eh.
You think I need an excuse to be offended? I don't come here looking to be offended for an excuse to present myself as "morally righteous," I come here with an opinion formulated by my beliefs and ideals. The OP asked what my opinion was and, based on my beliefs and opinions, I gave it, and I have every right to it. Should I apologize for having standards? And speaking of coming across as "high and mighty," what are your standards if they're so much better than mine? Or is your reason for posting simply a love for passive-aggressive word twisting? Because in that case you're trolling.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Ensiferum said:
And speaking of coming across as "high and mighty," what are your standards if they're so much better than mine? Or is your reason for posting simply a love for passive-aggressive word twisting? Because in that case you're trolling.
1) That the affairs and emotions of others are their own business and I have no real valid reason to be disgusted by them.

2) I do love me some passive-aggressive word twisting, yes.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
Lol.... I haven't logged in or posted on here since around early Feb.... and this is the first thread I see. Nice to see nothing has changed.

And to answer your question.... For me yes, I think it's more gross then morally wrong though. However who you bone is your own business.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Um, incest isn't wrong because it's not consensual. Not consensual sex is rape but that's a different issue. Incest is wrong because its taboo. Most every culture has internal rules about not doing it with close family members. (Its likely partially biological since incest produces low viability in offspring and thus would be weeded out by evolution). It's society's rule that you can't stick it in your sister or your mother and that's why its wrong, consensual or not.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
Shadeovblack said:
No. Their bodies, Their choice.
My attitude towards sex, drugs, alcohol, and suicide.

Nicely played, good sir, nicely played.

On topic: It doesn't matter to me, really. I don't give a damn either way.

witness51

Oct 17, 2010
shadowyoasis said:
Lagao said:
Instead of boning your family member, take a walk into town, find a hooker, and do her.
That way thanksgiving isnt awkward.
Except for the fact you'll be scratching more. They arent clean.
Thats why I pay extra, so they let me hose them down first.
Dude, you're getting ripped off. Just tell them that it's part of your foreplay.

witness51

Oct 17, 2010
Ghengis John said:
MrDeckard said:
Try telling that to the kids, lopsided Clem and three legged Bubba. The genetic standpoint says it's a bad idea.
I lol'd so hard at this.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
Twilight_guy said:
Incest is wrong because its taboo.
Bit like the gays and the interracials. I'm sure it didn't end well for those.
Meh, I'm not giving a judgement, just stating a fact. Who knows what public opinion is going to look like ion the future. Incest might be the way of the future for all I know.

DEATHD0DGER

May 11, 2011
As a Nihilist, I don't believe anything to be objectively morally wrong. So no.

But when it comes to personal morals... I still say no. It's consensual sex for fucks sake, who cares who's doing it?

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Funny, a few days ago, one of my second cousins was over, she's 21, and I haven't seen her since I was 3. She seemed to be flirting with me and I'd always catch her staring at me when I wasn't looking. She seemed to be giving off signs that she was attracted to me, and she kept making strange comments, I was a little weirded out.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Shiny Koi said:
Thaius said:
Well in a society such as the one in which we live, where post-modernism is the predominant philosophy and morality is an entirely subjective concept, there is no reason for anything to be immoral, unless perhaps it harms someone else. I think that's crap, but moral subjectivity is a very popular way of looking at the world right now, and you can't just take the parts you like.

On the other hand, if you have a belief system that provides a basis for an objective, absolute system of morality (read: God), then you have a system laid out for you. And I think in most of those cases, incest is wrong on a basic level no matter what the circumstance.
That would be a pretty bold claim for someone who bases their belief system on a holy text that contains incest every other chapter. The lineaologies are full of them. Heck, they even appear in the New Testament.
To read the Bible and assume that everything in it is a model for how we should live is, to put it bluntly, indicative of a terrible understanding of storytelling. It's like claiming that Star Wars condones killing children because Anakin did it; bad things happen, people do messed up things, and they face the consequences. That's how it works. But it does not mean that those actions are okay, especially if it's outright condemned by the story. Of course there's incest in the Bible, especially before God gave Moses the first real moral code on the subject. Now find me a place where the Bible points to it and says it's okay, and you might actually have something worth consideration.

Beyond that, however, I find it interesting that you assumed my Christianity. My point was simply about theistic religion as a whole, perhaps narrowed down to monotheism, but you proceeded to try and argue against Christianity specifically. Make of that what you will.