Poll: Is Kickball too Dangerous?

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
Maybe it's because I'm an American or something, but wtf is Red Rover? Is it a game with dogs?

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
It's a god damn athletic endeavor. Those are always accompanied by an element of risk. Sure, there are sports that are riskier than others (Rugby for example), but just because risk is involved doesn't mean you should ban such things. And, if you want to do that, what are you going to use for physical education? Curling into the fetal position in a quiet padded room where you're supervised by an adult so that you can be as sure as possible you won't incur some sort of injury?

I honestly pity anyone who lives their lives and never manages to gain a scar in a hard fought encounter in sports and I'm constantly baffled by the increasing need to protect people from one of the fundamental joys in life.

Aethren said:
Maybe it's because I'm an American or something, but wtf is Red Rover? Is it a game with dogs?
It is a game commonly played by younger children. Basically, a group is split into two sides. Each group joins hands and stands across from one another. At a call of "red rover, red rover let come over", the child who's name is called sprints from his position in his line and attempts to break through the opposing line. While there are probably rules associated with scoring and such, when I played we never seemed to keep track of such petty things. If we broke the opposing line, the two members who failed to hold switched sides. If the runner failed to break the line, they joined the team they charged against.

theamazingbean

Dec 29, 2009
Not yet, but I've been exploring possibilities. Coating the balls in something like broken glass is probably the simplest possibility. I've been considering a system whereby the ball has a small explosive inside (probably not big enough to be lethal, maybe blow a foot off) with a trigger that goes off after randomly-determined number of impacts, but maintaining the balls elasticity has always got in the way.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
I once broke a kid's arm in dodgeball..... but he was 12, I was 17, and I could do 110 push ups in a minute.

OT- The instructor can see when things are getting dangerous. I object to everything EXCEPT for red rover.... That shit IS dangerous.

SirDoom

Sep 8, 2009
Hold on just a second... kickball? How is that dangerous?

There's no bat or stick to hit someone with, the ball isn't hard like a baseball, the only physical contact between players is either tagging the other person or hitting them with the ball (which isn't harmful)...

What are they afraid of? The kicker tripping and falling between bases?

Photon987

May 27, 2009
In other news, US politicians will be holding another hearing about what can be done to curb childhood obesity...

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Plurralbles said:
red rover is MEANT to hurt... Kickball, not so much. YOu have to be a failign dumbass piece of shit to get hurt in kickball.
Kids are getting fucking retarded from all this babying.
Dunno how you played red rover. We played a game that was essentially touch rugby with no ball. Everyone lines up on one side of a field, with one kid in the middle, he calls out one kid who then has to get the other side without being tipped (tagged, touched) and then all the other kids run across.

British bulldog was the same but where you had to take them to the ground.

emeraldrafael said:
According to the State of New York it is.

EDIT2: I never said that people wanted to get rid of the above playground games. Just asked if people thought they were "too dangerous" which is the crux of the whole matter.
What's kickball? Is that a funny US way of saying Football (Soccer)?

Also, what's freeze tag?

And what the fuck is Wiffle Ball? o_O

BlackMageBob

Nov 28, 2009
StBishop said:
Plurralbles said:
red rover is MEANT to hurt... Kickball, not so much. YOu have to be a failign dumbass piece of shit to get hurt in kickball.
Kids are getting fucking retarded from all this babying.
Dunno how you played red rover. We played a game that was essentially touch rugby with no ball. Everyone lines up on one side of a field, with one kid in the middle, he calls out one kid who then has to get the other side without being tipped (tagged, touched) and then all the other kids run across.

British bulldog was the same but where you had to take them to the ground.

emeraldrafael said:

EDIT2: I never said that people wanted to get rid of the above playground games. Just asked if people thought they were "too dangerous" which is the crux of the whole matter.

Also, what's freeze tag?

Kickball is baseball without bats or gloves, and a huge air-filled rubber ball. Pitcher throws, kicker kicks from the batter position, run the bases.

Freeze, just like tag, but with large groups of kids. Once tagged, you stand still. Tagger has to get everyone, some version have methods of unfreezing players, or multiple taggers who work as a team. Usually the last to get tagged are the taggers next round.

Baseball with a cheap plastic bat and a hollow ball. The ball is also made of cheap plastic, and half of the ball has a set pattern of holes that make it real easy to do trick throws.

Yeah, so fucking dangerous. I've seen kids hit in the face with a kickball and barely notice.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Dimitriov said:
Custard_Angel said:
Hear! Hear! Well said, when I was a kid one of our favourite games was to go into the woods and get sticks to sword-fight with and to throw at each other as javelins. It was fucking sweet, and of course it was dangerous, so's life.

Also gravel fights on the school playground :D
One of the games I played was called shin kickers. The goal was to be the last man standing.

What were the rules you ask?

1. The only form of offence allowable is a shin kick.
2. You may kick as hard as you like.
3. No punching, shoving, body checking, spitting etc. is allowed.
4. No tree climbing.
5. If you fall down, you aren't allowed to join back in.
6. No kicking people when they fall.

Failure to adhere to the rules was punished with a free shin kick from the person who was offended against.

I kicked. I was kicked. I won games. I lost games.

Memories were had.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
I read this thread and was like: What??

Freeze Tag? You just run and touch each other!

Kickball? Dodgeball maybe but kickball? It's no dangerous than baseball, less even.

*sighs*

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
StBishop said:
emeraldrafael said:

Also, what's freeze tag?

Jesus, People call Americans lazy and we're playing gmaes no one else in the world even knows about. What a bunch of slackers all you are.

Anyway, Freeze tag is tag where if you're tagged, you remain frozen until someone being chased tags you and frees you.

Wiffle ball is baseball, only hte ball has these sections of it missing, making it go faster and able to make a perfect something. I think a curve ball. Point is, its made to hurt much more then a regular baseball.

Kickball is soccer mixed with baseball. you kick a rubber dodgeball and then run the bases. so its basically baseball, only you're kicking a rubber dodgeball, isntead of hitting a ball with a bat.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
StBishop said:
emeraldrafael said:

Also, what's freeze tag?

Jesus, People call Americans lazy and we're playing gmaes no one else in the world even knows about. What a bunch of slackers all you are.

Anyway, Freeze tag is tag where if you're tagged, you remain frozen until someone being chased tags you and frees you.

Wiffle ball is baseball, only hte ball has these sections of it missing, making it go faster and able to make a perfect something. I think a curve ball. Point is, its made to hurt much more then a regular baseball.

Kickball is soccer mixed with baseball. you kick a rubber dodgeball and then run the bases. so its basically baseball, only you're kicking a rubber dodgeball, isntead of hitting a ball with a bat.
We played freeze tag too, except that we called it "Stuck in the Mud" and when you were tagged you had to spead your legs, for you to become "unstuck" someone had to crawl between your legs.
Much harder, by the sounds of things.

The reason we never played the others is because, as far as my friends and I were concerned, Baseball didn't even exist until I started watching American movies. My school didn't own a single baseball mit, or baseballs, or softballs, or badeball bats. TeeBall was introduced in about 1999 so they bought a bunch of softballs, baseball bats and gloves, but we all thought it was lame and went back to cricket, hit the bin, french cricket, mark up, and other modified games of things Austalian's care about.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I thought you meant to say Dodgeball, but no...people are afraid of kickball.

Dodgeball I can kind of get. I was a third basemen in baseball and had an abnormally strong throwing arm while I was young (until a shoulder injury changed that). I was also a mean little shit and aimed for faces in dodgeball and threw with force.

Kickball? It's no more dangerous than any other sport. Football and baseball are worse. I'll never forget the time a friend of mine (as a pitcher) took a line drive to the face. He was all right (I think he got a bit of his glove up in time), but that scenario has killed and seriously injured a large number of people.

Shanecooper

Aug 12, 2009
When I was a kid, we'd play games that involved running as fast as we could, into a brick wall.
And it was awesome.
But, I guess safty is more important then fun, these days.
Christ, I'm starting to sound like an old man.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
StBishop said:
We played freeze tag too, except that we called it "Stuck in the Mud" and when you were tagged you had to spead your legs, for you to become "unstuck" someone had to crawl between your legs.
Much harder, by the sounds of things.

With todays world of America, i odnt think we could do that with the word gay flying around. Especially if Fox News caught it. But yeah, basically the same thing.

The reason we never played the others is because, as far as my friends and I were concerned, Baseball didn't even exist until I started watching American movies. My school didn't own a single baseball mit, or baseballs, or softballs, or badeball bats. TeeBall was introduced in about 1999 so they bought a bunch of softballs, baseball bats and gloves, but we all thought it was lame and went back to cricket, hit the bin, french cricket, mark up, and other modified games of things Austalian's care about.
That makes sense then. You variate cricket, we variate baseball. But it sounds like they could be the same, cause the two base sports are relatively the same.