Poll: Is Microsoft out?

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
Mr.K. said:
...they are now making a general media device to compete with smart-TV boxes all
Except that they'll price it as a games console, which means they've lost the core gamers who they rely on to drive the demand, and they'll lose the TV box crowds because it'll be too expensive.
No one - and I do mean no one - will pay US$500.00 to watch TV they can already watch.

Captcha: Virtue of Necessity.

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
Mandatory installs. Mandatory Kinect. Encouraging developers to use always-on DRM. Fees for preowned games. "TV TV TV TV TV SPORTS SPORTS TV TV ALSO THERE'S A DOG."

Congratulations, Sony, you've just won the shortest console war of all time.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Zeh Don said:
Mr.K. said:
...they are now making a general media device to compete with smart-TV boxes all
Except that they'll price it as a games console, which means they've lost the core gamers who they rely on to drive the demand, and they'll lose the TV box crowds because it'll be too expensive.
No one - and I do mean no one - will pay US$500.00 to watch TV they can already watch.

This guy understands what Microsoft doesn't.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Unless they pull out of this nose dive or Sony fucks up majorly, I'm not touching that thing.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
I honestly do not understand what the big deal with backward compatibility is. I don't feel that it is a real issue. Nor do I feel that Microsoft has "shot themselves in both knees".

We really don't have any hard evidence to count them out yet. Realistically Microsoft is large enough to have a bad generation or two before they get anywhere close to failing.

People are being way to alarmist.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Zeh Don said:
Mr.K. said:

or it is a game console priced as such that is also a general media device made to complete with smart TVs. Seriously did people miss the part of the conference where they mentioned that it will play games.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Microsoft has definitely fumbled with the Xbox One.

Is that enough to actually cause them major problems and/or is it irrecoverable? No, not at all.

It's far too early to be making predictions about the success or failure of the Xbox One.

All I can really say for sure is that this latest generation of consoles has me firmly in the camp of "completely not interested", and I won't be buying one at all for years, if ever.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Xbox One piracy is going to SKYROCKET if what they said about used games is true.

This killed Xbox for me, and most likely any of my interest in console gaming.

Apostheum

Mar 30, 2011
As responsible customers, we SHOULDN'T buy the new Xbox. I'd like to see it mend its ways or fail as a result of not doing so. Despite this, I voted "let's not be hasty" because I don't think they've ruined their chances. This due to that there are so many moro- I mean, FIFA and CoD players out there who are anything but responsible customers.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
RoBi3.0 said:
or it is a game console priced as such that is also a general media device made to complete with smart TVs. Seriously did people miss the part of the conference where they mentioned that it will play games.
No, it's an "entertainment media device", as Microsoft put it. They're not selling a games console, and they're not in the games console business. They want people to buy this thing to watch TV on, and maybe play games.
Seriously, did you miss the part of the conference where they mentioned everything else other than games for nearly an hour, and then spent 10 minutes covering games that fail to show off anything remotely interesting?

Walkchalk

Nov 9, 2009
I can imagine that the lack of used games and ability to make games always online is a wet dream for some publishers. Likewise, I can't picture a single customer being happy about those either.

It seems to me like this console was developed for the publishers first, and for the consumers as more of an afterthought.

Kipiru

Mar 17, 2011
Why isn't there a "No, their product is still quite competitive!" option? So far the XBox One is looking pretty good as far as consoles go.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I want Microsoft to fail for the route that its taken. So I wanted to vote for option 1. But like it or not its too soon to call Microsoft's console a failure. So I voted for option 2.

satansmurf

Dec 25, 2009
It does give Sony an interesting option of coming in with full backwards and allowing used resales.

Kipiru

Mar 17, 2011
satansmurf said:
It does give Sony an interesting option of coming in with full backwards and allowing used resales.
And a rainbow power source for the flying pigs :)

godofslack

May 8, 2011
Gaming is far to popular to refer to gamers as a market, as in reality it's several markets, four are easily defined and with very little overlap. They are The Hobbyist, The Arm Waver, The Inattentive, and The Beer and Bullets Bro.

I voted, yes because it is totally out for The Hobbyist, and that's the gamer that spends time on places like The Escapist and actually has an opinion on any of the anti-consumer practices. The Bullets Bro is going to buy the new Xbox anyways because they like everything shown to them, they don't care about consumer unfriendly practices, I mean the buy sports games, buy all the DLC for CoD (they probably got the season pass), and they pay for Xbox live. The Arm Waver is going to love this new console because Microsoft will really push the Kinect with those 15 exclusives and they'll have a system that actually involves their arm waving distractions (and they might understand that it's a new console this time instead of with the Wii U). Plus they'll be able to watch their Maury and NFL. But, that leaves the Wild Card the Inattentive, aka the much feared mobile gamer, I doubt they will end up involved with this generation but I totally could be wrong, but similar to the Bro and Waver they either are ignorant to or don't care about consumer unfriendly practices (case in point the popular free games on the App Store).

TL;DR they have ruined their chances for us, The Hobbyists, but to state that it's an financial failure is projection, not fact.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
capper42 said:
It's not like my 360 is going to disintegrate as soon as I buy a new console.
Ok, I admit, I laughed when I read that. You do realize you made that statement about a console with the highest failure rate of any game console ever made, right?

Mr. Happy Face

May 8, 2013
Nope. This isn't Microsoft's console generation. Not by a long shot.

Combine the most annoying, consumer-unfriendly practices in gaming today. Add a lack of backward compatibility, services that can be provided with other media devices (often more cheaply to boot), and a big FU to pre-owned buyers like myself with ancillary fees, and you have a console I'd rather set myself on fire than buy. And I cook for a living. I know what it feels like to burn. Still rather set myself on fire.

But...

I still think there will be people who will buy it. Maybe it's for a console exclusive. Maybe it's to keep playing with friends who already own the console. Maybe it's because they are die-hard Xbox fans. Or maybe it's because the purchaser doesn't understand what they are buying. There will be people who will buy it. Count on it.

Double but... (lol :p)

It's very likely that it won't be as many people as Microsoft wants to buy it. And given how very annoying some of the features are, it could end up being fewer people than Microsoft needs to buy it. Remember, there is no guarantee that a console will succeed, and Microsoft is taking BIG risks here. These risks could end up blowing up in their faces.

Only time will tell, but I think that Microsoft has pretty much guaranteed it's not winning this console generation, and it could end up losing big. How big? Again, only time will tell.

SilverLion

May 11, 2013
What I hate about this coming generation of consoles is that they're stretching themselves too thin. Can you honestly name all the functions and features of the PS4 and Xbox Durango (I am not calling it an Xbox One, we already have a damn Xbox 1) off the top of your head? No, didn't think so. And at E3, they'll probably announce MORE functions (it's a microwave oven! It can intercept foreign radio and satellite communications ((for the M.I.C!!)) and it can transform into a tablet!) What I've learned- what WE'VE learned, as a collective species over 2 million years, is that if you try to cram as much as you can into a device, you won't be able to fine-tune everything, and you'll end up with a Swiss army knife that is made entirely of scissors: Sure it can do plenty of things, but none of them well. As well as that, it will also make the console devilishly difficult to manage as a consumer. I mean, HOW will I find out how to connect and set up everything the Durango has to offer?
Fuck it, I'm getting a WiiU. At least that plays fucking GAMES!!!