Poll: Is Not Dating a Certain Race Racist?

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
I was on a feminist website recently and came across a post that blasted some white guy's website devoted to finding him the perfect girl. They took issue with his high standards on appearrance and education, which really doesn't seem like something big enough to warrant public shaming by a large website such as this one, but I could understand their distaste, if not their blazing ire. One thing they said, however, really got under my skin: he said he would date any race but "Black girls." And they called him a racist for that.

Now, he allegedly has said elsewhere on his site or on Reddit things that paint him to be a dyed-in-the-wool racist, but the mere proclamation of this preference was enough to get him the label on this site (I'm not linking to it because it's not really the point of the discussion I want to start here). So my question is: Does not wanting to date people from a certain race or races make you racist?

I think not. No one would come after you with pitchforks and torches if you said you didn't date blonde girls, and, while it won't win you more friends than it'll lose, you can also say things like, "She has to have a college degree," or, "She has to have a job," without drawing too much venom. So why shouldn't a person have a particular preference for skin color? And not only that, but most everyone (especially, one would think, a self-identified feminist) would agree that the different races of the country have different cultures. Obviously, you can find someone who, let's say, loves country music or likes anime among any race, but perhaps you simply aren't attracted to certain racial aspects, or maybe just don't want to deal with any potential headaches others will give you for dating outside your race?

In the end, I think it's stupid to call someone a racist if he or she doesn't have anything bad to say about a race, just finds other races more physically attractive. Maybe it's an area of growth, maybe not. Maybe it's as innocuous as a male wanting to only pursue romance with females. What do you think?

I hope I've communicated my thoughts in such a way that no one picks up a racist vibe from these words themselves. It's not my intention to denigrate any race with this question.

EDIT: Well, the poll is being annoying and won't work right, but you should be able to make out the "yes" and "no" categories.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ehhhhhumm...

I suppose it would depend on why you don't want to date people of X race.

(Using "you" in the general sense here, not addressing the OP specifically.)

If you simply don't find them attractive then, well, you're probably still going to raise eyebrows if you shout that fact to the heavens, but fair cop I guess. It's not like one can choose who they're attracted to. (Well, I can't. Dunno 'bout the rest of you.)

On the other hand, if you refuse date people of a certain race for no other reason than they are of that race, then yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the very definition of racism. Fairly harmless, granted, and it's obviously your choice who you go out with, but that would suggest you certainly have some issues.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
As long as you don't say things like "I find all Asian women disgusting" then no. I mean, how is it any different from preferring one ethnicity over another? My good friend really likes Asian women. Their overall appearance is just more appealing to him, and he himself is not an Asian. So, is he racist then?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
mrblakemiller said:
So my question is: Does not wanting to date people from a certain race or races make you racist?
Judgement based on race alone = racism.
The dude can date whoever he wants to though.
So mystery solved.

EDIT: You should add a poll option with "Yes, it's racist" and "You still have the right to date whoever you like".

IllumInaTIma said:
As long as you don't say things like "I find all Asian women disgusting" then no. I mean, how is it any different from preferring one ethnicity over another? My good friend really likes Asian women. Their overall appearance is just more appealing to him, and he himself is not an Asian. So, is he racist then?
Judgement (good, bad, whatever) based on race alone = racism.
Because dictionary.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
No. It's not racist. Unless preference in the looks of your mate is somehow discriminatory now. Hasn't been for thousands of years at least.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Well, yes it is.

But as long as you don't reject someone who's otherwise attractive entirely because of their race, it's a pretty harmless racism.

I personally don't want to cut my dating pool, so I'd never be that picky. :p

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Well, it depends. It might be 'racist' in the technical sense but how racism is used nowadays then it may or may not be. Racism colloquially seems to always imply some kind of hatred towards an ethnicity, which is different then preferences. I prefer dating the same ethnicity to me, but that could be just biology or more so that I know many more people of my race then others due to my location being not particularly diverse.

But usually I find it best to focus on individuals as opposed to groups, if there was a girl who I found very attractive and shared many personality traits to me I would considering asking them out.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Shadowstar38 said:
No. It's not racist. Unless preference in the looks of your mate is somehow discriminatory now. Hasn't been for thousands of years at least.
Yes it IS. Choosing or not choosing SOLELY because of RACE is the very definition of RACISM.
It's just that maybe it doesn't matter that much. He can date whoever he wants. Primitive way to go about it, but hey, it's his private life.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
I guess, yeah, to a degree. I find myself not sexually attracted to black women, so I suppose that is in itself a kind of racism. But it's not really the kind to get up in arms about. Physical attraction is subjective to each individual, and as long as it is not hate-influenced, I don't see any reason for it to be considered negative.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Yes it IS. Choosing or not choosing SOLELY because of RACE is the very definition of RACISM.
It's just that maybe it doesn't matter that much. He can date whoever he wants. Primitive way to go about it, but hey, it's his private life.
It's not a choice made based on race. That race just happens to have physical features he(hypothetical dude) finds displeasing.

And it's not really primitive. It's how pretty much everyone picks who they date.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well, yes, though in of itself it's not necessarily a big deal.

Of course, this can't be said for many of the reasons why someone would feel this way.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Shadowstar38 said:
It's not a choice made based on race. That race just happens to have physical features he(hypothetical dude) finds displeasing.
I'm going to leave this quote here, so you can read it as many times as you like, until you find the logical phallacy hidden in it.
Hint: it's between "it's not a choice based on race" and "that race has displeasing physical features".

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shadowstar38 said:
I'm going to leave this quote here, so you can read it as many times as you like, until you find the logical phallacy hidden in it.
Hint: it's between "it's not a choice based on race" and "that race has displeasing physical features".
If you remove a conditional, the context of words tend to change.

"Happen to have" As in, race was not considered.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Shadowstar38 said:
Yeah...no. You can't not consider race when saying that one race is unattractive.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Shadowstar38 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shadowstar38 said:

Dude, you said it's not a "race thing", but it's a "physical feature associated with race thing", which makes it a race thing.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Yeah...no. You can't not consider race when saying that one race is unattractive.
"I don't like black hair"

*All black people become included in this catagory*

Suck on it.

Side note: the picture I picked however, may be unintentionally racist given the subject matter.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Shadowstar38 said:

Dude, you said it's not a "race thing", but it's a "physical feature associated with race thing", which makes it a race thing.
Not if said physical feature exists independent of said race.