Poll: Is PC gaming worth the discomfort?

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
By "discomfort" I thought you were referring to installing and CD keys and crap, cause all those extra steps really take the job out of buy a new game

jultub

Jan 18, 2010
Sure, I can't really lie down when I play pc, but I don't really do that when I play on the console either. Whenever anything happens I need to sit up in a rather alert and focused pose to be able to play at all. At the console this means leaning forward, elbows to my knees. At the PC this means already having my chair adjusted so that I can sit up in a pretty straight position without getting all the pressure on my back. So basically I'm playing consoles in short bursts while I can sit for hours on end at my comp.

This question is completely invalid in my case :p

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
Treblaine said:
x434343 said:
I say, no problems.

I'm actually kind of pissed at Alan Wake developers. I really WANT to play that game. I refuse to, though, because the developers refuse to port it because it "breaks the mood of the game". That just sounds like they don't want to port it.
And bullshit like "Xbox Achievement Unlocked" somehow doesn't ruin the mood of the game?

I'm fed up of Microsoft's pathetic excuses for going back on their promise of supporting PC.
It gets better. The developers claim its a couch game. Here's my damn question: WHY?

I mean, is it horror elements? Because Metro 2033 has plenty of those, and I'm on the edge of my seat, meaning you'd be on the edge of your couch. Is it the mystery elements? Well, all I have to say is most mystery games that I recall in recent years are on the Nintendo DS. Meaning they can be played anywhere.

So, basically, they're too afeard to say, "We don't want to spend money and time porting it", instead blaming that it would "ruin" the "atmosphere".

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
I dunno, man, I love my chair. I'd use it for console gaming too if I actually owned a console...

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Not too bad, I just lean back and stick my feet on the desk if needs be, but I have good posture (mainly due to parental threats of violence should I ever slouch), and a comfy chair.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
... I don't find any discomfort from sitting too long on my ass.
This whole thread is moot on the fact the not everyone feel uncomfortable after sitting for x amount of time.

ham and red bull

Dec 2, 2010
SevenForce said:
Don't forget you can buy xbox 360 controllers for computers, so that really shouldn't be a problem.

Though microsoft like to be awkward so an xbox 360 controller meant for xbox 360s won't work on a computer and vice versa, even though they both use USB sockets.
Hmm.... I use my xbox 360 wired controller on my pc, no problems at all! So... MYTH BUSTED!

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
x434343 said:
Treblaine said:
x434343 said:
I say, no problems.

I'm actually kind of pissed at Alan Wake developers. I really WANT to play that game. I refuse to, though, because the developers refuse to port it because it "breaks the mood of the game". That just sounds like they don't want to port it.
And bullshit like "Xbox Achievement Unlocked" somehow doesn't ruin the mood of the game?

I'm fed up of Microsoft's pathetic excuses for going back on their promise of supporting PC.
It gets better. The developers claim its a couch game. Here's my damn question: WHY?

I mean, is it horror elements? Because Metro 2033 has plenty of those, and I'm on the edge of my seat, meaning you'd be on the edge of your couch. Is it the mystery elements? Well, all I have to say is most mystery games that I recall in recent years are on the Nintendo DS. Meaning they can be played anywhere.

So, basically, they're too afeard to say, "We don't want to spend money and time porting it", instead blaming that it would "ruin" the "atmosphere".
Yeah, saying something like "this genres a couch game" is a big "Fuck You" to the Developers of;
-Amnesia: Dark Descent
-Penumbra series
-Cryostasis
-System Shock 2
-STALKER games
-The Void
...and so many other Suspense/Horror games that are only on PC. And so a big "Fuck You" to the fans of those genres on PC, this seems almost a calculated move on Microsoft's part to deny a PC version knowing full well how popular its genre is on PC, they just want to lure them into 360's walled garden.

And worst than that, last thing I heard from the developers is they had ALREADY MADE a PC version, the file exists but Microsoft won't permit its release. Remember this was a game that was announced first for PC and co-developed on PC. The developers aren't doing anything else.

One reason I think is that Microsoft are control freaks, they only want to release a game they can easily exploit in the future but PC gaming is dominated by Steam. They seem to be just too proud to ever work with them, instead they foist more cak-handed DRM with their bullshit Games for Windows live service that stupidly tries to act like "Xbox for your PC".

Their idea of PC is a 100% cut and 100% control, well sorry MS, you dropped the ball on that, you're going to have to go through Steam. It's you're own fault.

YepGeddon

Apr 16, 2009
I usually sit up when I play console games anyway. As unfortunately my eyesight isn't incredibly great so I have to be fairly close to the television. Even so I do much prefer to be sat comfort wise than I do laying down. Laying down just creates crick neck and all sorts of uncomfortable shit when doing certain tasks, I.e reading or just generally watching tv, so sitting kinda removes the discomfort.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
I can't play well when i lay down. However when i play with a mouse and keyboard i get pins and needles in two fingers. So for me it's worth it. Besides my chair isn't great, but after a while it doesn't seem bad at all.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Twuk said:
Let's face it, PC gaming is uncomfortable.
Er, no, I've never felt discomfort using a PC, unless it's for a serious long time. Perhaps you should see a doctor about this?

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
you can make pc gaming as comfortable as you want it, it just depends on your setup tbh. you can also use controllers for alot of games on pc so i don't really see the problem.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I sit on a quite small drum throne while I play, I sit with good posture all the time... I can't play console if I cant sit down on a chair with good posture.
I think this is just to which you are used to.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
...Sweet Jesus and I thought the stupidest thing I'd hear/read today was on BBC News. It would seem I was wrong.

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
Gaming on a console gives me a headache.

On a PC the screens right in front of me, reducing eye strain.

Not to mention I have headphones, so I don't have to worry about anybody complaining about noise.

So comfort-wise PC > Console

Not trying to sound fanboyish, but OP seems to have a lack of understaning when it comes to the nature of opinions

Sallix

Apr 9, 2008
I choose other: My pc chair is comfy as hell, but if I want more comfort I have a cushiony armchair right behind it.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
My PC Experience is the same as my console. I use an Xbox controller, SPDIF 5.1 surround, and the same 32" flat screen for both gaming experiences. If anything the PC is better.