Poll: Is Piracy Really That Bad?

Grant Hobba

Aug 30, 2010
Bruenin said:
Grant Hobba said:
Bruenin said:
I really don't care about the whole piracy thing. Doesn't really bother me.
will it bother you when there are no more games, music or movies ? :p
Well if it ever got that far I'll take a stand against it, send me a message when the apocalypse starts up. =P... i like my emote better

well it's at the point where "musicians" don't make much money any more I'd say its getting closer and closer :)

Bruenin

Nov 9, 2011
Grant Hobba said:
Bruenin said:
Grant Hobba said:
Bruenin said:
Well if it ever got that far I'll take a stand against it, send me a message when the apocalypse starts up. =P... i like my emote better

well it's at the point where "musicians" don't make much money any more I'd say its getting closer and closer :)
The armoury is open, whats your specialization? Want some skyforge steel or some dwarven blades?

johnd03

Nov 20, 2010
I still think that if people are to pirate, then they are only further reducing the possible motivation for the game devs to produce more of the content that they enjoy. therefore

-1 to the piraters

La Barata

Apr 13, 2010
This thread is fundamentally flawed because anyone who actually admits to pirating something gets in trouble (See several delivered warnings so far).

OT: Pirating CAN be a good thing, as some people have said, if you're unable to get a game through any other means, what's the harm?

Grant Hobba

Aug 30, 2010
Bruenin said:
Grant Hobba said:
Bruenin said:
Grant Hobba said:
Bruenin said:

The armoury is open, whats your specialization? Want some skyforge steel or some dwarven blades?
hmmm are wet fish an option? xD

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Debates about piracy invariably avoid the big picture.

The world economy and ecology are in permanent decline, and global austerity continues to diminish the global middle class. Furthermore, the powers that be desire a depoliticized populace.

So what we have is a population becoming increasingly poor, and a system which encourages them to stay home and entertain themselves. This is an obvious recipe for vast amounts of media piracy.

The best ways to get rid of piracy is to reduce the wealth disparity between people, and combine that with supporting democracy so people have something to do besides consuming media, which they can't afford to pay for so they pirate.

The common anti-piracy creed of "do the right thing and buy the game" is simply nonsense by way of ignoring the real-world reality.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Piracy as a demo? If you actually using it as a demo, as in you only play the first level or 2 and then either buy or delete it I still don't like it but fine. Tho you don?t need to do that, just research it, watch some gamplay videos, read some reviews and use your brain. Problem is people just use that as an excuse and play the whole thing and then don?t pay for it anyway.
I wouldn?t have bought it anyway/ the games not worth that much/ I can?t afford it/ I don?t agree with something the company is doing(like DRM) are BS excuses. If for whatever reason you don?t want to spend money on it then don?t fucking play it. Same gose if you don't want to stick to the terms of playing the game. Games are a luxury item. You?re not going to die if you don?t play Skyrim or the latest COD. You are not entitled to it, why should you get to play the fruits of some else's labor, time and money without giving them anything for it? Stop trying to justify the fact that you?re a thief.

Crazy

Oct 4, 2011
Sovereignty said:
For:
1) Allows a larger group of people to play the game, thus offering them a true sampling of what the developer is offering. (Especially for games without demos)
2) A person who resorts to stealing the game wasn't like to purchase it anyway. Unfair to the people who bought it yes, but not truly taking revenue away from the maker.
3) No DRM
4) Ability to acquire a game in a region you'd otherwise be unable to get said game from.
5) Capability to download your game in another location without need to physically carry game with you.
1) Assuming they won't get it if piracy wasn't an option.
2) That depends on the person, and not always true.
3) Not in my jurisdiction.
4) That could be a valid reason.
5) Someone's carrying something anyway, but really that's just being lazy.

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
....yes
pirating is that bad
at least to me

the developer made the game for YOU, but it's not like you need it, its not like the price you have to pay for a game is depriving you of anything nessesary or violating your rights. its THEIR property, and pirating is outright theft.

if a game is bad, dont get it at all. but if a game is good support the people who made it so they can make more like and even make it better.

and if you pirate and then buy the whole game, then good for you i see that basically as borrowing something then paying for it, but if you pirate and then dont get the full game, they you are cheating the people who made it

DoubleTime

Apr 23, 2010
The Cheshire said:
Juor said:
Oh God, this video is so over-the-top sentimentalist bullshit it makes me want never to buy anything legally. Ever. Again. And I'll have lots of children and I will teach them how to download illegal films just because this video insulted my intelligence.
Sorry to hear you're so easily offended.

Still, being offended isn't an excuse to steal. It's like saying "He called my mom a whore, so I shot him because I was offended." People who say they steal to "get back" at someone/something/a corporation/etc. are just being petty.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Arontala said:
C95J said:
Arontala said:
SonicKoala said:
Arontala said:
There ARE people who do it because they would never be able to afford gaming in the first place
I fail to see how this justifies stealing the game.
Piracy =/= Stealing

People such as that do not equal lost sales. It could even be argued that they help a game, I.E publicity, word of mouth, and the fact that if they were to secure a stable income, there would be a chance that they would actually purchase games.

Well, if publishers stop with these idiotic anti-pirating measures, and instead try focusing on giving pirates better incentives to buy new, that is.
So basically what you are saying is, if I can't afford something, you should be entitled to steal it. Right?
.... What? No. I did not say that. Piracy and theft are not the same thing. With theft, something physical is taken away. With piracy, it is merely copied. On an individual basis, it is in the morally grey area. You aren't necessarily hurting anyone/anything, but it's still against the law.

I never said that you should do this, or that you're entitled to do this. I merely said that it is not so black and white.
If anything Piracy is a sub-category or tangent of Theft. Whether they're one and the same is just an age old semantics arguement.

Even just copying the data of a game is depriving the developers of a sale. I'd say the only difference in piracy and theft is who the victim is. Theft, you're victimizing the person you take it from. However the developer has already been paid for that particular copy, so they're not victimized.

piracy, you're creating a copy that the developer wasn't compensated for. The person who holds the original data doesn't care, he still has it. But that means X amount of people are playing the game, when the developer only got compensation from 1 of those people.

The only difference is who loses money on the whole ordeal, but the end result is the same: You have something that costs money that you didn't pay for.

Killermud

Oct 6, 2010
Reading some of the replies makes me rage. Some people saying that piracy is pure evil and that pirating is stealing.

For those of you who say this, please look up the definition of stealing. Pirating is not stealing, its copying. Stealing suggests that you take something away from someone without permission. This is not the case in pirating as when you pirate a game or album, you are not taking anything away from the developer/publisher, you are just cloning the product.

Anyway rant over, I don't actually condone piracy as you are still getting something for nothing, unless you buy it afterwards which a lot of people do. I see piracy as another step in the industry and we should just live with it, as there is no solution to it. The more we fight it, the worse it will get.

thePyro_13

Sep 6, 2008
You waste more money trying to fight them than you would have lost in sales anyway(since most pirates would't have paid if they couldn't download).

sta697

Mar 31, 2011
as i see it's really simple you SHOULD buy games that you support the develepors,other games i don't even bother.So understand that pirating is bad because you dont support the game (you like) and thus you will not get as much similar games in the future.it's not a matter of legal illegal its a matter of responsible consumerism

Garethp

Jun 14, 2011
Frankly it all comes down to one thing

The developers spent both time and money to make a product. When a person spends time and money making a product, they deserve a reward for their work. What makes you think you deserve the game without paying? Do you have some kind of special privilege that means it's okay for you to just take, use, enjoy other peoples hard work for free? Even if you don't see it as theft, it's still wrong, and anybody should be able to see that. You're basically saying that despite the fact that they worked hard to produce it, put hundreds of hours of time and sweat into it that they don't own their work, and people should just be allowed to use it free without permission

This coming from a pirate, mind you. I know it's wrong, and I still do it. To me, it's important that even if we don't stop, we acknowledge the immorality and unfairness behind pirating. If we do only one thing about this whole mess, let it at least be that we keep our morals

jthwilliams

Sep 10, 2009
Nuke_em_05 said:
There are a lot of items that you cannot "try before you buy" with no guarantees or return policies. Life is full of disappointment.
I ask you to name six items or industries that are not software where
1) You cannot try out the product before you agree to pay for it
2) You cannot return the item if after a reasonable period, you are not satisfied
3) You cannot get your money back, in store credit, or some type of compensation if you were disastisfied.
4) The industry is not heavily regulated to protect consumers from fraud, misleading information, and abuse.
5) The service or item is legal.

All I can think of is sporting events. Even there if you compained that you were sat behind a poll and couldn't see the game, you could probably get free tickets to the next game or simular compensation.

Face it, software and gamming in particular is about the only legal industry that gets away with behavior of this type.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
There a pros and cons for almost every situation in life, piracy is no different. Piracy is the excuse for all these nasty fucking things like DRM, Day 1 DLC, etc, but in reality that is all it really is, an excuse. Publishers have been trying different forms of 'DRM' for years, it predates CD keys, and DRM. The music industry tried to outlaw cassette tapes, the movie industry complained about VHS/Betamax, and of course the game industry just complains.

A publishing company is out for one thing and one thing only, your money. They want it, that is what their job is. To get money. Anything they can do to maximize profits is in their game plan.

Don't get me wrong I don't condone piracy at all, it does a lot more harm than good, but DRM and other get rich schemes aren't caused by piracy, piracy is just blamed for it.

With that aside, why do you think piracy has become such a problem?

For the majority of people who pirate, would you walk into a store and steal the game off the shelf? Probably not. Downloading pirated content removed the physical aspect of what you are doing. Of course a pirated copy of the game doesn't always equal a lost sale, it never has, they just wanted you to believe that.

Say a game released sells 1 million copies, and has 2 million copies pirated, the investors would like at a 66 percent loss margin, but that isn't the case at all. Some pirates do purchase the game if they enjoy what they have played, other don't. The MOST harmful kind of piracy is the kind where people download games they wanted, but never intended to purchase. These are the people that complain when series of games get cancelled, or movies don't get sequels, but they fail to understand the fundamental cause of their actions. You can't expect everyone else to purchase the product to encourage the developers to make more content. Because they won't. You are not the only person downloading this content, millions of other people do it too, and at the end of the day it is the investors and publishers that have a say on what gets made from most of these companies. If they see that GAME A or MOVIE A flopped and didn't turn out great profits, they won't have more made. They could care less about how many copies of the product got pirated(in this context) because that doesn't relate to money in their accounts, only money they don't have. They couldn't give a single fuck about the metacritic score of the product because it doesn't relate to the money they have.

If you ever purchase a product, purchase for the reason that you enjoy the series or whatever and you want more to be made. And if you don't enjoy the series than why are you downloading it.

As for the demo defense, developers do need to start releasing more demos of their games. Especially the ones that do cost 30+ dollars. With the advent of digital distribution it would be easier to have full game demos(see Steam's free weekends) where people could try out the product for a couple days, and if they like it they buy and if they don't they don't. And if a player can finish your game in small amount of time(see 90 percent of most games), than limit it to an amount of playtime you know a player won't be able to finish the product.

jthwilliams said:
n particular is about the only legal industry that gets away with behavior of this type.
It really is, and that is also becoming a large problem. If a developer makes a buggy game the expect the players to deal with it. If a say an automaker produces an shitty car they are expected to fix the major problems.

If the publisher produces a shitty game, the player is expected to deal with it. If you go to a shitty movie at the theater and complain, 90 percent of the time you get free tickets to another show.

Far too long have gamers taken this kind of treatment, and it is starting to backfire.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
In the galactic scale of things?
No.

In fact, we should concern ourselfs with more important things.

Oil Usage.
Global Warming.
AIDS.
Smoking.
Drinking.
Crack and meth.
Crime.
War.
Rape.
Murder.
Hurricane/Earthquake detection.
Space Radiation.
Our own Sea.
Pollution.
Population control.

Does downloading a game really seem that "bad" when you think about all the real problems with our world? Sure, its not exactly a "morally good thing". And it might even be wrong. But we have bigger problems to worry about before we start chasing "Pirates".

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Angry_squirrel said:
If you don't get said enjoyment because the game wasn't what the developers claimed, or because it doesn't run on your system, then you've been cheated out of your money.
No, if you don't get said enjoyment because the game doesn't run on your system, you're an idiot who should have paid attention to the system requirements. The developers haven't cheated you out of anything in that situation: your own personal stupidity did. If people can't handle checking system requirements against their own computer, the solution is to buy a console. Not to illegally obtain the game.

aaron552 said:
"Pirating" a game to get around DRM (where you have already bought a copy of the game) is morally defensible, IMO. Most people don't have the skills to disassemble the game executable and to figure out how to bypass DRM. You still have to download a "cracked" executable (this is piracy) and it is still illegal to bypass any DRM.
No, it's not morally defensible. If you buy the game and then pirate it to avoid DRM, you're still part of the problem. You're still adding to that counter that displays how many times the file(s) have been downloaded, and the publishers see that and say "Well shit, that DRM didn't work. We need something stronger for our next game." and then the next game has even worse DRM than the one you pirated. Even if you buy the game, you're still just as bad as everyone else if you pirate a copy because you're making the DRM problem worse, not better. Don't like the DRM? Don't buy the game, don't pirate the game, and don't play the game.