Poll: Is there hope for the DCEU?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Bob_McMillan said:
As long as Snyder and Goyer (especially Goyer) GTFO, than the DCEU has a chance. Well, at least Wonder Woman, Batman, and maybe the Flash have a chance. Green Lantern too, if he ever gets in on the action.

But Cyborg and Aquaman (man, was his intro in BvS... aquard) are fucked.
I thought nothing was wrong with Aquaman's intro and I swear to you I am not saying that as a DC fanboy.

And how is Cyborg fucked?

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
The Enquirer said:
Antonio Torrente said:
The Enquirer said:
Antonio Torrente said:
The Enquirer said:
Antonio Torrente said:
Hey at least they made money because that's the most important thing in making these kind of movies, right? right? right?
Well let's do some math here.
Deadpool earned over a 1000% return on a 58 million dollar investment, coming out with 619 million.
Man of Steel had a 225 million dollar budget and made a little under 300% return with 668 million.
The Avengers had a budget of just about 220 million and came back making slightly under 700% return with 1.52 billion.

There's some conflicted reports about how much BvS cost to make, 250 or 400 million, so working with the lowest number, 250 million, it would need to make just under 750 million to be as successful as Man of Steel. Give that there's reports of it already coming in having made 420 million, that certainly seems plausible.

For the bit on my opinion, I believe that WB is going to try and continue to muscle through with the franchise because, let's face it, people are still going to go and see it regardless. So I have hope that it will continue, but very little that it will actually be worthwhile.

How do you fuck up Doomsday so bad?
The question now is, how much the drop will be for the second week? Because some people will see again and some will be disappointed and won't see it again.
I know this is completely situational but when I went to see it the theater wasn't even packed full, and it was an AMC theater. When I went to see The Avengers years ago me and my girlfriend couldn't actually find seats together, also an AMC theater. It was the same filled up seats during Captain America: TWS more recently. So that's actually a very good point you bring up.
Really? I thought no matter how god awful this movie will be, at least the first week the theaters will be full to the brim with people (who waited literally decades) if not more so than the Avengers to see it. So that's really surprising for me.
Yea, we saw it the 26th. There were quite a few seats open around us. Granted it's a big theater but it was actually the exact same showroom I've seen Star Wars, Captain America 2, Thor 2, Avengers 2 and a number of other movies in that were either more filled or entirely filled. All of which I saw on opening night or weekend.
Hmmm, wonder what happened? Do you think the people in that area somehow felt that this movie will be awful?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Samtemdo8 said:
Bob_McMillan said:
As long as Snyder and Goyer (especially Goyer) GTFO, than the DCEU has a chance. Well, at least Wonder Woman, Batman, and maybe the Flash have a chance. Green Lantern too, if he ever gets in on the action.

I thought nothing was wrong with Aquaman's intro and I swear to you I am not saying that as a DC fanboy.

He was obviously holding his breath, he was moving as if affected by the pressure and the water, and I actually laughed out loud in a quiet theater when he moved his head back and his hair completely obscured his face. That was the laziest cameo of all of them.

And Cyborg is fucked mainly because he has been in the Justice League a whole 4 years (insert "Wow!" meme here) and he is even less iconic and recognizable than Aquaman.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Bob_McMillan said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Bob_McMillan said:

And Cyborg is fucked mainly because he has been in the Justice League a whole 4 years (insert "Wow!" meme here) and he is even less iconic and recognizable than Aquaman.
Neither is Hawkgirl. And the reason why Cyborg is there is because he's in the New 52 Justice League.

Personally my dream Justice League is this:

Superman, Batman and Robin, Wonder Woman, John Stewert Green Lanter, the Flash, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Cyborg, Catwoman, Zatanna, and Hawkgirl.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Antonio Torrente said:
The Enquirer said:
Antonio Torrente said:
The Enquirer said:
Antonio Torrente said:
The Enquirer said:
Antonio Torrente said:
Hey at least they made money because that's the most important thing in making these kind of movies, right? right? right?
Well let's do some math here.
Deadpool earned over a 1000% return on a 58 million dollar investment, coming out with 619 million.
Man of Steel had a 225 million dollar budget and made a little under 300% return with 668 million.
The Avengers had a budget of just about 220 million and came back making slightly under 700% return with 1.52 billion.

There's some conflicted reports about how much BvS cost to make, 250 or 400 million, so working with the lowest number, 250 million, it would need to make just under 750 million to be as successful as Man of Steel. Give that there's reports of it already coming in having made 420 million, that certainly seems plausible.

For the bit on my opinion, I believe that WB is going to try and continue to muscle through with the franchise because, let's face it, people are still going to go and see it regardless. So I have hope that it will continue, but very little that it will actually be worthwhile.

How do you fuck up Doomsday so bad?
The question now is, how much the drop will be for the second week? Because some people will see again and some will be disappointed and won't see it again.
I know this is completely situational but when I went to see it the theater wasn't even packed full, and it was an AMC theater. When I went to see The Avengers years ago me and my girlfriend couldn't actually find seats together, also an AMC theater. It was the same filled up seats during Captain America: TWS more recently. So that's actually a very good point you bring up.
Really? I thought no matter how god awful this movie will be, at least the first week the theaters will be full to the brim with people (who waited literally decades) if not more so than the Avengers to see it. So that's really surprising for me.
Yea, we saw it the 26th. There were quite a few seats open around us. Granted it's a big theater but it was actually the exact same showroom I've seen Star Wars, Captain America 2, Thor 2, Avengers 2 and a number of other movies in that were either more filled or entirely filled. All of which I saw on opening night or weekend.
Hmmm, wonder what happened? Do you think the people in that area somehow felt that this movie will be awful?
The Sad Affleck video going viral and calling attention to the already prominently negative reviews certainly didn't help with movie attendance across the board.

If you saw it or know anyone who did how packed was the theater and how large was the theater?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Samtemdo8 said:
Neither is Hawkgirl. And the reason why Cyborg is there is because he's in the New 52 Justice League.
What does Hawkgirl have to do with the DCCU?

And that's what I meant when I said 4 years, New 52 was back in 2011 (So I guess 5 years, but 2016 is still new I guess). Which was a very unpopular move and is something that still feels wrong today. Cyborg will always be a Teen Titan to me and pretty much all his fans.

Samtemdo8 said:
Personally my dream Justice League is this:

Superman, Batman and Robin, Wonder Woman, John Stewert Green Lanter, the Flash, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Cyborg, Catwoman, Zatanna, and Hawkgirl.
Wow, that's a pretty packed team.

I agree with most of it, bar Cyborg, Catwoman, and Zatanna. I already said why I don't like Cyborg, I doubt that Catwoman would join a main team of the JL, and I think that Hawkgirl has the magic stuff covered in the team.

Also, why Robin?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The only thing I can add is that after the first Thor, the terrible first Captain America movie and Iron Man 2, I didn't think the Avengers movie would get up. DCEU could make a comeback just like that

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
BvS seems to be at best merely OK. If it wasn't for Superman and Batman's names this movie would have tanked badly.

Now these names have power (heh) but how much name power Cyborg has? Or even Aquaman or Wonder Woman? These movies can't rely on people going to see them based on brand recognition alone. They will have to be good.

Can they be this good? Maybe. Not much hope on that though.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
trunkage said:
The only thing I can add is that after the first Thor, the terrible first Captain America movie and Iron Man 2, I didn't think the Avengers movie would get up. DCEU could make a comeback just like that
Weelll, they weren't quite BvS level of terrible.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
trunkage said:
Honestly, I was impressed that a Thor movie did almost half a million dollars. Like, seriously, it was impressive that a B-list hero could do almost as well as Superman, one of the most recognisable superheroes in American culture. Iron Man 2, also starring a B-lister, was roughly on par with Man of Steel. And all three movies were significantly better received by critics.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
He was obviously holding his breath, he was moving as if affected by the pressure and the water, and I actually laughed out loud in a quiet theater when he moved his head back and his hair completely obscured his face. That was the laziest cameo of all of them.

Don't know if I can necessarily hold that against Aquaman, since there's always going to be limitations filming underwater, though there is probably some subtle CG stuff that could help with that. It's definitely a concern for any movie he has a more extensive role in.
As for whether the characters are iconic and recognizable, the DC filmmakers don't seem to care about staying true to the characters, so I'm really not sure how much that will matter. Could it hurt the amount of people interested in going to see it, however I've got to point out that Marvel pretty much built an empire based on second string characters that the general public didn't know much about.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Czann said:
BvS seems to be at best merely OK. If it wasn't for Superman and Batman's names this movie would have tanked badly.

Now these names have power (heh) but how much name power Cyborg has? Or even Aquaman or Wonder Woman? These movies can't rely on people going to see them based on brand recognition alone. They will have to be good.

Wonder Woman is consistently listed among the top "most famous" superheroes. You really don't think she has name recognition?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
mduncan50 said:
As for whether the characters are iconic and recognizable, the DC filmmakers don't seem to care about staying true to the characters, so I'm really not sure how much that will matter. Could it hurt the amount of people interested in going to see it, however I've got to point out that Marvel pretty much built an empire based on second string characters that the general public didn't know much about.
True, but IMO the only reason any non-fan watched the next Marvel movies after Iron Man was because of Iron Man. People really just loved that movie.

After MoS and even BvS, two very divisive and kind of critically panned movies, would those same non-fans really care about characters that are not all that too interesting if you only take in their first impressions? "King of Atlantis who talks to fish" or "cyborg named Cyborg". Maybe the completionist in people will compel them to watch all the DCCU movies, that's literally the only reason I bothered with Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor.

I dunno. But what I am sure of is that these two movies will be nowhere near as financially successful as the other solo films.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Something Amyss said:
Czann said:

There was this survey on a film site where they found out that BvS's biggest draw was Wonder Woman, not Bats or Supes. Don't quote me on that though, at least until I can find that article.

Wonder Woman is consistently listed among the top "most famous" superheroes. You really don't think she has name recognition?

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Something Amyss said:
Czann said:

Well, I was in doubt about putting WW together with the likes of Aquaman and Cyborg (I like them but I know they aren't crowd pleasers) but while Wonder Woman is one of the big three she isn't Batman or Superman.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Czann said:
Something Amyss said:
Czann said:

Well, I was in doubt about putting WW together with the likes of Aquaman and Cyborg (I like them but I know they aren't crowd pleasers) but while Wonder Woman is one of the big three she isn't Batman or Superman.
Yeah, I could see her numbers taking a hit because the dudebros are threatened by another strong female action hero, but I think that would probably be cancelled out by women going to see it who may not necessarily be interested in most comic book movies. Either way, so long as Suicide Squad isn't another disappointment I think Wonder Woman should do okay.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Sure. Their movies were not the grounding level flops that would end franchise flops... I would say they have at least 2 chances to put that out of the water, but they really need better steering.

I think they need to embrace the other parts of their mythology, and Suicide Squad seems to be heading in the right direction.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Bad news for DC, BvS had the largest Friday-Sunday drop ever for a comic book movie. Now I'm really interested what next weekends numbers will come out to. If that is a indicator of a larger trend, WB may not even make their money back.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
trunkage said:
And this is an example of difference of opinion. Personally, I thought Captain America was the best of the Phase 1 MCU movies, and I was rather impressed with Thor, though that may have been because I did not expect to enjoy it. Iron Man 2 was okay, but I felt it was the weakest of the Phase 1 films.

Bob_McMillan said:
mduncan50 said:
True, but IMO the only reason any non-fan watched the next Marvel movies after Iron Man was because of Iron Man. People really just loved that movie.
Please clarify the last paragraph for me. Are you saying people watched the other Marvel films because of the success of the first Iron Man film, or because they liked the character of Iron Man? If the first, I agree with you, simply because Marvel proved it could make an enjoyable superhero movie and people were wondering if they could do it again with other characters. If the latter, then I'd say you couldn't be more wrong, especially considering how Iron Man is not in those films.