Poll: Is treating women in Gentlemanly way Sexist?

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Mortai Gravesend said:
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
I'd say that it's not sexist it's just polite, I assume most people are raised to treat women with respect. Also if I had to treat both genders exactly the same shit could get pretty awkward, everytime I say a women has a nice figure I'd have to say that her male friend also had a nice figure. Letting the door slam in a women's face because you think holding it open is sexist would be rude. I hold the door open for everyone be they male or female, ugly or smokin' hot, because I'm polite oh and because I think women are too weak to open the heavy door.
It is certainly sexist when your idea of politeness and respect involves discriminating against people.
How is my idea of politeness and respect discriminating?
If it involves treating them differently based on their gender then it's discriminating by definition. There are no gender differences that directly call for such different treatment. It's not like different anatomy or something.
I said I hold the door open for everyone at the end of my post.
Well then your definition of gentlemanly behavior seems to be quite a bit narrower than the others I've seen.
Well I feel that not being a gentleman to a woman is rude, but I'm a gentleman to everyone.

Gerishnakov

Jun 15, 2010
I try to be gentlemanly to everyone whether man or woman. What you do for each sex does differ of course, but men and women are different after all.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
It's not sexism; it's sexuality.

To call this sexism, means flirting is sexism: because people are generally attracted to a single gender (bisexuality excluded, obviously). It's blatant discrimination too, because you could be flirting with anyone, but no: you only flirt with one person based on looks. If you prefer asian girls, you're racist too. Scumbag.

They should lock you up without a trial for just that.

If someone ever says that to you again, punch them in the crotch. The fucker deserves it.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Yes. It's treating someone different based solely on gender. That, my friends, is the definition of sexist.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
apparently yeah it is, because i can recount a handful of times when a women as decided to call me sexist or misogynistic for behaving in a gentlemanly fashion, be it holding open doors or asking if they need help carrying something that looks heavy.

one women felt in necessary to go out of her way to come and tell me i am being sexist when i took some heavy bags off my friend saying i would carry them for her because they heavy.

despite this i have no intention of changing my behaviour.

bauke67

Apr 8, 2011
I guess it is sexist, when you think about it, but not necissarily in a bad way.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
BrassButtons said:
I'm one of the people who called him a sexist, not because he holds the door open for people, but because he specifically goes out of his way to treat women differently than men. Which is pretty obvious sexism.
And if he's doing that right there then yes, any behaviour based on the other persons gender is indeed sexism on way or another.

Apr 5, 2008
Look, it can vary depending on your point of view. If you wish to be technical, by the strictest definition of sexist, then yes it is. You are treating a woman differently than you would treat a man. However, while it might be sexist by the letter of the definition, it isn't by the spirit. I don't think the OP is really asking for that much depth and thus the answer is no. It's not sexist to have good manners around a woman.

And I doubt anyone will be taking you to an employment tribunal, magistrates court or calling 999 to report that you had the audacity to be polite and hold a door open for a lady.

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
Yes it is sexism. All humans should be treated the exact same. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a Racist Sexist Ageist pig. Once we neutralise the need for humans to reproduce physically then all gender barriers will cease. Asexuals unite!

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Would you do it for a fellow man? if not then it's sexist to a degree because you're treating women differently based on gender.

You can try and argue that you're only trying to be nice but if you're actually such a nice person why would you not extend those same courtesies to men?

Timmey

May 29, 2010
I voted no, male. Often I'll hold a door open for a girl or offer to carry something heavy for them. Whilst I would also extend the same courtesy to men I think I do it more to women. Though I think that to call this sexism simply undermines the meaning of the word, sexism should be about bigger and more important issues, not about common courtesy.

Valdus

Apr 7, 2011
Yes, because your treatment of someone is based solely on gender. Being nice to EVERYONE however is okay.

Darkwhite

Nov 15, 2010
BOOM headshot65 said:
So, afew people on here have called me sexist. What for? For suggesting that men treat women in a gentlemanly manner. Now, I can see that too a certain extent, like the whole "The world is unsafe for women, So I will keep you away from the world" style of gentleman-re IS sexist. However, what I was refering too was holding the door open for a women, pulling out her chair for her, offering her your jacket if it is cold, things like that. THAT is what I fail to see as being sexist.

So escapist, does the fact I want to be a gentleman make me sexist?
Well sexism is treating people differently because of their gender, so unless you do the same for men, yeah its sexist, is it bad though? Not really

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Nope.

Because I act like a gentleman towards everyone.

I'm classy like that.
I've gotta stick with this too. It's a habbit I don't plan to get rid of.

Psychoninja7

Nov 11, 2010
I have no problem with gentlemen. If that's what they want to do then fine, but as soon as they start thinking I'm weak on the grounds that I'm a woman, or that I shouldn't swear because I'm a woman or that I should act ladylike, yet let their male friends act as they please, then that will annoy me.

I'm pretty sure that would annoy any woman.

Chao_Ulv

Apr 15, 2012
Mortai Gravesend said:
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
I'd say that it's not sexist it's just polite, I assume most people are raised to treat women with respect. Also if I had to treat both genders exactly the same shit could get pretty awkward, everytime I say a women has a nice figure I'd have to say that her male friend also had a nice figure. Letting the door slam in a women's face because you think holding it open is sexist would be rude. I hold the door open for everyone be they male or female, ugly or smokin' hot, because I'm polite oh and because I think women are too weak to open the heavy door.
It is certainly sexist when your idea of politeness and respect involves discriminating against people.
ummm what?why is being polite to a woman sexist here, and how is being nice to women sexist. i kiss woman, but am i sexist for not kissing guys? women and men are two diffrent genders, and will be treated diffrently by others in diffrent social situations. to say holding a door or offering a coat only to a woman is like saying me only going out with women and turning down gay guys is sexist