Poll: Is your home country your favourite country?

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
This is an idea I just had for a poll. Let's see how many Escapists believe that their home country is the "best" one (use whatever definition of best you like), and then compare the answers from the United States to those from other countries. There's a stereotype that Americans are arrogant and think their nation is superior to the others, but I suspect that people from other countries may be just as arrogant*.

*We Canadians, of course, are humble and modest in addition to being intelligent and cultured.

Sorry to the people from 190 countries I didn't specify, but I think that the Escapist has more Americans than any other nationality.

EDIT: I posted a poll originally, but somehow it vanished. Is it possible to edit a poll onto a post?

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Damn right.
Go Britain.

We pull off some damn impressive stuff. A lot of it during the Empire, but we're not exactly insignificant as it is.

empa

Apr 6, 2011
I'm half syrian half swedish. with family in different countries america included.

Syria and america got allot in common but i prefer syria to be honest, america just felt so elitistic and "big dog" mentality. Good food though (unhealthy to the extreme though haha)

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
No. Germany is my favorite country. Great history, great inventions, great leaders.

Valate_v1legacy

Sep 16, 2009
I live in the U.S. and am pretty positive it isn't the best place ever. Everywhere has its problems, the US has the ability to not get anything important for its own people done.

johnstamos

May 17, 2011
never been outside of the U.S. , but every were else seems to be just as fucked up so yea it is

the spud

May 2, 2011
I am american and my favorite country is japan. Both my favorite people (guess which 2) live their. No, really, guess, I haven't had a new message all day.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I'm tempted to say yes, but seeing as how I've never lived in any other country for any significant amount of time, I really don't think I'm qualified to answer this question. So my answer is most likely the US, at this point in time.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
Nah can't say this is my fave. I dig Germany more.

I would probably consider having children if I were in Germany. Here you have to be poor to get kid-dole, there it's a given, even if you leave.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
I'm English, I love Wales, I also love Spain, the later for no more reason than the weather, everytime I visit for a few days it's amazig, I want to live there, especially the Canary Islands

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I should say that my favorite country is the USA but that excludes the governments and it's people. I'm just considering the land and the USA has some of the best land and national parks there is.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Yeah America is great. I mean I hate a lot of the stuff people choose to do with their freedom but I am happy to have it.

Ishadus

Apr 3, 2010
Canadian here, and absolutely love my country. But, unfortunately, I've never lived anywhere else, so I can't really have a truly informed opinion.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Xpwn3ntial said:
No. Germany is my favorite country. Great history, great inventions, great leaders.
This, plus the people are polite, the food is good, the country is gorgeous, there is no lack of attractive women, the language is easy enough to pick up, the tv is good, and it is just a pleasant place to live.

Sorry America, but you're just not what I'm looking for right now.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Chamale said:
This is an idea I just had for a poll. Let's see how many Escapists believe that their home country is the "best" one (use whatever definition of best you like), and then compare the answers from the United States to those from other countries. There's a stereotype that Americans are arrogant and think their nation is superior to the others, but I suspect that people from other countries may be just as arrogant*.

*We Canadians, of course, are humble and modest in addition to being intelligent and cultured.

Sorry to the people from 190 countries I didn't specify, but I think that the Escapist has more Americans than any other nationality.

EDIT: I posted a poll originally, but somehow it vanished. Is it possible to edit a poll onto a post?
No, it is not possible. Sorry. The Escapist java coding is faulty. Things don't always work.

Anyway, I'm actually not sure what to say. I'm an Irish-Italian born in Pittsburgh with a cynical view of the world around me. I'm not sure I can make a choice here.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Xpwn3ntial said:
The avatar, it's back!

OT: Yes, America is my favorite country.

starslasher

May 21, 2011
Xpwn3ntial said:
Except for one of them, right? :p But then again he was Austrian, wasn't he?

the spud said:
I am american and my favorite country is japan. Both my favorite people (guess which 2) live their. No, really, guess, I haven't had a new message all day.
Okay, I'll take a guess that the answer is "you" and "your partner". Would I be right?

Now onto me. I'm not that big on patriotism, and I have lived in 5 countries. I was born in Paksitan, and I don't plan on going back there. Not because of the people, the regular folk are actually all right. But it's way too damn hot for my taste, and needless to say, the government is screwed up, should make any Pakistani embarrassed more than the average national of their own government.

I have lived in Indonesia for 10 years, a good deal of my childhood, and I do like that country. The people are friendly, cool flora and fauna, fascinating cultures get introduced to. Sure, it's by no means spectacular, but I wouldn't mind living there.

I now live in Australia, and am an Australian citizen. And yeah, I really like this country. Most of the people are cool, even though a few of them are reprehensible, but every country has their share of degenerates, no? Not big on the government, but then again, who really are proud of their country's own government? But the summers are still too hot for me, here in Perth. -_-

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Dango said:
Xpwn3ntial said:
The avatar, it's back!

OT: Yes, America is my favorite country.
Yeah, I noticed you got a new Fuuko avatar and I thought "I miss Yuki and her awesome hat." So, thank you for inspiring me to bring her back.

captcha: all at sea

starslasher said:
Except for one of them, right? :p But then again he was Austrian, wasn't he?
Even him. That Hitler knew how to dress sharp and I really like Germany's advances in medicine and engineering at the time. Plus he gave us the Volkswagon and the Autobahn. Those are awesome. The whole Holocaust thing, not so much.