Poll: IT'S A TRAP! favorite game traps.

Glaceis

Mar 4, 2009
In light of Unforgotten realms new episode, Wish I went AFK, it made me remember of some of my dnd adventures and some of their traps. Are there any traps that you find memorable, absolutly hated or had to commend someone on because they were that fiendish? As a DM I have made a few, some that were good, some that were quite bad. Please post your favorite traps and tell us why you loved/hated them so much. I'd say my favorite one was one I made myself.

A sign engraved on a plaque reads "Twice four and twenty more, blackbirds sitting in the rain, shoot six down to the ground, how many remain?" In the room, covered in arrow launchers,there is a plate infront of a magic door, and a bag with 50 beads in it. No windows and as soon as you enter the door shuts behind you and magicaly locks. How do you open the door?

It's obvious to me that it is a riddle with an easy answer, but as always it was how you answered that made the difference. Please try to solve this problem while you wait. I have the answer, I'll tell you once someone gets it right.

roblikestoskate

Oct 16, 2008
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "traps". Do you mean situations that you can't escape until you solve the puzzle?

Glaceis

Mar 4, 2009
roblikestoskate said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "traps". Do you mean situations that you can't escape until you solve the puzzle?
That or any unexpected puzzle or hinderance, sneak attack, or anything along those lines that would catch you off guard the first time around.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
or do you mean those invisible spots that only serve to force the player to have an otherwise useless rogue in the party?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I prefer claymores.

None of this namby pamby solve my riddle or suffer nonsense. Just a good old click kaboom.
It's a far harsher punishment for the careless.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Tricks and traps are a good change of pace and can be fun if they are the main focus.

I would take 44 beads from the bag, eat them, then drop the bag onto the pressure plate from a height equal to the top of the door.

Jul 9, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
I prefer claymores.

None of this namby pamby solve my riddle or suffer nonsense. Just a good old click kaboom.
It's a far harsher punishment for the careless.
I agree. I prefer the traps in Fallout 3 though. I'm a stealth character, so every time I enter a new area, I have to weigh 2 options: Turn on my flashlight, which makes it harder to hide from enemies but way easier to see Tripwires, pressure plates, and mines, or keep it off and risk a trap.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Do you mean like Prince of Persia instant death traps? Because those are fucking fun.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Barnacles. Everyone had that moment in Half-Life 1.

"Oh cool, a rope, I wonder if I can climb it. Wait, where does this rope go t-HOLYSHITOHMYGODITSANALIEN!!!!"

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
I remember that part in oblivion before you even see the light of day for the first time, when you can push a few logs towards a bunch of goblins :)
good fun...(never saw such a situation again though...)

Glaceis

Mar 4, 2009
Riddles can be great ways to set traps... as for the changed to six... yeah. The group I was with didn't like too many mathmatical terms so I made a random number.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
I like traps, as long as they are cleaver and unique.

As for the riddle: Twice four and twenty more = 4*2 + 20 = 28

28-6=22

I'd take 22 from the bag and put them on the plate.

Glaceis

Mar 4, 2009
More Fun To Compute said:
Tricks and traps are a good change of pace and can be fun if they are the main focus.

I would take 44 beads from the bag, eat them, then drop the bag onto the pressure plate from a height equal to the top of the door.
Hmmm... never thought anyone would eat the beads... roll a survival check to see if they are toxic. Ha. Pretty good though. I would let you pass, maybe die due to poison or ripping apart your colon, something like that. But yeah. Good job. I also Would have accepted the empty bag only. The black birds would have flied away, anyones left would be dead black birds. I had an odd way of thinking.

Glaceis

Mar 4, 2009
22 is the wrong answer sorry. In that case I made them do a reflex save or get pelted by 22 arrows comming from random directions. They didn't like that.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
There's a part in Half-Life 2: Episode 1 where you get to a door and you go through a vent (again) to try to get to the other side. If you go the wrong way, you will fall through the vent and land right in front of Alyx, who says "Back already?". If you go the way you are supposed to, the vent will fall down into a room full of explosives and trips lasers. After a few failed attempts, I just ran through them into an elevator, the elevator fell into water, and I escaped through the roof right into a barnacle.

Valve has a comic genious among them.

I like traps as they make a game more interesting.

Glaceis

Mar 4, 2009
gigastrike said:
There's a part in Half-Life 2: Episode 1 where you get to a door and you go through a vent (again) to try to get to the other side. If you go the wrong way, you will fall through the vent and land right in front of Alyx, who says "Back already?". If you go the way you are supposed to, the vent will fall down into a room full of explosives and trips lasers. After a few failed attempts, I just ran through them into an elevator, the elevator fell into water, and I escaped through the roof right into a barnacle.
Wow... nice. Any way you do it screws yo uover one way or another. I like it.