Poll: I've got a Bad Feeling about CoD: Ghosts...

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
What it would mean for the industry is that there would be less CoD games being produced and less people buying them. I mean it's not like their target market is going to start playing RPGs or puzzle games and make those games any more profitable or numerous.

Anyways Call of Duty isn't going anywhere. They might have to rethink their FPS-a-year policy. But they definitely aren't going to go out of business any time soon.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Trippy Turtle said:
I will never understand consumers.People want a new CoD game and then complain that its similar to other games in the franchise, you know, almost like a sequel!
Mario is possibly one of the most loved games ever and in all its 'sequels' as far as I know it has added new maps (if you are lucky) and a few more powerups. Yet somehow people like to jump on the bandwagon and insult CoD for 'rehashing' the same old game. You know, conveniently leaving out the new plot, weapons, maps, game types, basically everything short or making it part of a separate franchise.
Because Nintendo are masters at taking a franchise and making it feel fresh. For all their similarities, I've never thought that I was playing the same game with a simple coat of new paint when I was played a Legend of Zelda. Whoever makes CoD isn't that masterful.
I never played much Zelda so I can't comment on that either way. But I certainly felt I was playing the same game over and over again with Mario.
If Nintendo is as you say I hope Mario is just a bad egg, I know it turned me off most Nintendo franchises considering a lot of people say its the best Nintendo has to offer.
Also with the exception of MW3, CoD never made me feel like I was playing a rehashed game. Similar sure, but the reason I buy CoD is to play a CoD game, not something completely different with a CoD sticker slapped on.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I voted I don't care, because I really don't. I haven't been interested in the series since CoD4, so the series falling off the earth would pretty much go by unnoticed by me.

As for the industry, Activision would lose a major cash cow and eventually some other franchise (not necessarily an Activision one] will replace it as the new big dog. Life will go on.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
It'll still sell very good probably.

I won't be buying it since some retard thought it was a good idea to implement that lobby bullshit console players are stuck with on the pc.

Seriously, fuck that system.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
Ghosts is certainly gonna sell well, but I think a lot of their core audience is looking at it and going "is this really call of duty?". Whenever the CoD-frenchise does something different, like they did with Blops 2, they are losing sells.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Trippy Turtle said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Trippy Turtle said:
I will never understand consumers.People want a new CoD game and then complain that its similar to other games in the franchise, you know, almost like a sequel!
Mario is possibly one of the most loved games ever and in all its 'sequels' as far as I know it has added new maps (if you are lucky) and a few more powerups. Yet somehow people like to jump on the bandwagon and insult CoD for 'rehashing' the same old game. You know, conveniently leaving out the new plot, weapons, maps, game types, basically everything short or making it part of a separate franchise.
Because Nintendo are masters at taking a franchise and making it feel fresh. For all their similarities, I've never thought that I was playing the same game with a simple coat of new paint when I was played a Legend of Zelda. Whoever makes CoD isn't that masterful.
I never played much Zelda so I can't comment on that either way. But I certainly felt I was playing the same game over and over again with Mario.
If Nintendo is as you say I hope Mario is just a bad egg, I know it turned me off most Nintendo franchises considering a lot of people say its the best Nintendo has to offer.
Also with the exception of MW3, CoD never made me feel like I was playing a rehashed game. Similar sure, but the reason I buy CoD is to play a CoD game, not something completely different with a CoD sticker slapped on.
Well the reverse is true for me, I was never into Mario, so I can't comment on that, but I heard Nintendo does get some flak for it (not that they care, obviously). And I know what you mean about wanting to play a CoD game, it's just they never felt different enough to me to warrant a purchase of the newest game, but then again I was never into "realistic" shooters.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Even if it's past it's peak it may have decades of gradual decline and stagnation left with it still being one of the biggest titles in the industry. But that is probably if they take it off annual release schedule and try to do things to make it interesting.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
Alright, so, trying to see how well the Call of Duty franchise sells, I looked it up on VGChartz, and saw This. [http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Call+of+Duty] Looking at it, I noticed something disturbing: That CoD Modern Warfare III looks to be the peak of the CoD Franchise. CoD: MWIII sold about 27 Million games, but the game after it, CoD: BLOPS II sold 22 Million. That's a 5 Million drop in sales. That's a huge drop, and a very worrying one...
I bet theyve earned more than they did for the proceding titles as theyve introduced the online pass, pretty much doubling the price of the game if you opt in.

Personally MW3 is the last title I bought, I dislike the Treyarch entries and IW is now IW in name only. Ive started playing battlefield instead. And oddly Gotham Imposters has now grabbed me for a while for "twich" shooting.

shadowuser10141

Jun 15, 2013
If you're not interested in CoD they why on earth do you guys keep bringing it up?

I have a theory. It's because the jocks play it. You know, the jocks who gave you a swirly in high school.
You don't like the idea that they are involved in your hobby.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
The fact it's "a new generation" will probably appeal to all the cod fans it's worth buying.

And how can you not buy it? It has fish that move!

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Longstreet said:
It'll still sell very good probably.

I won't be buying it since some retard thought it was a good idea to implement that lobby bullshit console players are stuck with on the pc.

Seriously, fuck that system.
It's here to stay. I've seen a lot of complaints from console players about dedicated servers on BF3, I think. Seriously, complaining about dedicated servers.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
idarkphoenixi said:
The fact it's "a new generation" will probably appeal to all the cod fans it's worth buying.

And how can you not buy it? It has fish that move!
And dogs dude, freaking dogs! It's a must buy!

But seriously, CoD hasn't done something new for ages now, it was getting stale when MW2 was released. It's like watching a movie full of quick time events.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
ZZoMBiE13 said:
With E3 2013 being a thing of the past and all the shiny new toys coming down the pipe, it would thrill me to see something like Titanfall or Division take a place at the top and let CoD fandom shrink a bit. I love sci-fi and as much as a bummer as it was to see all the Halo clones, I do miss Halo being the top dog. At least there was a bunch of sci-fi being made, even if most of it was lame.
I would take issue with you on the possible enjoyment of the Halo series, but I agree. It would be nice that Titanfall would replace COD as the leading FPS franchise. At least it has goddamn mechs in it.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I highly doubt it'll fail, in the traditional sense anyway. The game's probably still going to sell 20+ million copies. But yeah, I do think we'll be seeing a downward trend. Modern Warfare 3 alienated a lot of players with its tiny, poorly-designed maps and hilariously imbalanced weaponry, and Black Ops 2 just frankly wasn't very good. I played Black Ops 2 during one of the free-to-play weekends on Steam, and yeah... it's the first Call of Duty game to date that I've had zero interest in spending money on.

Between the disappointing MW3 and the trainwreck BO2, yeah... I just don't see myself buying Ghosts on launch day. I think I'll wait for another free-to-play weekend or massive price cut to decide.

Edit:
Oh, and I voted that I don't care. I like CoD games, sure... but there are plenty of other games out there that I like more. So it's not going to really matter much to me one way or the other.

xefaros

Jun 27, 2012
CoD is the league of legends of consoles of course it will have lower sales when better games appear(BF3/Dota 2).But it will never stoop too low to become unprofiting for the developers.
The only hope is that it will provide something better on the next gen hardware to draw people back away from the rest of the games that they plague in the absence of a good CoD

CoD/LoL comparison:Same repeated gameplay,blaming others,talking incoherently,sense of accomplishment(pentakill/360 no-scope),level progression and above all unlocks

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
It will sell well but I think COD is on a downward spiral now, personally I know very few people who play it now whereas it seemed almost everyone did at one time.

I tried COD4 and MW2 and clocked up about 16 hours between them and that was me done I tried the single player and hated it but I have a friend who plays purely for the single player he never goes online with it even though he is pretty damn good.

COD and Assassins Creed have had their day but there is still life left in them atm its just that its getting to the time they need a new franchise to milk to death.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
BQE said:
I think there may be something to be said about the fact the Black Ops are developed by a different company.
True, but CoD: BLOPS 1 sold close to 26 Million, so I don't think it's the fact that BLOPS II was made by a different company.
But the average consumer had no idea about who developed what and continues to buy Call of Duty on the name 'Call of Duty', not because of the developer (who have internally changed anyway). The average guy might have bought Black Ops not knowing it was not by the people who did Modern Warfare. They then backed off buying Black Ops 2 because they did not enjoy Black Ops 1 as much.

Not everyone is like this, but at least 5 million players of CoD could be.

This is likely why Activision support the new variants of the name of the game. Because they know with their milking of the franchise they're slowly tainting its name. But by releasing new variants on the formula they can keep the franchise going until Guitar Hero saturation sets in. i.e. any day now.

ugxwolf

May 31, 2013
I think CoD is becoming a niche. It won't lose all of its followers, and hell, we may see it become a system exclusive, when it reaches something like 10 million in sales at best. Well, that's what I would say, if a sensible company were developing it, but this is Activision. If sales go as low as 10 mil, they won't go single-plat, they're gonna kill the franchise. It's what they did the GH, it's what they did with Tony Hawk. I hate to see this happen again, but honestly? I've lost the capacity to care. I'm giving CoD Ghosts a chance on the Wii U, but if that doesn't cut it, they've lost my interest and any future sales.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Tastes and trends change. Before CoD, Halo was the big go-to shooter that EVERYONE wanted. Then Modern Warfare took it's crown. There's certainly room for change since CoD has been the defacto big shooter since 2007.

I don't think CoD is going to die anytime soon though. It does what it does extremely well. It's not really my kind of game and I know that sentiment is going to be echoed by most people on these message boards, but it makes a lot of people happy in a strange almost cultist kind of way.

With E3 2013 being a thing of the past and all the shiny new toys coming down the pipe, it would thrill me to see something like Titanfall or Division take a place at the top and let CoD fandom shrink a bit. I love sci-fi and as much as a bummer as it was to see all the Halo clones, I do miss Halo being the top dog. At least there was a bunch of sci-fi being made, even if most of it was lame.
Nailing it on the head as always, ZZoMBiE. And I, too, miss the time when Halo was top dog. It was awesome to get a bunch of pals together for random spontaneous custom games. Always having someone who wanted to do a little Kart racing, or equipment wars. Now it's a wasteland. You have to plan to have a custom game, leaving out all of the spontaneity that the previous games had. I hope something like TitanFall, Division, or Destiny takes up the crown of the shooter market's top dog. We need something sci-fi to take over, because one gets bored when they're just seeing sand, strykers, humvees, and other familiar present-day tech.