Poll: Katana and Rapier: An Objective Comparison

Tuxedoman

Apr 16, 2009
Hmm. I'd say it would be about even in all honesty, as it really comes down to the warrior wielding the weapon more than the weapon its self.

The rapier has a lot going for it. It has reach, speed and length. The katana has cutting power, and its shorter size means (in theory) it is easier to control. The Rapierest would want to keep his opponent at length as much as possible and attempt to keep his blade on top of the Katana rather than wait for an attack.

I haven't fought with or against Katana's before, so I can't really make a solid analysis of them. If its anything like German Longsword, then I imagine it would have to use its higher mass to try and just blow through the rapier guards and get as close as possible as fast as possible.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
spartan231490 said:
Abomination said:
spartan231490 said:
I mean, I would love to see you block a katana strike with a rapier
But that's the thing, a person proficient with a rapier wouldn't try to block a strike... they'd parry it.

And yes there's a difference.

They would also try and stay outside of their opponents range so they would be more likely to dodge than even consider needing to parry, let alone block.
I'd like to see you parry one too, there is a lot of force in a two-handed strike, not to mention both hands to keep the blade on target. The range thing has some merit, but you're not going to be able to retreat faster than a guy who know's he's dying can run, you can't backstep as fast as a person with no reason to defend can charge. You could maybe sidestep, but assuming you were already at dueling range, you probably couldn't get wide enough to avoid the counter attack.
Not certain what type of combat you're envisioning here but the sidestep is also an attack for a fencer and a parry doesn't need to be very strong as it's about leverage and sudden shock to an opponent's blade or angling/guiding it away from the body.

The scenario here can depend on a number of factors. If the samurai is armoured then the scenario would demand the fencer also be armoured... and in turn he would have a pistol or a musket because that's why his very blade exists. If it's just sword vs. sword then the fencer has a far lighter blade and a style based upon evasion and thrusts against an opponent whose style relies on grapples and cuts.

Tuxedoman

Apr 16, 2009
This isn't Rapier vs Katana, but its one of the better examples of steel combat on youtube. You can get a good idea as to how the rapier would be used in a combat situation

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
The Katana is designed as a war weapon.
The Rapier is designed for self defense.
There's a good chance the katana user will survive getting skewered by a rapier, not so good chance a rapier user will survive getting a katana wedged deep into him.
The Katana was designed as a two handed weapon, it also tends to be significantly stronger.The katana may be able to break the rapier with a powerful blow.

ColonelHopper

Mar 21, 2011
Tuxedoman said:
This isn't Rapier vs Katana, but its one of the better examples of steel combat on youtube. You can get a good idea as to how the rapier would be used in a combat situation

Excellent example! Both of these fighters seem to be about equally skilled, and this video showcases virtually all of the specific techniques and scenarios that have been discussed that would be most applicable to our little hypothetical here. Sure, the weapon opposing the rapier is not a katana, but really, there's not a whole lot of difference between the two.
This example also addresses the 'blade cutting' issue. If a blade is to damage or break another in combat, it won't be by slicing through it. It will be by shocking it so much it breaks under the stress of the impact. Clearly, you can see two examples of steel weapons, one a rapier, one a large two-handed sword, which would probably be heavier than a traditionally constructed katana, in nearly seven minutes of sustained combat, with heavy blows dealt to both. And yet, no damaged or broken rapier.
Once again, thanks for the video, Tuxedoman. I need to go hit up my two-handed sparring partner now...

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
A traditional katana could slice through steel. This is considering that it was made the proper way. So I'm pretty sure they'd be able to slice a rapier too.

Tuxedoman

Apr 16, 2009
ColonelHopper said:
Heh, I need to actually DO more longsword sparring. Exams have left little time for training and fights, and there's only so much you can get out of reading over Wallerstein and other Codex's

prpshrt said:
A traditional katana could slice through steel. This is considering that it was made the proper way. So I'm pretty sure they'd be able to slice a rapier too.
The metal used in armour and the metal used in swords is VERY different. Armour in untempered steel, meaning that it has no memory. If you hit it, you'll leave a nice bit dent (assuming you hit hard enough). Tempered steel however is flexible and will bounce back into its original position.

Rapier blades are not little dainty foils. Sure they're thinner than Katanas, but they're still about 20-30mm wide. Its more likely the Katana will bite into the blade, but that in its self isn't something either fighter would want. That means that both of the blades are now stuck together and effectively useless until they're unbound.

You should be blocking on the flat of your blade with any type of sword to preserve its life.

I'm rambling a bit now though. In short, I HIGHLY doubt any sword can cut through another sword unless some other factor is in play, such as the core of a sword being rusted.

Mick Beard

Jan 9, 2013
blah blah blah katanas can cut thru tanks and can even cut meteorites in half blah blah blah its true I seen it on the internets blah blah blah

Katanas to be honest are not great weapons. they were great for Japanese style fighting against other Japanese people.

even the Japanese preferred to use spears and Naginatas over a katana.

and the way a katana is made isn't some magical thing only the Japanese did.

Germanic tribes, romans, celts, Saxons, Vikings all did this with their weapons 1000 years before the Japanese did.. why did they stop making these magical folded and pattern welded blades you ask?

well they stop because they developed STEEL and any STEEL is better then folded iron!

ardias014

Aug 31, 2009
Um guys, you are aware the katana is also a thrusting weapon, right? n a duel it is debatable that a rapier would win, but on a battle field a rapier would be worth next to shit compared to a katana or any other blade for that matter. I would like to see someone take a rapier against a pike or yari formation and see how they fared.

Also demoman_chaos, the bow was initially the main weapon for samurai, but it didn't remain so. Also a katana is not useless against a spear wall. When confronting a spear wall you have to knock pike and spears out of the way, which a rapier cannot do, this is why weapons like the zweihander were used in pike formations in Europe.

Wyes

Aug 1, 2009
ColonelHopper said:
Clearly, you can see two examples of steel weapons, one a rapier, one a large two-handed sword, which would probably be heavier than a traditionally constructed katana, in nearly seven minutes of sustained combat, with heavy blows dealt to both. And yet, no damaged or broken rapier.
Katanas actually tend to be heavier than longswords (when you compare the museum pieces and the good reconstructions). See this video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsYbRom3h7U]. In fact, most of this school's stuff is pretty good.

prpshrt said:
That is an extraordinary claim, and extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence, of which I have not seen any.

Tuxedoman said:
Rapier blades are not little dainty foils. Sure they're thinner than Katanas, but they're still about 20-30mm wide. Its more likely the Katana will bite into the blade, but that in its self isn't something either fighter would want. That means that both of the blades are now stuck together and effectively useless until they're unbound.

You should be blocking on the flat of your blade with any type of sword to preserve its life.
A couple points;

Unless both swords have quite soft edges, they will not 'get stuck'. They do stick a little, but not nearly to the extent you're suggesting. I have actually done some drills with sharps (we did a seminar on Fiore with Guy Windsor, who is big on drilling with sharps at least once per technique).

Otherwise, where does the claim that you should be blocking with the flat come from? In some sense it's true that parrying with the flat will preserve the edge of the sword, but if you're parrying with the edge you're parrying with the forte, which you're not cutting with anyway. I mean, I'm not saying there aren't flat parries, but from the manuals they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Tuxedoman said:

I'm rambling a bit now though. In short, I HIGHLY doubt any sword can cut through another sword unless some other factor is in play, such as the core of a sword being rusted.
Goes to show how little I know about rapiers ._.

ColonelHopper

Mar 21, 2011
Wyes said:
ColonelHopper said:
Katanas actually tend to be heavier than longswords (when you compare the museum pieces and the good reconstructions). See this video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsYbRom3h7U]. In fact, most of this school's stuff is pretty good.
Learn something every day. Actually, makes sense, much thicker blade.

A couple points;

Unless both swords have quite soft edges, they will not 'get stuck'. They do stick a little, but not nearly to the extent you're suggesting. I have actually done some drills with sharps (we did a seminar on Fiore with Guy Windsor, who is big on drilling with sharps at least once per technique).

Otherwise, where does the claim that you should be blocking with the flat come from? In some sense it's true that parrying with the flat will preserve the edge of the sword, but if you're parrying with the edge you're parrying with the forte, which you're not cutting with anyway. I mean, I'm not saying there aren't flat parries, but from the manuals they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.
The explanation that I've always heard is that it prevents damage to the blade, a flat parry spreads the impact, an edge impact might snap the blade easier. Not sure if this is true. Most practitioners don't really try to intentionally place their valued blades in situations where they might easily be broken, so it'll be hard to figure out.

Also, please, anyone, show me a credible example of a katana cutting through steel reliably? I'd love to see it.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
In general, the point beats the edge. Also, the quality of the steel katanas were made from wasn't that great. That's why they folded it 8 times or so to make it workable.

Tuxedoman

Apr 16, 2009
Wyes said:
Snip Snip mc Snip
In terms of the sharps biting, I haven't fought or drilled with sharps myself so I was going from second hand sources rather than first hand. I want to, but I need the money for one.

And as for the flat parries, I was under the impression it was very commonplace? It is in Meyer's work and im fairly certain that its in Fiore too. Ringeck has a bunch of stuff about parrying with the flat (Absetzen), and I have yet to see anything in Talhoffer that is explicitly edge on egde.

That said, the only fechtbuch I can think of that tells you straight out "Block with the flat" is Wallerstein at plates 65 and 69. They are Messer scripts, so yeah, the knuckle guard is there...

Edge on edge vs Edge on flat is apparently a huge cause of debate in assorted HEMA and WMA groups, so everyone to his own. Kind of like this whole rapier vs katana thing thats going on..

Wyes

Aug 1, 2009
ColonelHopper said:
The explanation that I've always heard is that it prevents damage to the blade, a flat parry spreads the impact, an edge impact might snap the blade easier. Not sure if this is true. Most practitioners don't really try to intentionally place their valued blades in situations where they might easily be broken, so it'll be hard to figure out.
The thing is that a great many manuals are pretty explicit when talking about parrying, and they talk about parrying with the edge of the forte (see George Silver's 'Paradoxes of Defence', either Taylor or Page for Highland Broadsword, I believe its in the very few sources for English longsword, I'm pretty sure Fiore talks about it, it's in Bolognese, etc.).

The only school I can think of off the top of my head who teaches parrying with the flat as the rule rather than the exception is the ARMA, headed by John Clements who has developed something of a reputation over it. The ARMA also has a reputation for being isolationist and not wanting to interact with other schools.

Wyes

Aug 1, 2009
Tuxedoman said:
Certainly there are flat parries, they do exist, but they've always seemed to be the exception to the rule. The thing is that most of the reputable schools and HEMA practitioners I'm aware of have taken the edge parry interpretation, and there are most definitely manuals that explicitly tell you to parry with the edge (the aforementioned Paradoxes of Defence being a good example).

As far as I can tell, parrying with the edge is biomechanically advantageous over parrying with the flat.

It might be that it's more common in the German stuff, which I'm not particularly familiar with, although my instructors are.

EDIT: Oops, double post.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
ardias014 said:
Um guys, you are aware the katana is also a thrusting weapon, right? n a duel it is debatable that a rapier would win, but on a battle field a rapier would be worth next to shit compared to a katana or any other blade for that matter. I would like to see someone take a rapier against a pike or yari formation and see how they fared.

Also demoman_chaos, the bow was initially the main weapon for samurai, but it didn't remain so. Also a katana is not useless against a spear wall. When confronting a spear wall you have to knock pike and spears out of the way, which a rapier cannot do, this is why weapons like the zweihander were used in pike formations in Europe.
You do realize it's pointless to bring other weapons into the debate, the rapier and katana were designed to be used in two totally different styles of war. The rapier on the battlefield was a backup weapon for shot and pike formations, a katana would be equally useless against a musket firing line backed up by pike and bayonet. History actually supports this one as the Japanese armies got utterly wrecked by even basic firearms, so asking the rapier to perform against naginatas and whole formations is the height of pointlessness as you might as well start bringing in the other associated weapons of the time period.

This is part of the problem right here though, some rapiers are indeed large enough to parry spears and some are even heavier than the average katana, rapier is a very broad term and covers a lot of different styles of swords, they were actually used to counter pikemen in some cases which is pretty much the European equivalent to a naginata. In the early rennaissance the weapons that would be called rapiers were also used as heavy plate armor piercing weapons on occasion.

That's why this entire debate is pointless, there's too many variables to make an informed decision. The relative skill of the combatants will make a huge difference just to start. Even then we have to decide on what types of katana and rapier we are talking about here, there are a few different katana designs, and a metric crapton of rapier designs, some wildly different from each other. A foil would be useless in a real fight to the death, but in a sporting match, can leverage it's speed and size to score hits. The heaviest of rapiers are bigger tougher and longer than your average katana as they were made to parry and deflect musket bayonets and pike weapons, in this case you get a much slower but also more powerful weapon. Past that, there's also the fact that in a fight to the death scenario the rapier was designed to be one handed so the other hand could carry a weapon too, typically a buckler or dagger, or even another rapier, and later in the renaissance the rapier was typically coupled with a single shot pistol in the other hand. That alone is a point against this whole stupid debate since you start out handicapping the rapier wielder who is using a weapon designed to free up a hand so another weapon or shield can be put in it in a real combat scenario.

Of course even past all that, these weapons weren't designed in a vacuum, in real combat these were both support weapons meant to back up the fighter's main weapons. the samurai typically riding on horseback with a bow, also carrying a spear of some type, and decked out in fairly heavy bamboo armor. The rapier wielder would have generally had a gun of some sort as well as some type of armor depending on what they were actually trying to defend against, and any ranking officer at the time likely would be carrying multiple single or double shot pistols on them as well. Sport scenarios aren't great to compare to these situations either because sport fencing and kendo tend to involve moves a real combatant would never go for as quickly because of the dire risk to their life, a real combat scenario would more likely turn into a wrestling match or both combatants fighting really dirty with each other.

The whole conversation does a disservice to the historical situation that made these two weapons what they were for their time period, you would be much better served arguing for outcomes in a modern competition scenario, as people have already posted videos, the rule and restriction heavy sport arena makes these debates at least marginally plausible.

ardias014

Aug 31, 2009
Mick Beard said:
blah blah blah katanas can cut thru tanks and can even cut meteorites in half blah blah blah its true I seen it on the internets blah blah blah

Katanas to be honest are not great weapons. they were great for Japanese style fighting against other Japanese people.

even the Japanese preferred to use spears and Naginatas over a katana.

and the way a katana is made isn't some magical thing only the Japanese did.

Germanic tribes, romans, celts, Saxons, Vikings all did this with their weapons 1000 years before the Japanese did.. why did they stop making these magical folded and pattern welded blades you ask?

well they stop because they developed STEEL and any STEEL is better then folded iron!
They preferred to use spears because they were cheap and good at distance and most samurai even if they used another weapon like a naginata, they kept another blade in case it broke.

Also the important part is not that they folded the blade, it is how they did it. Instead of having a uniform blade, the cutting edge of the blade was made up of brittle, but very sharp steel. The rest of it is very durable. The main weakness of the katana's material is that it has to be maintained constantly. This is because the oil used in maintaining it also makes crap grow on the blade.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, firstly, one should note that people using katanas were more likely to also be wearing armor. Rapiers were really designed to be used by unarmored bearers against unarmored foes.

Secondly, a longer blade also makes for a longer draw time; many katana practitioners specifically trained in iaijutsu, meaning that in some situations they would be attacking while the rapier practitioner was still clearing sheath.

Thirdly, a long thrusting weapon is great when you hit your opponent from the outside; not so great if your opponent moves inside of your ready attack area with a cleaving weapon. See Rob Roy.

Some of these issues become less meaningful if the rapier user was using a main-gauche.

It should also be noted that many katana users knew one-handed as well as two-handed techniques.

I tend to favor the katana user. I do like rapiers; they're fast and elegant weapons. But if I was in a fight for my life, give me the katana.

Tuxedoman

Apr 16, 2009
Wyes said:
Tuxedoman said:
Certainly there are flat parries, they do exist, but they've always seemed to be the exception to the rule. The thing is that most of the reputable schools and HEMA practitioners I'm aware of have taken the edge parry interpretation, and there are most definitely manuals that explicitly tell you to parry with the edge (the aforementioned Paradoxes of Defence being a good example).

As far as I can tell, parrying with the edge is biomechanically advantageous over parrying with the flat.

It might be that it's more common in the German stuff, which I'm not particularly familiar with, although my instructors are.

EDIT: Oops, double post.
Im the opposite, I don't know a whole lot about the assorted Italian teachings and have learned nearly exclusively from German teachings. Flat vs Edge im thinking has its advantages and disadvantages based on the situation you'd use it in.

I believe what we have learned here today is that, indeed, you can not cut through a rapier with a Katana.