Poll: Kid Banned From Scoring For Being Too Awsome

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Before you rage, read the whole article.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Youth-league-institutes-TD-limit-to-hold-back-11?urn=highschool-wp6562
What do you think?
Frankly, if I was so good at something they needed to fit me with a handicap I would feel pretty good but a little annoyed.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
That is the single most idiotic thing i've ever heard it's like saying to a kid getting good grades "your doing just a tad to well we'll just change some A's to D's to even out".

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
While it does seem like their limiting his potential growth. If you have one kid like that in the league it will frustrate other players and they might not want to continue playing. 11 is pretty young I think it's fine. If they were 13 and older though... well at that point the 'kid gloves' come off.

I remember when I was very little my older brother wanted to play basketball and they limited him for for pretty much the same reasons. They would only let him for half the game because at age 12 he was already 6'3" ish. My parents were okay with this because if he pissed off too many other players there would be nowhere else to play in a community as small as ours.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
genericusername64 said:
Kids have pretty fragile self esteem it would be different if they were in high school
Oh yes, because teenagers are very self-confident.

OT: He seems to take it pretty well, so as long as he's alright with it I don't see the problem.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
azzxl said:
That is the single most idiotic thing i've ever heard it's like saying to a kid getting good grades "your doing just a tad to well we'll just change some A's to D's to even out".
Well, if you are getting good grades you are not effecting anyone learning while if you are the only one with the ball during a game then you are keeping other, less experience players from catching up to you so the whole team is lesser for it.

I think a comment left on the original post is a good one.

It's by a soccer or basket ball coach and it pretty much says that if he is in a situation like his he switches the player to a new position, to get him experience on other positions as well as giving the other players playing the same position more or a chance to gain experience.

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
No, that's BS. A kid has talent so we won't let him play? How are we supposed to foster children to be great when being great excludes you.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
ace_of_something said:
While it does seem like their limiting his potential growth. If you have one kid like that in the league it will frustrate other players and they might not want to continue playing. 11 is pretty young I think it's fine. If they were 13 and older though... well at that point the 'kid gloves' come off.

I remember when I was very little my older brother wanted to play basketball but they would only let him for half the game because at age 12 he was already 6'3".
I remember I wanted to play rugby, but I was so heavy the told me I had to wait to get into a higher age group.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I can kinda understand implementing the rule for that kid. If a single player can score seven times in a little league game (which is probably no more than half as long as a high school/middle school/college) it can be extremely demoralizing for the other team.
The rule they implemented with the kid is like the 'mercy' rule some little leagues use where they call the game if it gets entirely one-sided.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Rem45 said:
No, that's BS. A kid has talent so we won't let him play? How are we supposed to foster children to be great when being great excludes you.
He is still allowed to play.

The rule actually is very lenient, saying quote " bars him from scoring a touchdown if he has already scored three times and his team has a lead of 14 points or more." It doesn't say anything about not letting him play.

He could probably get to the 5 yard line, take a dive, and carry on from their.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
Ordinarily, I'd probably get pretty pissed at this. However, the rule doesn't seem too strict. His team has to be two touchdowns ahead for him to stop scoring.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
genericusername64 said:
Kids have pretty fragile self esteem it would be different if they were in high school
Wait, what? you mean teenagers have a stronger self esteem than kis!?

OT: If he is that good he probably needs just to leave that league and join a better one. The rule is stupid, but remaining ruling over noobs won't do him any favors.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
So the Mario Kart principle of "catch up mode" has been ported to real sporting events.

Fantastic.

People blame these current generations for being self centred and having no understanding of how the real world works, but look at the shit people deal with...

Ergh...

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Can't they just move him up a league? That just seems like a much better idea.

I wish they did that with rugby back when I was 13, we would play much better teams and lose up to 60 nil most games, ONCE they stopped the game at half time because we were already 60 points down. Biggest waste of time ever.

dstryfe

Mar 27, 2009
They did that to me in soccer. Stuck me in goal to stop me from scoring. I didn't let a single goal in, though, so I doubt it rebalanced the game any.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Daveman said:
Can't they just move him up a league? That just seems like a much better idea.

I wish they did that with rugby back when I was 13, we would play much better teams and lose up to 60 nil most games, ONCE they stopped the game at half time because we were already 60 points down. Biggest waste of time ever.
Well, next year in seventh grade the rule doesn't apply.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Not only unfair, but retarded.
"We'll motivate them to be better by stop the good ones from playing" That's a great logic.
Just imagine it in a video game. An admin tells you that you snipe too many people so you must stop killing them. Or your Marine army in SC2 is too big so you need to kill some of them.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Huh. I see where they're coming from, but it's a bit silly. Would it be possible to just make him play in the team for the year above? Loads of school sports teams do that over here, I remember back when I used to play in my old school's teams it happened a lot.