Poll: Kid Banned From Scoring For Being Too Awsome

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
metsplayer1 said:
That's just stupid. I go to Gilman in Baltimore, and we have great football. For the second year in a row we had someone elected to the under armour all american football game, last year Darius Jennings, this year Cyrus Jones. THat rule is like saying that they can never play football again after the game. It's just stupid that they're stifling his talent.
Keep in mind this rule only applies for those under grade 7, where your sports performance is not realy as important as having fun and getting younger kids interested in playing for real.

It was the same for me in Little League baseball. I played it in 2nd grade and loved it but once i hit minor league I wanted out.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
This may be just because I've been reading Ender's Game, but they could just transfer him to a higher league instead of limiting his present potential.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
While it's certainly stupid, can't say I argue with the need to do it.

It's a kids league, more about having fun than true competition as far as I'm concerned. And if the majority of players are just standing around because one guy is running the game, it's not fun.

Also worth noting that while the rule is made because of that kid, it's not specific to him. It simply limits any one player carrying things too much, basically just forcing more of a team effort, not something I have a problem with anyways.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
twistedmic said:
My baseball little league had that rule as well, which I experienced from the loosing end. I had a game get called at the bottom of the fourth (we played to the sixth) and my team was down eleven or twelve to zero. At the time I was a little grateful that the game ended when it did.
I've been on both sides of that, and if you're down a whole lot it can be a blessing as there is nothing worse than getting completely blown out of the water. Losing that sucked a lot, but I was never a huge fan of winning that way either. I still wanted to win, but I wanted to at least be kind of close.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
kayisking said:
OT: He seems to take it pretty well, so as long as he's alright with it I don't see the problem.
This. Honestly, if I was him I'd take it as an enormous ego boost. He's so good they have to handicap him.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
I heard he was pretty damn good.

He's only allow five touchdowns a game. That cool, know why? Next year there WON'T be a restriction.

Fear him, for he will come.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Did anyone read that article?

He can still bloody play. He can still do what he needed. Helll, he can even do a BADASS BOAST.

"I'm so fucking good that they have to HANDICAP me, just for the other guys to even play!"

I think this is a crowning moment of awesome.

Trivea

Jan 27, 2011
I think all this will do is wear down his enthusiasm for the game, not to mention give the other kids unrealistic expectations. If someone is doing better than you in the games, work harder in practices and in your free time to get better. Don't hold the good players back until everyone is on the same level of mediocrity.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
I bet that kid is getting one hell of a KICK out of this.

Get it? Kick?

That happens in football right? It's got foot right in the name.

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
Let the kid kick ass. He's going to go places if he improves skill like that. It's stupid that they would look at him and say "Oh, you're just too good. Sit on the bench."

Who cares if he kicks the other kids asses? Is he going to damage their fragile ego's? When I was in elementary if there was a kid who was really good at something, then everyone aspired to work hard to be at his/her level. This is bullshit, plain and simple. I smell a few parents bitching because little Johnny was getting schooled-up by this kid, so they made a stink.

Fuckin' idiots teaching kids that everyone's the same and deserves to win. Truth is, not everyone is the same, some people are better then others. The sooner kids learn that that's truth, the happier they will be.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Credossuck said:
they basically publicly knighted him.

He should be rolling in puss right now if he weren't 11. dunno what 11 year olds roll in nowadays.
I was rolling in pus when I was eleven.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
I posted this same thing yesterday and my thread didn't get up to five pages :(

Jul 29, 2011
I think this is a bad way to handle things. Instead of stoping the kid from scoring or maybe even playing (I didn't see anything about it in article), maybe they should focus on raising the bar for the other players?

But I love that he is such a good sport about it, I know I would be quite pissed.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
It's only for one year but damn, they could've just referred him to a higher up league or something.

I guess it's a bit fair for the other kids, but always in soccer there were the clearly good players that the team didn't mind spending the entire match with the ball because it meant we as a team would win. Still, gotta admire how the guy's handling it all, here's hoping for the best when he moves into the seventh-grade lague next year.

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
We had a similar rule in rugby when we first started playing in school. If you scored 2 tries you were switched to a defensive position so that the other kids could have a go at it. The rule disappeared at some point further up school though, when sports started being taken "seriously"...