Poll: Kid Banned From Scoring For Being Too Awsome

Dec 27, 2010
Why not move him into higher age-group? Surely if he outmatches his current group the only solution is pit him against equal/ better players.

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
Well, there is a mercy rule. Also, it keeps scouts from putting their slimey hands on children to polish them into a football player. Pro football players have an average retirement age at their early 30's. At that point, the player would usually have brain damage, permanent limps and bad backs. If anything, they are protecting the boy. But it won't prevent those college scouts from stalking 9 year olds and offering them scholarships as long as they keep playing sports. Finally, those scumbags at EA will use their names on video games and they won't see a penny of royalty from the sales. Even if they don't decide to get drafted and have a meaningful job, EA will still make money from the hard work and pain they've endured. Look at South Park's Crack-Ball Baby Athletic Association.

Yes, he is being limited to play, but it prevents him from getting hurt and exploited by the NCAA and EA.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
kayisking said:
genericusername64 said:
Kids have pretty fragile self esteem it would be different if they were in high school
Oh yes, because teenagers are very self-confident.
You have blown it out of proportion. A teenager will already have developed a sense of justice and just accept some bad things in his/her life. I understand they don't want the kid's feelings hurt but they should just let them man up.

Nature is probably facepalming at what we have done to limit ourselves. Small things like this will probably mean the end of our species some day.

Deshara said:
(...)(children aren't renowned for being good sports)(...)

(...)letting one kid ruin the game for the entire opposing team, they're hurting their chances of sticking to it. Makes sense that they'd limit him... (...)
Then what are they doing there? If they can't learn to accept defeat early who will teach them after they already have bad habits?

And winning by a landslide because you are better (and not by cheating) is ruining a sport? You really have good sportsmanship.

Excuse me, but isn't this a gaming website? We are the ones who understand the concept of testosterone driving us into humiliate our opponents and conquer anyone on our path. We praise skill and dominating everyone isn't ruining a game at all.

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
yes, this sucks for him, but there were situations like thiis when i played soccer at about his age. The exceptionally good kids would end up laying on a team comprised of older kids, adn they would do fine. The rest of us would play with kids our own age, and it would be fine. If that is not an option, just have him run the ball to 1 yard from the endzone, run out of bounds, and let someone else score. The rest of the team is usefull, he still gets to porve how awesome he is, everyone wins... except for the other team, but that`s just life.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
Sounds like a good rule to me.

The kid is good, he knows it, his teammates know it, his coaches know it, etc. Let the other kids on the team have a chance to play.

The only thing I would have liked better, is if "The League" (or whoever is in charge here) approached the kid's coaches with the rule first. Let them handle it low-key so that it doesn't make front page news.

Really, it all comes down to sportsmanship. There are other kids on his team who deserve to get the ball every so often. As this kid gets older, and joins more competitive leagues, he'll be able to run wild.

Is it too early to draft him for my Fantasy Team, circa 2021?

RamirezDoEverything

Jan 31, 2010
Whiney parents is the problem, everybody is a winner in today's society so no one's feelings get hurt.

NOT EVERYONE IS A WINNER, SOME PEOPLE LOSE.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
While I understand the ruling, I do not agree with it. Especially if its not a house league, but rather competitive.

I don't like rules like this because it may actually stop great people from reaching their potential.

There was once a scrawny little 10 year old that scored 378 goals in a hockey league. He went on to be the greatest hockey player of all time. Could you imagine what would have happened if they stopped him from playing?

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
The kid doesn't mind, the other kids don't get left out, and the change goes away in less than a year.

Please explain the problem here to me?

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
It's not fair, but hey, the kid takes it well. So long as it doesn't stop him from going far, it'll be fine.

evilartist

Nov 9, 2009
heh Sorry for sounding like I'm trolling, but I need to mention this: why am I not surprised that the athlete had to shoehorn "God" in somewhere. Is it just me, or do most professional athletes seem to attribute all of their skills to "a higher power"?

Say kid, where is that god of yours when these idiots are punishing you for being so good?

EDIT: Meh, forget it. Now I'm just being a dick.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I cannot help but feel sympathy for the notion of it being rather silly... if not downright wrong and evil.

Then again, it's a trending way of handling things... on sports day, winners are instructed not to cheer, for it could demoralize the losers. Kids have already been instructed by their teachers not to discuss their (good) grades or show their school reports to anyone but their parents. Yeah, there's a lot of wicked thinking, some philosophy and quite a bit of politics involved in this, so it's rather hard to openly discuss or properly counter this one.

Needless to say, a lot of otherwise very capable kids end up in therapy, for being utterly confused.

Hatter

Dec 12, 2010
They said that its nothing against the kid, it's for the other kids. You know, its just a game and what not.
Whats the point of playing if you are going to loose? Other kids might not get to play because they just use that one kid.
It just makes sense to me. And hell, being too good is quite the compliment.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
My question is, how did the other children feel about his participation? Was it the teachers who thought it was unfair of him to do touchdowns, or the students?

EDIT: Both cases it is stupidity, but needless to say it still seems unfair to ban him from something that he is good at. Maybe that is why the Teachers are teachers, they weren't good at anything at all (That is really what I have been getting from the Education System lately). I know their are good teachers out there, but acting like a pansy about everything treating everything as unfair instead of natural is downright stupid.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Chase Yojimbo said:
My question is, how did the other children feel about his participation? Was it the teachers who thought it was unfair of him to do touchdowns, or the students?

EDIT: Both cases it is stupidity, but needless to say it still seems unfair to ban him from something that he is good at. Maybe that is why the Teachers are teachers, they weren't good at anything at all (That is really what I have been getting from the Education System lately). I know their are good teachers out there, but acting like a pansy about everything treating everything as unfair instead of natural is downright stupid.
Read the article, he is not banned from playing.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
SacremPyrobolum said:
Chase Yojimbo said:

I was referring for this year. I know he can go back Grd. 7. Still a dumb move though, and I support my cases still.

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
Chase Yojimbo said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
Chase Yojimbo said:

I was referring for this year. I know he can go back Grd. 7. Still a dumb move though, and I support my cases still.
He's not banned at all. He simply cannot score a touchdown if he has already scored three times and his team is fourteen points ahead. I'm assuming when the other team catches up, he can go back to scoring as normal.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
Being a video gamer (duh), and having been playing Bioshock on hard mode to get those last two achievements (hard finish + diaries,) I'm reminded of a line about Rapture. Specifically, "Where the great aren't constrained by the small."