Poll: Killzone 2's cover system

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
So, I've played through Killzone 2's single player campaign and I absolutely love the cover system, but I wanted to know what everyone at the escapist thinks of it.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
Clunky and inconvenient. It's the only way to quickly move in and out from cover, but unfortunately, you have to hold the L2 button in, and the PS3's 'triggers' suck and are not good for holding onto. Next, if you can see out, you can be shot, but moving away from the edge fixes this. Unfortunately, you can't duck down when hiding under the 'crouch' cover. Also unfortunate, you can't crouch when you're behind 'full height' cover. Next comes the fact pressing the reload button forces you to stand and reload when in cover, but when out of cover you're free to run around like crazy.

Also, when you pop up from a crouching-cover, your accuracy is that as if you're crouching, even though your character is standing to shoot over the cover.

Oh, and I can't blind fire. Even though everyone else can. Why not?

Arcyde

Nov 16, 2008
yes, i do

i find it very reallistic and fun. But i would of liked the ability to blindfire and crouch

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
DirkGently said:
Clunky and inconvenient. It's the only way to quickly move in and out from cover, but unfortunately, you have to hold the L2 button in, and the PS3's 'triggers' suck and are not good for holding onto. Next, if you can see out, you can be shot, but moving away from the edge fixes this. Unfortunately, you can't duck down when hiding under the 'crouch' cover. Also unfortunate, you can't crouch when you're behind 'full height' cover. Next comes the fact pressing the reload button forces you to stand and reload when in cover, but when out of cover you're free to run around like crazy.

Also, when you pop up from a crouching-cover, your accuracy is that as if you're crouching, even though your character is standing to shoot over the cover.

The only gripe I have with it is that you can't blindfire. The controls worked fine for me and while reloading while in cover is tricky at first, it became second nature after a while. You just have to let go of L1 and stop aiming, then reload.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
I find it works. It hasn't failed me yet in a situation where it shouldn't have.

DirkGently said:
Next comes the fact pressing the reload button forces you to stand and reload when in cover, but when out of cover you're free to run around like crazy.
This is news to me, I've never had my character stand when reloading while in cover.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
Eipok Kruden said:
DirkGently said:

The only gripe I have with it is that you can't blindfire. The controls worked fine for me and while reloading while in cover is tricky at first, it became second nature after a while. You just have to let go of L1 and stop aiming, then reload.
Not while popped out. Go back into, cover, press box, push stick deeper into cover. Nothing happens.

I did hate that you don't automatically start to reload if you're zoomed in an out of bullets. Found it sorta odd, seeing as how reloading is automatic in every other shooter there is.

Also, trophy for 'manual reloads'? Why? I just, ugh.
theSovietConnection said:
I find it works. It hasn't failed me yet in a situation where it shouldn't have.

DirkGently said:
Next comes the fact pressing the reload button forces you to stand and reload when in cover, but when out of cover you're free to run around like crazy.
This is news to me, I've never had my character stand when reloading while in cover.
Happens to me, all the time. Really frustrating. Maybe it's some kind of difficulty addon? I was playing on veteran.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
DirkGently said:
Eipok Kruden said:
DirkGently said:

Not while popped out. Go back into, cover, press box, push stick deeper into cover. Nothing happens.

I did hate that you don't automatically start to reload if you're zoomed in an out of bullets. Found it sorta odd, seeing as how reloading is automatic in every other shooter there is.

Also, trophy for 'manual reloads'? Why? I just, ugh.
theSovietConnection said:
I never had a problem with that. I just make sure I am safe behind cover before reloading or I detach myself from cover while I reload, it depends on the situation. As for the trophy for manual reloading, it didn't bother me. Actually, I rather liked the easy trophies in Killzone 2.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Eipok Kruden said:
So, I've played through Killzone 2's single player campaign and I absolutely love the cover system, but I wanted to know what everyone at the escapist thinks of it.
well in Gears of War if your in cover your safe

but in Killzone 2 if your in cover it means that the chance of you dying has decreased by

70 %

so in Killzone 2 it's more intense and frantic and realsitic and fun

so I Like it
thats my Opinion

and thats what count most since there is no fact that can say something about a game is good or bad

it's simply Opinion (I thought i might put this down to prevent some Arguments)

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
Eipok Kruden said:

but in Killzone 2 if your in cover it means that the chance of you dying has decreased by

70 %

so I Like it
thats my Opinion

and thats what count most since there is no fact that can say something about a game is good or bad

Yea, Killzone 2's cover system is more realistic and it makes the action more frantic and intense. With third person cover systems, the character can somehow magically see over and around cover without actually using his eyes, it's weird. Killzone 2 forces you to actually peak around and over cover to see what's going on. I prefer it to third person cover systems too :) And yea, like it or don't like it, it's just an opinion.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Eipok Kruden said:
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
Eipok Kruden said:

70 %

so I Like it
thats my Opinion

Yea, Killzone 2's cover system is more realistic and it makes the action more frantic and intense. With third person cover systems, the character can somehow magically see over and around cover without actually using his eyes, it's weird. Killzone 2 forces you to actually peak around and over cover to see what's going on. I prefer it to third person cover systems too :) And yea, like it or don't like it, it's just an opinion.
YAY for Agreement !!

oAmadeuso

Sep 7, 2008
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
Eipok Kruden said:
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
Eipok Kruden said:

70 %

so I Like it
thats my Opinion

YAY for Agreement !!
I like the cover system in KZ2
If you can see you can be shot is spot on for me, I didnt like the system of switching to 3rd person in Rainbow 6. If people can see round corners without risk they can line up their shot without risk and that spoils it for me.

I do wish you could go prone though. Seems unfair as the enemy can.

delta4062 said:
It works...but its completely useless sony only put it in to mask the horrible gunplay the game has
Hows it horrible? I am on my second play through and not had a problem with it.
And useless? You move to cover to avoid being hit so much. Works for me.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
I found it both useful and completely irrelevant, depending on the situation.

It was intuiative and worked really well, I quite liked the fact it was there, the problem is I was so used to other FPS games where you run around and take cover yourself that I found myself for the majority of the time playing in that style of game because I was so used to it and not utilising the cover system.

Other times though, it was dead useful. When you're shot to pieces it's great to be able to duck behind something and still see what's going on. I also quite liked the idea of lining an enemy up behind cover then pressing R1 to let him have it, that worked well. I just found that progressing the whole way using cover slowed the pace of the game down too much, and there were many situations where the Helghast came from all sides which negated the cover system completely and forced you to rely on the skills from other FPS's.

In short I liked having it there, it was useful sometimes and a good addition, and I would like to see more FPS's utilise it. But it wasn't gameplay changing, it was just useful.

oAmadeuso

Sep 7, 2008
delta4062 said:
shadow skill said:
Delta it's called recoil.
no its not my gun can be jumping back and forth and itd still hit my target just because it looks like recoil doesnt mean it IS recoil
The longer you fire the wider the area shots can land. The cross hairs get wider over time to indicate this.
It's a pretty standard gaming mechanic for simulating recoil....

You seem not to like this game because you cannot just point / click / kill like other FPS like counter strike.
They've just tried to get some realism into the game, if this is not for you then thats your taste.

If you can finish this game on the harder settings without using cover then you are either ducking around corners constantly or the aiming system is nowhere near as bad as you claim.

SteinFaust

Jun 30, 2008
i don't like it. Sevchenko always sticks to the wrong surface if there is more than one viable piece of cover. my only problem was that the AI could blindfire. i don't want to do it, and i don't think they should be able to.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
SteinFaust said:
i don't like it. Sevchenko always sticks to the wrong surface if there is more than one viable piece of cover. my only problem was that the AI could blindfire. i don't want to do it, and i don't think they should be able to.
Really? I just turned off my PS3 about 30 minutes ago after playing through nearly half the campaign on veteran and I've never once accidentally attached myself to the wrong piece of cover. The cover system always works and it is absolutely essential on Veteran. I don't get what people are having issues with, it works fine for me every time.

EDIT: I should mention that I've already beaten the campaign on normal, I was just playing Veteran to see what changes from Trooper to Veteran.