Poll: Kratos VS Ganondorf

Parasitic_Chick

Dec 5, 2013
It was really slow at work so my co-worker and I started debating about random battles between fictional characters. Eventually we ended up on the subject of Kratos versus Ganondorf.

Both characters are known for their strength and overall bad-assery (yes that's a word) so it was interesting to think about. But in the long run I think Kratos would definitely win as he has extensive experience killing many strong characters in many horrible ways.

That's not to say Ganodorf isn't tough but he does have bad habit of getting beat a very...um... not so masculine character. Ganondorf is intense but I doubt he would ever rip the live head off a god.
Anyway, what do you think?

(Also I realize this actually was probably already posted once before but I thought it might be fun to ask anyway. So please forgive the lack of creativity.)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Let me take you through an average day in the life of Kratos.

Slay Medusa (like a boss)
And her sister (like a boss)
Escape Hades (like a boss)
Kill the God of War (like a boss)
Find Atlantis (like a boss)
Kill Death itself (like a boss)
Get stabbed in the chest (like a boss)
Escape Hades again (like a boss)
Travel back in time (like a boss)
Change his own fate (like a boss)
Ride a Titan (like a boss)
Slay Poseidon (like a boss)
Escape Hades again (like a boss)
Kill a Titan (like a boss)
Solve the Labyrinth (like a boss)
Kill another god (like a boss)
And another (like a boss)
And the last one (like a boss)

Meanwhile, Ganon gets owned by some punk in every game he appears.

Kratos wins.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, I would say Kratos since he actually achieved his goals, no matter how juvenile they might've been. While Ganon loses in every game he's in (apart from Smash). So I assume a fight between the two would end with Ganon going 'Oh well, it's the end of the game - guess it's time for me to lose. See ya next time!'

But then Ganon is part of a franchise that will certainly last longer than God of War, so he'll just keep coming back. Obviously losing each fucking entry, but you just can't get rid of the guy cuz Triforce destiny or whatever.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Sure I haven't played God of War but I can assume fighting and killing several gods is a tought feat alone and the only God like being that Ganondort had killed was that Light Sage in Twilight Princess?

So yeah I'm going with Kratos.

Well ok wasn't it those light weapons that can only harm Ganondorf but I sure that Ganon will still get a beating of his lifetime in Kratos hands or blade for that matter.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Ganondorf would be a steaming pile of ashes in about ten seconds. Kratos has killed gods... Ganondorf has been defeated by a twelve year old boy. There is no competition here.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I will have to say Ganondorf, unless Kratos has the right weapons that can effect his magical spirit armour (whatever the hell it's called). Link sometimes required special weapons to take him down don't forget. Also I feel some of you are underestimating Links skills, and he did obtain items that increased his strength above normal as well as his bullshit magical powers.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
I thought versus threads weren't allowed.

Eh. I'd say Ganondorf, mainly because I don't froth over how lame Kratos is and how many times he died. Sure, when we play Link 'dorf loses, but there's entire timelines where he won and shit when bad.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Chaos Isaac said:
That's what I was going to say. :p

But as the thread hasn't been locked yet, I'll simply point out that Ganon can only be vanquished by the Master Sword, which Kratos does not wield.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
If Ganondorf is not immune to weaponry other than the Master Sword, Light/Silver Arrows, then I would go with Kratos easily. In the long term however, we all know Ganondorf most likely will get revived, or reincarnated, so he might win by default a few hundred years after their battle. :p

So basically, as long as Kratos does not need holy weapons to beat Ganondorf, he would win without too much trouble.

Privateatkky

Feb 4, 2015
As strong as Kratos is, Ganondorf only loses because he's a villain. After the sword fight with Ganondorf in Twilight Princess it's safe to say he's a straight out beast. Not to mention his strength in Super Smash Bros. (If that counts).

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Look up the Cronos boss fight from GoW III on Youtube. Kratos has the strength to stop the palm of a creature the size of the Empire State building. What's Ganondorf going to do about that? Hell, Kratos seems to be so powerful he can't be killed even by himself!

RJ 17 said:
Chaos Isaac said:

But as the thread hasn't been locked yet, I'll simply point out that Ganon can only be vanquished by the Master Sword, which Kratos does not wield.
*in Gaia's narration voice*: "One roundtrip to Hyrule and a set of gore-splattered green clothes later Kratos found himself in possession of a new powerful weapon!"

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
bartholen said:
Look up the Cronos boss fight from GoW III on Youtube. Kratos has the strength to stop the palm of a creature the size of the Empire State building. What's Ganondorf going to do about that? Hell, Kratos seems to be so powerful he can't be killed even by himself!

RJ 17 said:
Chaos Isaac said:

*in Gaia's narration voice*: "One roundtrip to Hyrule and a set of gore-splattered green clothes later Kratos found himself in possession of a new powerful weapon!"
Assuming Kratos wouldn't lose his hand by picking up the sword, he's just as if more more evil then Ganondorf after all.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
bartholen said:
RJ 17 said:
Chaos Isaac said:

Which is about as useful to him as a toothpick seeing as how it's true power can only be wielded by the Hero of Time...which Kratos is not. :p

Edit: *points to the post above this one* There's also that. :p

MetalShadowChaos

Feb 3, 2014
I'd put bets on Ganondorf. It's kind of Villain Syndrome that we only ever see him lose because we're the ones beating him, he also has a habit of not dieing. Think of how long it actually took to KILL Ganondorf himself, meaning his 'main' incarnation. From OOT, he's defeated at the end of Adult Link's time, where he COMES BACK FROM THE DEAD, and SUCCESSFULLY conquers all of Hyrule, essentially forcing the King to Self Destruct the whole place by flooding it. Whereupon he proceeds to STILL not die, and lasts a good few decades before the new Hero of Time is reborn to deal a killing blow. Twilight Princess Timeline, trapped in the Twilight realm he IMMEDIATELY conquers the WHOLE THING with his powers WEAKENED, only being beaten again, as in the Wind Waker timeline, by Link and Zelda, wielder of a Superweapon and a literal GODDESS. And this isn't accounting for when he goes MENTAL. The Link to the Past Arc.

There exists an entire arc devoted to him KILLING the Hero of Time. Which proves that even WITH a superweapon he still CAN win. Also, in this timeline, HE IS NEVER KILLED. The last game in that timeline is Zelda 2, where he is STILL NOT DEAD BY THE END.

So, probably a close fight between Ganondorf and Kratos, but it gets a bit one sided when he becomes GANON.

#IStandWithGanondorf

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Chaos Isaac said:

Eh. I'd say Ganondorf, mainly because I don't froth over how lame Kratos is and how many times he died.
Kratos has died in pretty much every game he's been, and then walked out of Hades like it was no big thing (killing Hades and Death themselves along the way).

Jan 18, 2012
Gannondorf wins this fight for several reasons

1.) The Triforce of Power makes him IMMORTAL!! This was demonstrated in Twilight Princess when the sages failed to kill him in the flashback

2.) The only weapons that can kill, or even hurt him, are the Master Sword and the Light/Silver arrows. Now you're thinking "well, Kratos could just go find them and use them in the fight" However

3.) Those weapons can only be used by a worth hero. Kratos stopped being a hero shortly after he took Ares's throne. With how villainous he became in GOW 2 and 3, the Master Sword would hurt, or even kill, him if he touched it.

4.) Without a weakness to exploit and combined with Gannondorf's vast magical powers (which are enhanced thanks to the Triforce of Power) than Gannondorf would be easily able to outlast Kratos and blast him into ashes.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
MetalShadowChaos said:
I'd put bets on Ganondorf. It's kind of Villain Syndrome that we only ever see him lose because we're the ones beating him, he also has a habit of not dieing. Think of how long it actually took to KILL Ganondorf himself, meaning his 'main' incarnation. From OOT, he's defeated at the end of Adult Link's time, where he COMES BACK FROM THE DEAD, and SUCCESSFULLY conquers all of Hyrule, essentially forcing the King to Self Destruct the whole place by flooding it. Whereupon he proceeds to STILL not die, and lasts a good few decades before the new Hero of Time is reborn to deal a killing blow. Twilight Princess Timeline, trapped in the Twilight realm he IMMEDIATELY conquers the WHOLE THING with his powers WEAKENED, only being beaten again, as in the Wind Waker timeline, by Link and Zelda, wielder of a Superweapon and a literal GODDESS. And this isn't accounting for when he goes MENTAL. The Link to the Past Arc.

There exists an entire arc devoted to him KILLING the Hero of Time. Which proves that even WITH a superweapon he still CAN win. Also, in this timeline, HE IS NEVER KILLED. The last game in that timeline is Zelda 2, where he is STILL NOT DEAD BY THE END.

So, probably a close fight between Ganondorf and Kratos, but it gets a bit one sided when he becomes GANON.

#IStandWithGanondorf
To that I can only say: GREAT SCOTT!

Jan 18, 2012
inu-kun said:
Legomaniac91 said:
Gannondorf wins this fight for several reasons

1.) The Triforce of Power makes him IMMORTAL!! This was demonstrated in Twilight Princess when the sages failed to kill him in the flashback

2.) The only weapons that can kill, or even hurt him, are the Master Sword and the Light/Silver arrows. Now you're thinking "well, Kratos could just go find them and use them in the fight" However

3.) Those weapons can only be used by a worth hero. Kratos stopped being a hero shortly after he took Ares's throne. With how villainous he became in GOW 2 and 3, the Master Sword would hurt, or even kill, him if he touched it.

4.) Without a weakness to exploit and combined with Gannondorf's vast magical powers (which are enhanced thanks to the Triforce of Power) than Gannondorf would be easily able to outlast Kratos and blast him into ashes.
Actually you raise a pretty good point, villains who can only be hurt by certain weapons are immortal outside their universe, though in OOT link can hurt ganon with some of his weapons (but can only land the final blow with the MS), and the MS was made by gods, so it might generally be "any divine weapon", so you only need green titanite shards for it.
I don't know what "titanite shards" are, but I don't think they'd work. According the the Zelda Wiki "the only one capable of defeating Ganon is the Hero chosen by the goddesses." As mentioned above, there is no way Din, Nayru, and Farore would ever find Kratos worthy. In addition, Ganondorf is also the manifestation of the hatred of the Demon King Demise towards the goddess Hylia (Zelda) and her chosen hero (Link). Because of this, as long as Link and Zelda are reincarnated, Gannondorf will be as well. Here is his Wiki page if you, or anyone else, want more info: http://zeldawiki.org/Ganon