Poll: Lack of basic mathmatical skills

CentralScrtnzr

May 2, 2011
This thread is made by one that knows hardly how mathematics is employed in the real world. I will not participate in this ridiculous poll.

I love the implication that engineers are more competent mathematicians than scientists, when the opposite is naturally and categorically the case.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
T0ad 0f Truth said:
The highest level of math I've had is calculus so I'm confident in my basic math skills (cue horrendously stupid math mistake in 5...)

I think the problem is the way they teach math. No one trys to explain what's being done on any deeper level and if you don't just naturally see it then you're fucked. I remember my friend being confused as hell when we were going over soh cah toa in algebra. I spent like ten minutes explaining the basis of it (trig) being the unit circle and it immediatly clicked for him. Took me ten minutes what the shit teacher couldn't do in an hour, simply 'cause they didn't bother to explain the "philosophy" of what was being done.

I'm not even all that great at math. I'm pretty sure Calc is the limit (ha!) of my math skills.
This is pretty much how I managed to muddle my way through high school maths - lots of boredom, zero attention, and reasonably intelligent improvising. I'm quite capable of understanding mathemathics/physics when I put my mind to it; it's just that I find it boring as hell.

Interestingly enough I'm still familiar with things as probability, algebra, and whatnot, but my ability to do basic subtractions and additions is almost non-existent - and calculators are to blame for that. Or thank.

JochemHippie said:
Oh and how many beers I can still buy judging the weight off my wallet.
A life skill which importance truly can't be judged too highly.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
CentralScrtnzr said:
This thread is made by one that knows hardly how mathematics is employed in the real world. I will not participate in this ridiculous poll.

I love the implication that engineers are more competent mathematicians than scientists, when the opposite is naturally and categorically the case.
No.

As in, no, it's not the case.

I have an engineering degree, and I now work in science. Most of the scientists that I work with dislike maths and avoid it wherever possible; most of the engineers that I know have an instinctive affinity for maths sets them apart from the rest of the population. I'm not talking about how well they'd do in a high-school maths test, but rather how to use maths as a tool.

Engineers are not superhuman, or even necessarily brilliant, and despite the internet memes they do not know everything. But they're pretty damn good at using maths.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
Kaleion said:
Well I'm studying Math and would like to be a Mathematician or a Physicist, because I find Math fun, I don't know why but it entertains me a lot and even when it's frustrating I feel really good when I solve a problem, but sadly I'm not very good at it, but I think that if I keep practising I'll eventually get good at it, I got discouraged from trying before when I took the stupid IQ test and it said that my IQ was below average, but I have decided that IQ is irrelevant and I can do anything I want.

Damn the captcha says "Pipe Dream", I'm pretty sure it's mocking me.
[sub]Obviously my answer it's pretty important.[/sub]
Do Pure Maths, there's no such thing as Physical limitations getting in your way and making things complicated like in Physics.

mikespoff said:
CentralScrtnzr said:

No.

As in, no, it's not the case.

I have an engineering degree, and I now work in science. Most of the scientists that I work with dislike maths and avoid it wherever possible; most of the engineers that I know have an instinctive affinity for maths sets them apart from the rest of the population. I'm not talking about how well they'd do in a high-school maths test, but rather how to use maths as a tool.

Engineers are not superhuman, or even necessarily brilliant, and despite the internet memes they do not know everything. But they're pretty damn good at using maths.
It depends on the person and the context. They may dislike maths but they actually use it without realizing, esp algebraic concepts and Bayesian statistics. If someone says they dislike maths they seem to mean they hate solving purely mathematical problems rather than maths itself. I don't really blame them IMO, I learnt Linear and Modern Algebra in the context of Computational Geometry so it was less boring.

A good example is CompSci. A lot of CompSci people I know dislike maths, but use rather complex Algebra, the Lambda Calculus and Formal Language theory almost instinctively.

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
BlazeRaider said:
I was taught BEDMAS, Brackets, Exponents, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction.

I have no idea what heresy you guys are all talking about.
Yeah, I was taught BEDMAS too. All the same thing, though. D and M are interchangeable.

To me, Math is pretty important. I'm doing my grade 11 year in high school and currently doing calculus (I'm in the accelerated math program). I'm also taking a bunch of science classes since I plan on being a biomedical engineer. As for the mathematical illiteracy of people today... it's not news to me: a lot of people are idiots.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
I really don't like math that much, bu that comes from most of my math teachers being crap...

and it's been killin mah buddies.

Panda Mania

Jul 1, 2009
Math and my brain don't mix. I've never liked it, and have always had to work hard to be do it well. Pre-cal in high school was torture for me. Luckily I'm now in college and, as an English major, can hopefully manage to avoid math classes for the rest of my time here. There's a little bit of basic math in Personal Finance, but calculators do all the work, so... ^^

I know, I know--yet another person who hates math. Let me just say that I have tremendous respect for people who love and are skilled at math (and science, for that matter). In fact, I'm a bit jealous; they will go on to useful, respected jobs and careers like engineering and scientific research...what can I do with an English major except teach? :( So, a cheer for all you math whizzes out there! You keep our world spinning with the numbers and the science behind our everyday activities. :D Keep on being awesome.