Poll: Language

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
I'm not entirely sure how fluent one has to be to say you "speak" a language, so I chose the poll option for "two". Dutch (it being my first language), and English (which I write well, but pronounce badly).

Other than that I'm able to understand written German, French, and Latin. Sort of.

Oh, and as that delightful Facebook option used to state: I speak Sarcasm. Fluently.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
I can speak Finnish (native), English (fluent) and Swedish (okay). I took a few introductory Russian courses in school, but I never got very far. I can read the cyrillic alphabet and I understand a few words here and there, but that's about it.

Swedish and English are mandatory in Finnish schools, so it's nothing special to be able to speak three languages. Although, Swedish isn't spoken in the part of Finland I live in, so around here a lot of people have forgotten everything they learned in school.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
I speak Finnish and English no problem. So I clicked 2. But I can introduce myself, talk about very simple things very simply and tell them I can't speak their language in Swedish and French. So I guess I could click 4.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Llil said:
I can speak Finnish (native), English (fluent) and Swedish (okay). I took a few introductory Russian courses in school, but I never got very far. I can read the cyrillic alphabet and I understand a few words here and there, but that's about it.

Swedish and English are mandatory in Finnish schools, so it's nothing special to be able to speak three languages. Although, Swedish isn't spoken in the part of Finland I live in, so around here a lot of people have forgotten everything they learned in school.
Bah, swedish. Humbug. ^_^

Ei eteläsuomessa mitään ruotsia tarvi (onneksi). :p

JLML

Feb 18, 2010
Fully fluent in English and Swedish (I'm from Sweden), know (barely) enough French to survive on it, not quite enough to have a polite conversation but enough to find directions, buy stuff and all that. I'm also thinking about learning German this summer, and in the future I'd like to learn Japanese, Chinese, Russian and so on. I like languages, I guess you could say. ^^

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
Vkmies said:
Llil said:

Bah, swedish. Humbug. ^_^

Ei eteläsuomessa mitään ruotsia tarvi (onneksi). :p
Hey, you never know when you might need it. At least that's what they kept saying to us in school.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Do fictional languages count? If so then I know quite a bit of Goa'uld (not fluent), Skyrim Dhovatongue, and I can read Dwarvish Runes (LotR). Not that they ever get much use of course.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
Finnish(native)
English(fluent)
Swedish(decent)
German(decent)

I also know a litttle bit of Spanish and Italian, but not enough to really say anything smart.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Well, my nationality is Maltese (first of the thread so far, yay) so my mother tongue is, you guessed it, Maltese.
However, I'm not very good at it. I can hold a conversation, but nothing complex.
My 'main' language is, obviously, English.
So, I guess two languages is the appropriate option.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I know 2,5 languages.
Lithuanian, my mother tongue.
English, my favourite language.
Some German, studied at school.
Minute amount of polish, had to learn to stay alive in games ruled by polish idiots. (not that polish are idiots, the idiots in that game happen to be polish)

In my opinion everyone in the world should know a single language that they can all communicate with. It does not matter if its french, english, chineese or whatever. As long as everyone know it. English is the most popular at the moment.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Swedish is my mother tongue and I also speak English fluently. Studied Spanish for four years, but not much stuck with me after I quit since you don't get many opportunities to practise it.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Tough question to answer.
I speak Norwegian, English and a little bit French.
However, since I speak Norwegian, I understand and speak both Danish and Swedish fairly well.

Nupu

Nov 6, 2010
Well since I am from Finland I speak Finnish as my native language. Swedish as secondary and god know's how bad I am at it. English as the language I use every day on the internet, and also I know a bit of French. Also I can understand few words of German thanks to my friend always annoying me with it.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
A few... I speak English and Cantonese (native), Japanese (fluent), French and German (both conversational, though that's still stretching it). And I can understand Italian if you speak it veeeeeeeeeeeeeery slowly.

Commonly Confused

Jan 30, 2012
I speak English and French fluently.
I have seven years of self-taught experience in Japanese as well as two in uni (surprisingly, I only had to unlearn a few things).
I began learning Russian two years ago.
Would love to learn Arabic and Irish but from what I can see, the United States (or at least my state) is the absolute worst place to have those ambitions.

Philol

Nov 7, 2011
Just one, English. I did study French for three years at the start of secondary school, but I stopped when I got to choose my GCSE's as a secondary language never interested me in the first place.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I speak English fluently, but I can't speak anything else. I can normally figure out what something written in French means, and know very rudimentary Spanish, but that's it.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Fluent English, and reasonably passable kinda-sorta okay Chinese (Mandarin). I can say a few things in French.