Poll: LARPing - Would you do it ?

PuffTheMagicDragon

Jun 4, 2009
I personally have always wanted to be a strong, fierce warrior in the middle ages (and i aint kiddin) and really felt right with using/holding heavy blunt weapons such as a mace for example...

Aside that, the question is: Would you LARP (Live Action Role Play) if you were given the chance to do so?

Asciotes

Jul 24, 2009
It could be fun I think. And why would you only do it with friends? It could be a way to meet new friends I suppose.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Nah... I probably wouldn't feel comfortable doing so. And if I don't feel comfortable doing it then there's no point to doing it.

Iesion

Jul 14, 2009
I have LARPed, my girlfriend LARPs, I will LARP more, just for the satisfaction of hitting people.
Primal Urges Rule.

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
Why not. I would prefer to do it with friends though.

Oh and if its to the extent that "Lightning Bolt" was...I think I would take a rain check

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
No.

Well, technically, every time I ever ran around playing a game as a kid I was LARPing but it was unoffical and there were no governing rules. Plus, I feel little need to pretend to be able to use a sword when I can just go and actually fence.

PuffTheMagicDragon

Jun 4, 2009
Iesion said:
I have LARPed, my girlfriend LARPs, I will LARP more, just for the satisfaction of hitting people.
Primal Urges Rule.
Sure, primal urges.. but i can guess its a good way to let off some steam ^^

Ridonculous_Ninja

Apr 15, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Only if I get a real bow.
I'm so not LARPing with you...

OT: Ya I would try it.

I already have the title of super nerd wierd guy, so nobody could possibly think worse of me for doing it!

Plus we do weapons sparring in Karate with padded sticks so LARPing would be pretty close to that.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Only with real weapons and armor. And real people I can use them on.

Foam is for sissies.

Anyone up for a game of real-world Hexen?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Depends on the LARP. I wouldn't do Vampire: The Masquerade, but sign me up for any Mage: The Ascension session (or Mummy or Werewolf). <url=http://silverspoonandpaperplate.com/ww.html>Apparently, they can get pretty funny.

D&D...maybe.

Crapster

Aug 6, 2009
No. There was a time when I would have eagerly taken up a foam blade, but right now I really can't imagine myself doing that...

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
I actually LARP'd from ages 8-12 almost every time I went to my friends house cause his mom baby sat me and my siblings.
Including me, my sister, him and his brother, we had four people to play the game with. and it was the SAME game for four years. In later years both our younger brothers would join.

We actually managed to get from cave-man style technology to intergalactic space wars in the space of those four happy years.

We didn't know it was LARPing at the time but it was a lot of fun.

initialdelay

Sep 29, 2009
I saw Role Models

OT: No. My real life is boring, videogames are fun, and the two halves of fun, and real life, rarely meet each other. Plus I'd be a leetle self-concious I reckon

But...shut up inner me

Redtiebear

May 29, 2008
I have a friend who LARPs regularly for a New England (she's in Massachusetts for this, at least) thing they have going on simply called "Realms", and I have to say, waaaaaay too nerdy for me. Now, believe me, I have a decent library of fantasy novels, been to many, many conventions, work at GameStop if only to afford my RPGs and Warcrafts, but honestly? LARPing? I guess it's a nice way to get exercise, but I couldn't take it seriously. Such as these get-togethers for special story "events" and I remember this one "festival" they have where it's like a huge bonfire, and they cast "love spells" or some...stuff. And girls have the option for taking their tops off. Sounds like a cheap way to get eye candy (if they're attractive, at least).

I don't know. Most of the events devolve into what seems comedic happenings, but I think that's the problem for me - all the heroic drama is sucked out of it by looking at a strong, fierce, mystic warrior, but then again, it's just that pasty, stick-like kid named Justin who's still struggling with his acne. Just can't do it. I study martial arts instead. Why? Because I get exercise, AND practical application, which just might be another issue I have with this - feels like a waste of time. At least videogames lend drama, a soundtrack, and a world to look at while you quest through it.

So I'm sorry, my good friend in MA, for the last time, I will never LARP with you. I may be a nerd, but I'm going to have to hang up my last shred of dignity if I'm ever to create a character and run around in a green cape with you.

....No offense to people named "Justin". I'm sure they're quite a lovely, rational people.