Poll: LARPing - Would you do it ?

PuffTheMagicDragon

Jun 4, 2009
Well... to me when i said in my first post... Imagine a barbarian from Diablo II... put dual bonesnap, even though you can only hold 1 2-handed mace in D2 (would love to insert a pic of the mace to show you lot.... but i dont know how :p

Rawker

Jun 24, 2009
haven't we all LARPed at some point in our childhood? come on, you can't say you've never played pretend.

Griphphin

Jul 4, 2009
I remember back when I was young (like, 8 I think), we'd LARP Diablo whenever we were bored and someone threw the suggestion out there. Good times back then.

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
I was part of a LARP group once upon a time for the span of about two days... and this is the first time in 9 years I've openly admitted that, so what does that tell you?

I don't mind roleplay, but bringing mass pantomime into it just feels... insubstantial, a sort of "game design by committee".

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
Yes I do. It's called Airsoft.

You get with a whole bunch of people and play the role of actual soldiers.

masher

Jul 20, 2009
Yeah..heh heh heh. My friends do it minus the Role-Playing. It's either called "Airsoft", "Paintball", or "Taking cheep replications of melee weapons and whacking eachother".

The latter one is the closest we would get to actual LARPing.

Ultra_Caboose

Aug 25, 2008
Samurai Goomba said:
Only with real weapons and armor. And real people I can use them on.

Foam is for sissies.

Anyone up for a game of real-world Hexen?
Now now, that's not LARP-ing. That's murder. :D

I would probably try LARP-ing at least once. I like acting like a goofy asshole anyway, might as well do it in character.

GHMonkey

Aug 11, 2009
meh, to each his own. not my cup of tea. all i know is that i am more than content with my plumbing, hot water, video games, and internet. oh yeah, not to mention some semblence of law

Gruthar

Mar 27, 2009
I don't think I would LARP. While smacking people with foam sounds fun, I'm pretty self-conscious when role-playing. I tried D&D, and that's about all I could take.

Suiseiseki IRL said:
Yes I do. It's called Airsoft.

You get with a whole bunch of people and play the role of actual soldiers.
I used to airsoft as well. Unfortunately, running around parks and washes with realistic-looking guns got the cops called on us several times. Plus I think I would need to buy a less-potent close range weapon to use if I ever got back into it again. The last game I played, I left some pretty nasty welts on a couple of people. I still feel bad about it. :/

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Nope, I'd be waaaaay too embarrassed. It's just way too nerdy and pointless to dress up and hit my mates with a plastic sword when we could just wrestle or have a punch-up.

Vimbert

Aug 15, 2009
Already being a D&D nerd, I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch to do this.

Bobkat1252

The Psychotic Psyker
Mar 18, 2008
I've do it every other week with the tabletop gaming club at my school. It feels awkward at first but once you get accustomed to it, it can be boatloads of fun.

Pifflestick

Jun 10, 2008
I once LARPed with someone. We were playing "You Owe Me Money B****". Didn't see them again for a couple weeks cause I used a real bat. JK.

Back on topic though, yes I would LARP as long as I could roleplay as someone I would actually want to be. Barbarian from a relativly unknown southern kingdom? Okay. Lameass knight in some douchebags court? Not so much. If I roleplay I want to be more of the mercenary type rather than some subserviant punching bag.