Poll: LARPing - Would you do it ?

Kontar

Jan 18, 2008
Well, there was a time my friends and I bought a few practice swords from the local renaissance festival, they were metal swords not wood, and had some fun (but we all agreed to no hits above the neck or below the waist), and I will be honest, it fucking sucked.

Swinging chunks of metal at each other, we hit each other bad, my best friend went to the hospital for a broken forearm, it was frightening whenever each one of us got an upper hand over the others and had a chance to strike, luckily in most cases we held back except that one.

To be honest the most fun I have had with "beating up my friends with medieval weaponry" either happened in an RPG online or the local D&D game I have played a few times.

Swinging hunks of metal at anyone sounds incredibly terrifying in my opinion. And I would know, I tried it a few times.

kahlzun

Sep 9, 2009
DOn'
PuffTheMagicDragon said:
and really felt right with using/holding heavy blunt weapons such as a mace for example...
Don't LARPs make a big deal out of "No Weapons, no replica weapons, no fighting, no physical combat"

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
PuffTheMagicDragon said:
I personally have always wanted to be a strong, fierce warrior in the middle ages
Sorry but I lol'd

No OP, never. I find it pretty foolish.

Now full metal combat and reenactments, hell. yes.

Ben Jamin

Apr 15, 2009
Maybe. And ONLY with a mask on. And a voice changer. Also something to make me look taller.
So pretty much only if i could be no way affiliated with said LARPing.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
If there was enough sizable and consistent events nearby, yeah probably. If I had money to buy gear definitely.

Problem is there isn't really a strong LARP presence in Australia and my state.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Why LARP when you can just learn how to fence or whatever?

ERadical

Aug 30, 2009
Hmmm i'd only do it to take the piss out of it and it would have to be done with a mate or seven

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
Probably, but only to create ultimate chaos and slay everyone! MWUAHAHAHAHA!!!

Feb 13, 2008
PuffTheMagicDragon said:
Aside that, the question is: Would you LARP (Live Action Role Play) if you were given the chance to do so?
Have done it often, thoroughly enjoyed it, is not so weird as a lot of people think.

Let's face it, you've all dressed up to have interviews or weddings. Now you can hit someone as well! :)

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I think that it'd be a lot of fun with some friends, and only for shits & giggles. The 'LARP is serious business' crowd is a little too weird for me. As for 'genres', anything would be fun I guess. Fantasy, real-life events (Civil War, WW2, etc), comic books, sci-fi, anything sounds fun to LARP to me.

Seanchaidh said:
Why LARP when you can just learn how to fence or whatever?
No no, first learn how to fence, thén LARP and beat everyone with your Master Swordsman skills.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Probably something less physical, only cause Im small and not very intimidating that way. If anyone, Id probably want to be someone like a certain character I made in DnD once, but he was big, manly, and cool, 3 things Im not.