Poll: LARPing - Would you do it ?

Aunel

May 9, 2008
Godavari said:
Dude... YES.
I'm'a go get my 10-ft foam sword and pwn all your asses!
that was my idea!
just go Final Fantasy on their arse!
or just mix up sci-fi with swords, and bring a bb gun...

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I would only do it if we could recreate ancient battles. That would kick ass!

Miles Tormani

Jul 30, 2008
I've been to an organized LARP once (after that weekend, I had trouble remembering my name for a few days), messed around with foam weapons at the Renaissance Faire (300 reenactment was okay), then subsequently bought the foam weapons from the place selling them at the Ren Faire and use them for a small LARP with a few of my friends.

So, yeah. I love the shit.

Also, I personally consider airsoft and paintball to be LARPing, though I haven't done either firsthand. I do want to try, but money gets in the way.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Assassinator said:
Pegghead said:
And even under that, it would have to be something much cooler than the wishy washy old universe of medieval fantasy and everything Tolkien ever wrote, like some kind of steampunk universe, where colonies were established in space sometime in the 19th century, and the ways of scitech were at constant war with those of the cult of Skra the lifegiver. There were various sub factions of the two ultimate bodies, like the rough tough riders of the steamship core who could always use their skills at the helm and with old world calibar firearms to evade any sticky situation, the priests of ailment, conflicted with many a curse from the higher ones, though deformed, they were the highest practicers of filthy magic. Many classes to pick from such as a photon gunslinger, a Skra wizard, a...hold on I'm gonna start writing this stuff down.
... I think you just made me nerdgasm good sir. As long as there is some engineering class to choose from, I'm in! And of course I demand female colleagues/assistances in smexy Victorian dresses and grease on their faces, hmmmm...corsets.... *shakes head* Look at what you're doing to me with that brilliant idea of yours!
Yes yes yes! They'd have to have some sort of cool looking engineering goggles, and being women in a steampunk fantasy game, they'd definitely have to have very big juicy amazingly wonderful...

GUNS! Wait, what were you expecting to find?

NimbleJack3

Apr 14, 2009
Avykins said:
No. I have too much self respect to do that sort of shit. What's next? Strapping on some elf ears and going to a trekkie convention? You may as well hand in your penis at the door since you will never need it.
Besides, 99.3% of larpers look like absolute shit.
Star Trek has no elves. If you went as an elf to a Trekkers convention, you would be laughed at. By Star Trek fans. Star Trek has Vulcans instead.

I'm a person who reads the Star Trek Tabletop Roleplaying Game Core Book for fun. It's not bad, actually.

And yes. I would LARP. Enthusiastically.

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Been there. Done that.

Whether it's good depends how it's run and who plays.

If it's all about the two guys none of the monsters can touch because they forked out £200 each for seven-foot swords and the people running it let them cheat and they're ****holes ... it sucks.

If it's imaginative, varied, free-style but well-refereed, safe without coddling and subtly engineered to let everyone have something to do ... it can be great!

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Also, for the curious, Geebas On Parade [http://geebasonparade.keenspot.com/] starts here [http://geebasonparade.keenspot.com/d/20020522.html] and is all about LARP.

TheMatt

Jan 26, 2009
absolutely...

That'd be fun as hell. Though they would have to let me play drunk. Otherwise it's a no go.

MiserableOldGit

Apr 1, 2009
I'd rather go paintballing- the toys are more fun and you don't have some speccy spod chucking tennis balls at you while shouting "fire damage" in a thin reedy voice.

Then, of course, there's tank paintballing- I shit you not...

http://www.highstreetvouchers.com/gift-vouchers/displayproduct?itemCode=VTPO&sen=google&link=7&id=405540&gclid=CIKEqrP2yZ0CFZoU4wodW2zFrw

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
ansem1532 said:
You can use a real bow, just padded arrows are necessary.

..stupid safety rules.
Okay, but I'm coating the padding in anthrax.
Haha, he's role playing!

He is only pretending to die.