Poll: Left 4 Dead: Evil AI Director

Chiefmon

Dec 26, 2008
When you played Left 4 Dead, have you ever been screwed over by the AI director or do you think he is way too merciful? Please list your run-in's with his wrath.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
The AI Director is Satan, although sometimes Satan can let you pass through a level without trouble, and then send in three consecutive hordes and a tank for shits and giggles. It needs to be a bit more consistent in his rape-age, or its mercy.

I remember I was the last one alive on the No Mercy Finale, below 30 health and slowly dying. I had outran two tanks on my own, killed three pouncing hunters, and dispatched a horde with a well-placed molotov. A few seconds before the helicopter arrived, I decided to use my health pack in an isolated corner, while listening for any gurgling sounds from a hunter/smoker/boomer. Then out of fucking nowhere, a hunter lands on me and rips me to shreds.

I could hear the AI Director laughing all the way from Hell.

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
The AI director is an evil asshole when you're on Advanced or Expert. This one time we had made it to the helicopter, after having just killed what we thought was the final tank. I jumped in, the next guy jumped in, a tank punched us both out. We all ragequit in the same second.

hagaya

Sep 1, 2008
the crane, Dead Air, Advanced. In the office building. First floor, witch. Nothing out of the ordinary. Second and third floors? Witches on both. Then, right in front of one Safe-Room Door, another. Next leg, an impassible witch, me being the only one alive. Basically; it kept things interesting.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
The AI director is really random to me, I mostly stick to versus mode and I've had cases where the opposing team gets gifted with like infinite supplies of Molotovs and health packs but when my team ran through we got maybe 1 pipe and 1 moly.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
I hate when he conjures a tank in the middle of a very small room with a very exit door AND everyone in your team panics!!

And trying to leave the said room, they keep opening and closing the damn door...and then we get pwnd.

Thediscoducky

Apr 17, 2008
It leaves to be desired honestly.
I can easily beat campaign co-op on Expert with a 3 other buddies. It is a hell-load of fun when he's just merciless and sends out two huge hoards followed by tanks and special zombies.

Chiefmon

Dec 26, 2008
Mrsnugglesworth said:
Eh.
Experts really easy with 4 people who talk to each other.
yeah, assuming you all are skilled and will listen to each other. I didn't make this topic for people to boast.

KosherGreenBean

Mar 31, 2009
When I play single player, the AI is FREAKING INCOMPETENT. I was being consctricted off the side of a building, and I swear the three of them just stood there and watched me die.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
I think he could be made a bit better, how about making an Insane difficulty where hordes consist of 100 or 200 zombies, that would be cool. That was also what i expected of left 4 dead. Or they could make a new gamemode where four players make a standoff against infinite numbers of increasingly difficult hordes, that would be cool!

Hexadecimal16

Mar 11, 2009
Tattaglia said:
The AI Director is Satan, although sometimes Satan can let you pass through a level without trouble, and then send in three consecutive hordes and a tank for shits and giggles. It needs to be a bit more consistent in his rape-age, or its mercy.

I remember I was the last one alive on the No Mercy Finale, below 30 health and slowly dying. I had outran two tanks on my own, killed three pouncing hunters, and dispatched a horde with a well-placed molotov. A few seconds before the helicopter arrived, I decided to use my health pack in an isolated corner, while listening for any gurgling sounds from a hunter/smoker/boomer. Then out of fucking nowhere, a hunter lands on me and rips me to shreds.

You should've just legged it, dude.

Sometimes the AI Director is a diabolical douche and other times he's pretty fair. Never too easy (at least not on Advanced), but fair. Of course the game is made significantly harder on any difficulty if you're playing with people without mics or people who just suck/won't work together.

I kind of love it when he's evil. It's frustrating but hilarious.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
Hexadecimal16 said:
Tattaglia said:

Sometimes the AI Director is a diabolical douche and other times he's pretty fair. Never too easy (at least not on Advanced), but fair. Of course the game is made significantly harder on any difficulty if you're playing with people without mics or people who just suck/won't work together.

If I had legged it, I would've been caught by the horde, then beaten to death before I even made it to the helicopter pad. Either way, I was screwed.

Hexadecimal16

Mar 11, 2009
Tattaglia said:
Hexadecimal16 said:
Tattaglia said:

If I had legged it, I would've been caught by the horde, then beaten to death before I even made it to the helicopter pad. Either way, I was screwed.
Yeah, inevitable doom moments are pretty much unavoidable in L4D. I can't even count how many times something like that has happened to me.

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
Ocassionally I do ponder its decisions. Expert, No Mercy 2, I think, where you end up in the Prawn shop. Having alredy fought a tank before, we were quite certain we were going to make it. Then, just as I enter the shop, a tank magically appears. Everything goes to hell. Car alarm goes off, boomer vomits on 3 of us, hunter pounces the unvomited one.

Other times, though, it's quite merciful. Easy Singe Player for giggles, I get like 7 pipes before I cross the bridge in Blood Harvest 1. Two First Aid-packs in the house after the bridge. Then, just in case, I find a deposit of 4 molotovs on the shelf outside the Saferoom.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
TheNecroswanson said:
Tattaglia said:
So, you want a predictable horror survival game? So, wouldn't that take away the horror survival aspect?
Survival horror? Surely you kid. Left 4 Dead is a zombie shootin' spree with plenty of ammo and health packs. Sure, it gets tougher on Expert, but its not anything like that on the lower difficulties. But yes, I do wish the AI Director to be more predictable - but not a completely predictable game.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Tattaglia said:

Aaa recognisable moments, tanks always seem to spawn at the wrong damned time, when I'm either low on health, ammo or both. BUT that makes it even more satisfying to beat the AI director. I remember the final of Death Toll one time, on Advanced. The boat was almost there and we made a run for it. Then suddenly, Zoey got grabbed by a smoker, whom I dispatched with a quick headshot, thén she suddenly got jumped by a hunter whom I knocked away and pumped full of lead. Ofcourse thén a boomer came along, who exploded all over her (....yea *giggles*) and attracted another horde whom I managed to fend off with a molotov. THEN the last tank showed up, and we just ran like hell, and we all got away. Best thing is that I did it all alone, the other 2 watched sheepishly from the boat, wich made saving Zoey from all that was even more satisfying. Gotta love beating the AI director.

Jul 23, 2008
Only ever time i've thought "wow, that's HORRIBLE luck" was when i was playing death toll single player, i walked up a ladder and got pounced by a hunter ON TOP of the ladder, All 3 helpful AI bot dutifully tried to climb up to save me, but couldn't get any further than three rungs to to the top because me and my new fuck buddy were having a brilliant time performing the cowgirl.
I die, we have to start map from beginning.