Poll: Left 4 Dead: Evil AI Director

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
The AI Director isn't evil, just stupid. As much as I like it spawning witches in a path with no way of avoiding it or sending nearly every infected at once to slaughter you, I think it needs a boost in the intelligence department.

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
See i dont know if it is my groups playstyle but the director decidedly hates us, he actually makes it harder every time we fail so we start a level dieing at the end just as the heli is taking off and get pushed further and further back, every time! Every time more hordes, less guns, more tanks, less health, what the hell?! Oh and im not sure if this actually because of the dirctor but i swear the spawn point of the tanks gets harder too - one spawned in the freaking safe room and another ON the rescue vehicle!

Sketchy

Aug 16, 2008
The AI director is a wildly inconsistent bastard. One map you will get through with no problems, the next map you're fucked straight out of the safe room. Wasn't he supposed to judge how you're doing and be flexible?

He doesn't. He fucks you up. Constantly.

Also,
headshotcatcher said:
Or they could make a new gamemode where four players make a standoff against infinite numbers of increasingly difficult hordes, that would be cool!
Isn't that the new Survival mode, pretty much?

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Sketchy said:
headshotcatcher said:
Or they could make a new gamemode where four players make a standoff against infinite numbers of increasingly difficult hordes, that would be cool!
Isn't that the new Survival mode, pretty much?
Yes, however I found out about Survival mode like 10 mins after posting that :)

DM.

Mar 27, 2009
I remember someone making a mod that made a tank spawn every time you pressed the letter t.

brb fighting 5 tanks.

Wait no 7 tanks

9 OF THEM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Zerghumper

May 8, 2009
I registered here just to post how evil the director is!

Here's what happened:

I was playing a coop match with my brother and two comps (Zoey and Francis). I was trying to get 3 achievements at once; don't get vomited on, no friendly fire, no startling the witches. So what does the all wise AI director do? It puts the witch in a doorway we had to go through. Well I tried running past (or should I say through her?) of course she woke up and knocked me down, then while I'm falling over a boomer vomits on my back (strike 2) then zoey shoots at an explosive barrel lighting myself(and the witch) on fire and counting as friendly fire. That's three lost achievements in 4 seconds a new record! AI director burn in hell! And don't even get me started on the game spawning three tanks in a row on us on expert!

Captain_Caveman

Mar 21, 2009
I love the AI director. when things get too easy it gets harder. when you start getting pwnd it tones it back a notch. well except on expert where it will just keep pwning you and pwning you and pwning you and pwning you.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
He isn't fair. He isn't that clever. But perfect as it is.

I rather have unpredictable, weird and/or hilarious situations than to be judged by my skill, therefore making the whole thing more predictable.

Versus and the AI Director are the only things that prevent L4D from getting stale fairly quickly...

Stycky Guerilla

May 7, 2009
The AI Director is alright as he is I spose. I wouldn't mind too much if he were more of a dick occasionally though. It's the best feeling to be playing through a level on expert, everyone greyed out, limping along, just waiting for a zombie horde to rush.

I remember playing through Dead Air on expert with some friends...we got to the parking structure...all quite low, and made our way up to the glass walkway. Out of nowhere a tank appears, we all screamed and made a run for the walkway only to find a witch sitting at the entrance, vegging out. Almost all of us made it to the safe room.

Good times.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
he can be a *****, but its only in these situations:

when u run around a corner or go into a room, and a tank is standing there. on expert.
when he does the same with a witch.
making a horde when most people has low hp.

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
wow, basically, he is about as perfect as he can be, most people call him fair, and then there is basically an even spread....

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Sketchy said:
The AI director is a wildly inconsistent bastard. One map you will get through with no problems, the next map you're fucked straight out of the safe room. Wasn't he supposed to judge how you're doing and be flexible?

He doesn't. He fucks you up. Constantly.
ive tried once on expert where he spawned a witch before we left safe room. in the subway.

HaloHappy

Sep 7, 2008
The director is like a little kid, and we players are little ants. Sometimes he'll give us gummy bears, but most times he's busy with his magnifying glass burning us, or drowning us with a hose. I mean, how the hell is 2 hordes, all three specials, a tank, AND a witch, fair on Expert Blood Harvest? And we didn't even call the army yet!

Anti-Form

Aug 20, 2008
The AI director is a bastard. Why the hell would you put me up against two hoards in a row and then make my CPU allies a bunch of retards who are more interested in opening the doors I shut myself in because I have 7 health.

acer840

(Insert Awesome Title)
Mar 24, 2008
Country
Australia
In all honesty, I actually like the in-consistancy of the AI Director. Nothing make you more nervous on Expert mode waiting for a hoard or a S.I. to rip you to shreads, then letting you guard down tht one second to be smashed off the roof by a tank. Or on critical health and finding that first aid station, letting your guard down, and finding nothing but zombies in the room beside said aid station.