Poll: Let us remember The Banned...

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
It is the end of the year, and many Escapists are no longer with us.

Some left of their own account--requesting Bans because they felt that they spent too much time here and needed the closure to prevent them from lurking (I saw one Poster say this), or, as with Boudica, because they were so angry about something that they requested a banning to burn the bridge behind them.

Others were cast out. Pariahs who treaded upon the Rules and Guidelines once too many times.

Others practically begged to be banned. Jesse Ventura [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Jesse%20Ventura] did that. He got bored, I think.

Despite years of lurking there are many of us who have been Posting at the Escapist for only a short time and often we hear of names which other Escapists speak of with a sense of loss or *shudders* horror.

Just what was it that Zeel did that warrants dread and taboo?

And there have been other names I have heard that people speak of...ones who went down with flames because they simply posted one too many Low Content Posts.[footnote]Watch yourself, Vault 101!!![/footnote]

[HEADING=2]Come, my friends...Let us remember The Banned.[/HEADING]

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Come... Let us remember... THE BANNED.

Okay, I'll be frank. I missed one person. Only one.

That person is [user]cotss2012[/user]. I enjoyed his posts and the thread where he got banned was entertaining.

Basement Cat

Jul 26, 2012
TopazFusion said:
Well, I'll remember [user]Mortai Gravesend[/user]. They even removed his profile.
Why did they do that? Is it possible that Mortai Gravesend erased his own profile, if that's even possible?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
These are a couple of the Glorious Banned I miss:

[user]HG131[/user]: Banned in mid-2011 over the protests on the new rules that were introduced then, specifically for comparing Spinwhiz to Stalin. Unwise perhaps but he was a good user otherwise.

[user]Danyal[/user]: Yes, he had some controversial opinions, however he did make R&P interesting. I'll admit he did go out in a particularly pathetic way though, repeatedly whining at the mods for a suspension until they banned him.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well Zeel was fun.

But besides that, at least those who got banned for breaking the rules, there isn't anyone I would say I particularly missed to a huge degree.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Ehh, I remember a couple or three, for various reasons.

I remember Necroswanson who seemed like a normal internet guy, but he made an angry post too many. I remember NoMoreSanity, who was a decent guy when I spoke to him but probably deserved his banning. I remember MaxtheReaper, forum celebrity of a couple years back. I remember Furburt, now running his own forum with Hubilub. I remember Indigo_Dingo, mostly because of his 10000 post review of the Escapist. I remember Darth Mobius and Darth Empyrean, a forum couple. I remember Zeeky Santos and Fish Food Carl and Lord Cuthberton and RAKtheUndead and Richard Groovy Pants and Sean Hollyman and Swollen Goat and WanderFreak and Mathew94 and Avykins and IdealistCommi (who became Rocket Dog) and Demented Teddy and Pararaptor. I remember Mortai Gravesend.

I mean, you stick around for a while, you tend to remember the people who make a name for themselves by getting themselves banned, as well as those who simply gravitate away.

I don't remember why they were banned and I don't glorify them either - many were banned for good reasons. I simply remember they existed.

Basement Cat

Jul 26, 2012
I remember @Wolverine18 getting banned for having multiple accounts and abusing the Health Bar Rules. The funny thing about that was that @Wolverine18 --who I first encountered in R&P--ended up banned because he forgot which of his accounts he was using and responded to The Iron Ruler using a different account in a direct manner: "Like I said earlier".

That's...well. The word 'pratfall' comes to mind. But I remember that he had some interesting things to say.

Edit: What about Katatori-kun? I remember he posted a thread about leaving the Escaptist. Has anyone heard about him?

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I'll always remember Sean Hollyman, for his interesting threads

Alas, he deserved his banning. The temptation to quickly get the Neo badge is too strong for some to bare

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I will always remember HankMan. Nobody could come up with more CSI NY puns on the spot than him. Every single update on the newsreel would always have a post by him.

And there was Boudicca, who left a strange impression to begin with before she went insane.

And there was that one guy who got banned during the whole Lolicon debacle when Tokyo imposed their new censorship laws on anime and manga. He kept advocating for loli and was proud of enjoying it. I can't remember his name however.

And then there was The Cool Kid. I don't know if he was banned or it he just quit, but I won't shed any tears over his departure.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Copper Zen said:
Edit: What about Katatori-kun? I remember he posted a thread about leaving the Escaptist. Has anyone heard about him?
Think he's still in his self-imposed exile. He did one quick post-by after he announced he was leaving, and then poof.

Of the banned-banned people (I file "ban by request" under "self-imposed exile" too, by the way, not a "ban-ban"), hm I suppose I could say I miss Stagnant and DrVornoff; but there seems to be the thing that many others have gotten less active as well, even if not banned, at least that's how it looks to me.

On the other hand, I've all but left R&P myself, if only temporarily.

And of course, there are those that shall not be named by me, of which the passing I do not mourn, and some that are still playing with fire and will also not be missed by me when they get burned.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
TopazFusion said:
Well, I'll remember [user]Mortai Gravesend[/user]. They even removed his profile.
I miss that sonofabitch. If only he weren't do easily angered by being looked down on.

The Pumpkin Witch

Sep 21, 2012
I rarely post. Normally I lurk. I care only for myself and dance on the graves of the dead, laughing. ;)

Who was Zeel? And MaxtheReaper sounds similar to Daystar Clarion. Were they just forum celebrities and did they get banned in some spectacular manners?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
EscapeGoat said:
Swollen Goat
That's really the only one I mourn. He was fun to derp around with but in the end he tested the patience of the mods and the staff too much.

I have fond memories.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Maxthereaper, Danyal (they might as well delete R&P now without him), Stagnant, Necroswanson, and Mortai Gravesend.
I think this is a sign I've been here a long time that I remember all these people, some of whom were banned years ago. Wish they'd be allowed to come back.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
TopazFusion said:
Yeah, I'll remember him :( First person on the Escapist I started to recognise and sympathise after I started visiting the forums (and later joined). I think he asked for the profile to be removed. I recall he was rather angry over the ban.

Also, [user]Matthew94[/user].

Copper Zen said:
Just what was it that Zeel did that warrants dread and taboo?
Well, he considered EA, BioWare, and Mass Effect 3 each to be Satan but combined to be...super Satan or something. He went in every Mass Effect 3/BioWare discussion and flamed people like hell for not showing nothing but hatred for these. If you were neural, or gods forbid, liked any of these, or at least defended them against baseless accusations, then you were a mindless Biodrone. That, by the way, happened before ME3 came out. I assume you've heard how bad it after people started with the ending? If you don't, well basically for several weeks the BioWare/ME3 threads dominated Gaming Discussion - there were more of them than other threads. Mult-paged ones, too.

Note that "This...this is unacceptable" is also a ME3 thread. Even if you don't count the DA2 thread, there are more about ME3/BioWare (well, only ME3 here) than all the rest.

Before ME3 came out it wasn't as bad, but ME3 still dominated compared to any other one topic. It would still require quite an effort to go and start a flamewar in (almost) each thread. He did manage. Until he was banned. It was pretty amusing, though, you could sit there and listen read his ranting for the same reason you'd listen to some crazy hobo preaching about the end of times - it's just so crazy it's entertaining.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
DoPo said:
Man, I didn't even realise he was gone :(

The Pumpkin Witch said:
I rarely post. Normally I lurk. I care only for myself and dance on the graves of the dead, laughing. ;)

Who was Zeel? And MaxtheReaper sounds similar to Daystar Clarion. Were they just forum celebrities and did they get banned in some spectacular manners?
Dunno if I'd compare Max to Daystar. Daystar doesn't make angry threads and posts and go around testing mod patience. I guess it's a step forward that we have positive forum celebrities these days, rather than people famous for unreasonable amounts of bile. Mostly.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Copper Zen said:
TopazFusion said:
Why did they do that? Is it possible that Mortai Gravesend erased his own profile, if that's even possible?
no he didn't....its weird though, It doesnt seem that common 0_0 I think even Zeels is still around

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
EscapeGoat said:
I remember Furburt, now running his own forum with Hubilub.
He does? Well, better that way. Maybe he'll have to ban himself one day.
I also do remember one female associate of Furburt but I have completely forgotten her name. Maybe you can help me out there? And I didn't even realize that Cuthberton and Hollyman were gone, shame on me.

Not to forget JanatUrlich, who's apparently not banned but I haven't seen around in ages. She always had delightful little stories about her multisexual endeavours to contribute to whatever topic was at hand.

Though all in all I tend to forget names pretty quickly.

Basement Cat

Jul 26, 2012
EscapeGoat said:
DoPo said:
Man, I didn't even realise he was gone :(
I asked the Mod group about him last night. It's currently on page one in the Mod Forum chat room.

Marter said he got into trouble for Spamming a user group. It happened like 2 weeks ago.

And Scarim Coral said: "He also made a mirror mod group on here which was pretty much a big F U to this group."

EscapeGoat said:
The Pumpkin Witch said:

Dunno if I'd compare Max to Daystar. Daystar doesn't make angry threads and posts and go around testing mod patience. I guess it's a step forward that we have positive forum celebrities these days, rather than people famous for unreasonable amounts of bile. Mostly.
I remember when people talked about some Posters having attitudes about having high Post Counts MaxTheReaper's name came up when a rather sour Poster complained about 'Forum Celebrities' getting away with having personality cults and breaking the rules all the time.

From the sound of it MaxTheReaper doesn't sound that much like Daystar, no matter how some people howl that Daystar breaks the rules all the time.

In fact, my impression of Daystar is that he tends to be easily one of the most light-hearted and least confrontational Escapists around. And I haven't seen him break rules at all, now that I think of it.

Maybe Daystar was more of a bad puppy in his youth?