Poll: Mac or PC

Trilby_V

Feb 9, 2009
I dont mean to start a flame war. Please use solid arguments based on fact, not "Mac is for faggots" or "PC is for Idiots". I just wanna ask, which do you prefer and why?

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
versus forums are not approved of.
but since you asked, im a pc man - better for games

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Trilby_V said:
Please use solid arguments based on fact, not "Mac is for faggots"
Sorry dude, Mac's aren't for faggots...
They're for women :p

No, in all seriousness I'd go with a PC 100% of the time. Why? Because I'm a gamer first, a designer second. I admit, Macs are widely regarded as better media machines, but I'd rather be able to upgrade my system.

EDIT: Also- Mac V PC does not mean Mac V Windows V Linux. Linux machines are PC's too.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
I use PCs... Macs seem to favor form over function (Macbook Air and it's unremovable battery, for instance).

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
I have both so yea.

I like the mac for editing and stuff because I have all the 1337 editing programzzzz.
I mainly use my PC to download music and movies and whatnot.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Hmmm.... will this end well? Probably not. Still, nothing wrong with getting in early when everything is still friendly.

I'm a mac man myself, I dunno, I've just never really liked Windows all that much, just something about it, for me the easiest alternative was a mac.

Ferrell

Mar 26, 2009
I vote Mac. I use a PC everyday, I don't even own a Mac. Issue is gaming, most titles just won't hit Mac. However, if I take that out of the equation I wouldn't think twice about getting a Mac.

InProgress

Feb 15, 2008
PC because I like being able to update components without having to buy a whole new computer. Plus, there are more games on the PC.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Mac - Easier to use, basically pull it out of the box and hit power and you can use it. Takes very little to no knowledge of computers to use. Hardware is decent enough in it. Excellent choice for people who know very little about computers and are too impatient to take the time to learn. Also, huge fad which will be over soon if I'm not mistaken. Way too expensive for what you get.

PC - More of a learning curve. Hardware can be shitty to superb depending on what you buy. Fully customizable. Gaming is a huge plus. Windows has its faults. Can do anything and everything a Mac can with a simple download from somewhere. Costs much less even if you build your own top of the line.

Basically, I am a PC guy. I have nothing against Macs, I just feel that when your argument is that you bought a Mac because it doesn't get viruses or bluescreen, and then go ahead and install windows on it anyway, you are just being hypocritical. If your operating system was indeed better, you wouldn't need to install windows on your computer.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
wordsmith said:
EDIT: Also- Mac V PC does not mean Mac V Windows V Linux. Linux machines are PC's too.
Macs are also personal computers. Hell, Apple practically started the term, if I recall correctly. Given that everything that the "Mac vs PC" ads talk about is really "OS X vs the last few versions of Windows", "PC" definitely means "Windows" in that context (okay, maybe 3% of their content is also about how Apple hardware is better than some of the "PC" OEMs).

-- Alex

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Im a PC and Im 19 years old

plus, I like video games and a Mac that plays video games is like shoving blue ray disks into an Atari

its not gonna happen

May 17, 2007
Although it's early, I'm surprised the Mac is doing so well. This is a gaming forum, after all: the place you're least likely to find a Mac user.

Neither one is flat-out better, but for general use outside of gaming I prefer the Mac. I find it better designed, more intuitive and better integrated. It's like a stylish sports car compared to a racing car. The racing car can be made faster, more modifiable and so on, but the sports car will be more enjoyable to drive in. The strength of PCs is also their weakness: flexibility. Yes, you can pick and choose parts to upgrade your computer, and yes there's more software designed to run on that system, but what you end up with is a machine built out of parts made by an assortment of different manufacturers, none of which is designed specifically to work with your exact set-up; similarly, software makers can't predict exactly what hardware and software you'll be running their program on. It's all very well for people who already know a lot about computers, but if you use a PC for a lot of what it's capable of you're forced to learn how everything works, because that's the only way to get the #$!@% thing to work!

Gxas said:
Mac - (snip) Way too expensive for what you get.
I respectfully disagree. Most comparisons of Mac price vs. PC price seem unbalanced because they just look at the big items of hardware: processor, motherboard, RAM, screen. When you include the cost of the operating system, the very useful set of software that comes included, the software you'd need to get an equivalent level of security on the PC, the in-built webcam, the in-built wireless connection, bluetooth, peripherals, etc. etc., it looks like fair value at least. If you put a price on good design - not just that it looks good, but also the fact that it takes up little space on your desk and small touches like the magnetic power cord connector for the Macbooks that prevents you tripping over the cable and flipping your laptop onto the floor - I think the Mac comes out ahead.

I speak as someone who just went through the process of giving their PC a major upgrade. I wasn't even starting from scratch, but there were so many costs I overlooked at first...

Trilby_V

Feb 9, 2009
Some of you say that you prefer windows because it runs more games, but there are several programs that run windows on your mac (boot camp, etc.) so you can use windows only software on mac. Yeah it is kind of a hassle but it works perfectly well. Tenmar, as I understand you you are saying that you feel that using a mac is because people lack interest to learn how to use new programs? Well, yeah, you have a good point there, as well as the having more control over your computer. However, this requires more time to learn and use.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Trilby_V said:
Some of you say that you prefer windows because it runs more games, but there are several programs that run windows on your mac (boot camp, etc.) so you can use windows only software on mac. Yeah it is kind of a hassle but it works perfectly well. Tenmar, as I understand you you are saying that you feel that using a mac is because people lack interest to learn how to use new programs? Well, yeah, you have a good point there, as well as the having more control over your computer. However, this requires more time to learn and use.
Why is a Mac the better computer/OS if you have to run windows on it to get it to do all the things you need it to do?

tk1989

May 20, 2008
JWAN said:
Im a PC and Im 19 years old

plus, I like video games and a Mac that plays video games is like shoving blue ray disks into an Atari

its not gonna happen
I am so confused by your post! Lol. I love my macbook, and it plays all the PC games i really care about tbh. Not a huge amount, but its not like the games i play on it are limited hideously which is what your post implies! I play WoW, COD4, NFS on my Macbook and they all run really well; WoW on a mac is actually better than on a PC, and I am sure its the same for a number of other games on my Macbook.