Poll: Makes You Happy?

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
CrimsonAssassin said:
So I am not normally what you would call a happy person. I am cynical, depressed, I usually have misanthropic tendencies and hate people until they earn some sort of trust.

However recently that all has changed. Almost 3 months ago now, one of my longtime best friends and I realized that we had feelings for each other so we have been dating. It has been incredible. I was just walking outside in the rain and wind today but felt like my mood was so good that the weather did not even bother me.

Now I am not saying this is an end-all happiness getter and there are still times when I am bitter and pessimistic but it has astounded me that one little change in my life could have such a profound impact.

So I pose the question to you the Escapist: Is there something in your life, whether it be something you desire or something you already have, that makes your life so much better that you could consider yourself happy because of it?
There's a Tv Trope for this you know? Something like 'What could possibly go wrong', 'tempting fate' etc.

But anyway, good on you. Except 3 months is usually how long the love chemicals buzz last. But if you're with an old friend, the foundation is already there.

Also new games make me happy, givesmehope.com, aside from that I'm a sad sack of potatoes

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
A filled stomach, tranquility, an epic game (where everything goes right, the grenade-lobs, the accuracy and the fact that no enemy, for once, is above, behind or at your flank, but vice versa.)
and memories of the joyful parts in my childhood.

Everything opposite of all that turns me into an emo seal.

klakkat

May 24, 2008
Drinking makes me happy, particularly when combined with good company, or a fantastic meal, or both. Still I try not to do it too often to avoid alcoholism. Other than that, I'm not a particularly emotional person; few things make me happy or sad.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
klakkat said:
Drinking makes me happy, particularly when combined with good company, or a fantastic meal, or both. Still I try not to do it too often to avoid alcoholism. Other than that, I'm not a particularly emotional person; few things make me happy or sad.
Agreed. Accept for the not doing it too often. Drinking is more my cure for boredom. Being drunk makes everything fun.

Satin6T

May 5, 2009
Hanging out with the same guys i've been hanging out with since middle school
gaming
Sleeping
watching crappy horror movies
laughing at someones misfortune

thejdcole

Nov 13, 2008
CrimsonAssassin said:
So I pose the question to you the Escapist: Is there something in your life, whether it be something you desire or something you already have, that makes your life so much better that you could consider yourself happy because of it?
Depending on how i feel when i wake up, and depending on whether it's sunny, whether i've slept well, how much stress im under. Different things will make me feel happy. I dont think that i have one particular thing or things that make me happy and i will search for when im unhappy. And to be incredibly cheesy and to echo what i read somewhere, happiness is a path and not a destination.

*Edit* Things which makes me feel happy most of the time are my best friends, and also lack of stress and boredom. But literally all of my best friends have moved away now. Each at least about 100 miles or so. So that makes me feel pretty depressed, and because they've gone i feel bored, making me feel unhappy also. And on top of that i have exams and coursework due...

*edit edit* I just read that some people said games make them happy, they dont for me, they just allow me to avoid boredom, and so instead of making me feel happy, keep me in a state of content-ness.. which isn't that awesome, but it's better than being sad.

Nealran

Apr 10, 2010
Offhand, I can think of several things that would make me truly, genuinely, unashamedly happy.

On the burned side of the coin I stole from Two-Face in a seriously screwed up moment of schadenfreude, I also cannot honestly get myself to care enough to make any of these happy thoughts into a reality.

Be it obtaining a bachelor's degree diploma and ramming it so far up a few pretentious bastards asses that they spit essays. Be it an actual, honest-to-Pete relationship that turns the world from "purge it with fire" to sunshine and lollipops. Even having a readily available friend or two who don't have enough psychological issues to give Freud a jolly would make me a considerably happier individual.

I honestly don't care. I know it's out there. I know I want it. I also know it's a hell of a lot less work to anesthetize myself with video games or booze every night, and therefore don't care enough to actually pursue any available options. It also doesn't help that life is incredibly weird even for single gamers, and the Irony Gods have incredible aim. I think I'll be taking my time to find this happything; if the internet is good for anything, it's good for a LOT of cautionary tales.

Edit: One of the cautionary tales is to avoid making posts on happiness at 3:30 in the morning. Sleep deprivation does not do wonders for happiness quota.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
My parents aren't forcing me to have a job. I've hated every job I've ever had & I'm going to enjoy this temporary endless-summer like retirement as long as I can before another job or another college is thrust apon me. (I keep getting kicked out of various collages for financial reasons & working while going to school is out of the question).

Raikov

Mar 1, 2010
The possible future outcome of my life! I may not have any real reason to be happy now, but there is unlimited potential for happiness during my future lifetime.
Being happy for the small things I've got right now (great friends!) is a lot better then being depressed because of the things I don't have.

Besides, being happy now increases my chances of getting even happier the next few weeks! =D

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
CrimsonAssassin said:
So I am not normally what you would call a happy person. I am cynical, depressed, I usually have misanthropic tendencies and hate people until they earn some sort of trust.

However recently that all has changed. Almost 3 months ago now, one of my longtime best friends and I realized that we had feelings for each other so we have been dating. It has been incredible. I was just walking outside in the rain and wind today but felt like my mood was so good that the weather did not even bother me.

Now I am not saying this is an end-all happiness getter and there are still times when I am bitter and pessimistic but it has astounded me that one little change in my life could have such a profound impact.

you've experienced an emotional awakening of sorts. I have experienced that sort of thing myself, for a long long time i was bitter resentful and self centered... i met someone and my heart opened... the trick to it is keeping your emotional sense, if that is ever cut off...
I was "entertained" by said person for a few days before they decided i was worthless. this is life, though the wound will never really heal, I have focused on the positive emotion i felt during the short time I felt as such, and instead directed that feeling towards helping others and generally fighting a never ending battle against my darker angrier side.

every victory makes me happy, every day is a battle in itself, and thus there is the possibility of a victory over my own hate of others every day. thus i am always at least sort of happy nowadays.

after all life is all your perspective, and your perspective is based on your expectations and attitude. so if you expect things to suck and take a pleasant attitude and decide to make the suckyness of everything slightly better for everyone you meet. this perception is an overall positive one, however dwelling on the negative causes one to feel negative. you can never find happiness as a pessimist. though an altruistically aligned realist is something that is a much steadier thing to be i must say. not saying i'm some sorta goody two-shoes, hell no... I'm more of a repentant asshole...heh heh

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
Queen Michael said:
What makes me happy?
One word: Batman.

Epic fails, pop music, running and leveling up my Cubone. To list a few things.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
I'm not going to pretend my life's the worst out there, but it's been leaning towards the bad side for a while now, yet when people ask how I'm doing, I answer with "alright" because I've gotten used to it, and basically being alive is enough to consider myself in the middle.

But even the thought of a girl named Jenny never fails to bring a smile to my face. We've known each other for years and recently become interested in each other (as in back in November or so) and just knowing she cares about me is enough to bring me to a mood that I consider happy. It doesn't help too much that she's in Florida until August while I'm here in Tennessee, but we're both excited about how I'll get to visit her in July.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
WEll One is when people ultimately screw up and believe it or not i've actually trained myself to be happier when snaping

Distazo

Feb 25, 2009
thejdcole said:
CrimsonAssassin said:
happiness is a path and not a destination.
quote]

I really like that quote. It doesn't matter how cliche and cheezy something is if you believe that it is true.

armaina

Nov 1, 2007
There are a few things in life that make me happy. Pokemon is always something I enjoy. Then there's art, drawing is always something that makes me happy. I also love my dogs, they always make me smile. But most of all, is my boyfriend <3 his presence always makes things better, even the bad things.