Poll: Mark Twain censored. New copies of Huckleberry Finn to replace usage of the 'n-word'

exarkunsith

Jan 12, 2010
This reminds me allot of the film which depicted the Dambusters raid into Germany.
The signal they used to say that the mission was a-go (or succesful i cant remember) was ******, after the leaders dog.
They changed it to Blackie, now sadly most people have forgotten the truth of what realy happened.
Yes, i know that it is a rather trivial thing, but it shows that over time we can forget things from the turning points of empires in history just because some people are offended by a single word, when acuraccy of historical fact is at stake.

(I know its a rant, yet i had to get that off of my chest.)

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Exterminas said:
That's pretty normal stuff in germany. Almost all the bazi literature as been censored to spare the feelings of the uews.
Um..... no ?
I´m not even sure what exactly you refer to with "nazi literature", but the stuff that is replicated (though I only know the kind of literature from that period, which is reprinted or preserved for academic use) usually is not actually censored in any way.

natural20

Apr 7, 2010
Caligulove said:
As I remember it, Huck was an unreliable narrator, and that became a major thematic device for the whole novel. The word was used that way and it has remained unchanged for so long because the reader is supposed to cringe and not like people using such an ugly word so casually. But his language and choice of words is obviously the lens of that narrator, and we see how he changes over the course of the novel reflects what he has learned from his travels and society around him, including his usage of the n-word.
I remember watching a documentary on this very issue just about ten years ago, and this was the major argument that convinced me to stick to the original text. You, Caligulove, had an excellent teacher if you can remember it that well.

At any rate, teacher rant over. I agree, this is part of who Tom and Huck *are*. They're not English majors obsessed with political correctness; they're uneducated boys from a very particular point in time, and Twain uses this brilliantly.

I still disagree with the ending of the book (lazy Twain...) but most of it is a really good picture of character development.

itsnotyouitsme

Dec 27, 2008
Yes, they are trying to change history. HF was set in the time when the n word was widely and commonly used. What are they going to do now? Replace any instance of Nazi in all the text books?

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
Huckleberry Finn was used, when I read it in school, to examine racism in America --- particularly how the N-word was so common and acceptable in Twain's day, and how and why it is unacceptable now.

And now, it's apparently become SO unacceptable that we can't have discussions on why Mark Twain, such an interesting man and excellent writer in other respects, nonetheless used this word --- because we're trying to pretend he DIDN'T.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
TheAmazingHobo said:
Exterminas said:
That's pretty normal stuff in germany. Almost all the bazi literature as been censored to spare the feelings of the uews.
Um..... no ?
I´m not even sure what exactly you refer to with "nazi literature", but the stuff that is replicated (though I only know the kind of literature from that period, which is reprinted or preserved for academic use) usually is not actually censored in any way.
I was trying to be ironic about how stupid it would be to change every word from literature that would offend anyone. Seems like I failed : /

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Wait, so Slave Jim is better than ****** Jim? Since when?

Godammit, why don't people leave well enough alone? The word isn't offensive, it's the racist asshole calling you that while trying to lynch you that is offensive. A word is a word. Also, injun? Really?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
I know what you mean. I learned from my parents, my grandfather, and the guys at the... well, its not really a reservation by a lot of Cherokee descent people live their together, even though its an actual town, but I didnt learn in school until 9th grade, and even then the teacher didnt want to talk about it with me in the room.

Still, I have a feeling thats where the US is going what with this.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The use of the word does nothing but accentuate the racial themes of the book. IMO there is no reason to change it, it will lessen the book.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
VanityGirl said:
But that's how they talked back then. o_O You can't change dialogue like that.
I agree. Don't censor it but feature a warning about the words use nowadays or something.

[sub]I suspect this topic and the politics around it will linger for many months...[/sub]

capin Rob

Apr 2, 2010
Anyone else think it's funny that WHITE people are the only one up in arms changing it? Oh, poltical corectness, will you ever cease to bring out the stupid in people?

Stand Alone Complex

Jan 9, 2011
I remember reading these works in school. It was always uncomfortable reading it, but it shouldn't be taken out or censored. It's part of American culture, literature and for that reason, I don't think any word should be censored; especially works from famous American literary figures such as Mark Twain.

Censorship is an evil America needs to stay away from. America needs to stop being such pansies. Whatever happened to the rough, tough cowboy figure that once symbolized the average American?

Gone are those days. The liberal left with their political correctness are ruining America.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Haseo21 said:
Gahars said:
Haseo21 said:
The US is becoming a bigger pussy by the second! Fuck this shit, Im moving to Australia bitches!
To avoid censorship, you're moving to a country notorious for censoring video games? I think you need to rethink your logic there.
Shit, I totally forgot about that.......what about Canada?
Canada is awesome, but it's a secret! Don't let other people know or they'll all start coming here ;) We're perfectly happy that the average American thinks we're a frozen wasteland with igloos and imbeciles.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Caligulove said:
[a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jan/05/huckleberry-finn-edition-censors-n-word"]Article[/a]
"A new US edition of Mark Twain's classic novel The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is to be published with a notable language alteration: all instances of the offensive racial term "******" are to be expunged.

The word occurs more than 200 times in Huckleberry Finn, first published in 1884, and its 1876 precursor, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, which tell the story of the boys' adventures along the Mississippi river in the mid-19th century. In the new edition, the word will be replaced in each instance by "slave". The word "injun" will also be replaced in the text.

The new edition's Alabama-based publisher, NewSouth books, says the development is a "bold move compassionately advocated" by the book's editor, Twain scholar Dr Alan Gribben of Auburn University, Montgomery. It will have the effect, the publisher claims, of replacing "two hurtful epithets" in order to 'counter the 'pre-emptive censorship' that Dr Gribben observes has caused these important works of literature to fall off curriculum lists worldwide.'"
I understand that words are hurtful to people, but I'm surprised to hear about this, especially when it seems more like a decision to omit any sort of 'bad word' from an established classic, like some sort of algorithm rather than a discussion of humans that understand context, framing and narrative. Surprised most of all that a so-called scholar of Twain's works would advocate something like this. A scholar in favor of desecrating the written work of an American Classic author, I can think of no greater insult than to alter or censor an artist's work- long after they're dead, too.

Huck Finn wasn't my favorite book in the curriculum back when I was in high school, I just thought it was OK. I do like Mark Twain, though. As I remember it, Huck was an unreliable narrator, and that became a major thematic device for the whole novel. The word was used that way and it has remained unchanged for so long because the reader is supposed to cringe and not like people using such an ugly word so casually. But his language and choice of words is obviously the lens of that narrator, and we see how he changes over the course of the novel reflects what he has learned from his travels and society around him, including his usage of the n-word.

It's been awhile since I read it, though. Tell me what you think.
I'm more concerned that people seem to think that it's ok to deface an author's own work by changing even a single word of the finished product.
You think that's bad.
Enid Blyton wrote a series of books called the Magical Faraway tree.
They have been censored in a similar fashion.

Apparently the names Dick and Fanny, despite being actual names were offensive and have been changed to Rick and Franny.

It severely pisses me off at least in your example the word ****** can be considered offensive. In my example, the change is more offensive, especially to anyone who is actually named Dick or Fanny.

7amurai

Dec 30, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
So.... The US is just going to censor every book and pretty much play dumb when it comes to that word and pretty much say that it never existed?
The US isn't doing it, some particularly imbecilic individuals who happen to be from the US are doing it.

sapphireofthesea

Jul 18, 2010
Very very good. I grew up in the Caribbean so I know the feelings around that word from both sides. It has lost much of it's sting in the Caribbean now. It is still not wise to use it randomly but if you are talking about the general topic (how whites thought about blacks back then) it would be prefectly justified use, so I see no reason to remove it.
Removing it in this context would be the same as changing God to something else (Creator being) in other works of the same time (random eg. he prayed to God that she would live), it would change the understanding of the age entirely as the use of God makes deliberate suggestion of the character's belief and is important in understanding the character and the history.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
AC10 said:
Haseo21 said:
Gahars said:
Haseo21 said:
The US is becoming a bigger pussy by the second! Fuck this shit, Im moving to Australia bitches!
To avoid censorship, you're moving to a country notorious for censoring video games? I think you need to rethink your logic there.
Shit, I totally forgot about that.......what about Canada?
Canada is awesome, but it's a secret! Don't let other people know or they'll all start coming here ;) We're perfectly happy that the average American thinks we're a frozen wasteland with igloos and imbeciles.
I dont think that at all, I think parts of Very Northern Canada are like that though