Poll: Mark Twain censored. New copies of Huckleberry Finn to replace usage of the 'n-word'

minuialear

Jun 15, 2010
I'm going to play devil's advocate for a bit.

Most people here seem to have missed the point where this is ONE publishing company engaging in censorship for the purpose of getting more schools teaching this book in their curriculum. There are tons of schools who won't touch the book because of how many times the word comes up (over 250 times; can't remember the exact number), and because when a racial slur against African-Americans comes up that many times in a book, it can make African-American students uncomfortable--ESPECIALLY if they are surrounded by Caucasian peers when they read these texts, or if they have had the slur used against them in malicious ways, or if the teacher is not good at facilitating a safe and respectable discussion (at least one of these things would probably apply to the majority of cases). It can also have a similar effect on Caucasian students in predominantly African-American classrooms. And frankly, if you can't have a good class discussion about a book you're teaching, then what's the point of teaching it? So given the choice of either teaching a censored version or no version, isn't it preferable to go with the censored version?

And then people keep saying that the n-word's an "essential" part of the book because it is an indicator of historical ideals and to erase the word is to change history and blah blah blah. Considering the entire book's about trying to rescue a slave from harsh conditions and having him subjected to a lot of bad behavior because of his ethnicity, is that one word really that necessary in conveying what history was like? Who really needs to read the n-word 250+ times in order to truly understand how much life sucked for slaves back then? Most people who read the book already know the word and its context, so what new and crucial information is it relaying to you? That people used the word a lot? Is this something that couldn't be said as a supplement to the discussion of the book in class, in the event that people had really never considered this fact before?

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Canid117 said:

fucking read it!
Great read - Bradbury had an uncanny ability to the predict the future through his 'Fahrenheit 451'. Fibre optics, Mach flight, ultrasound; it's all there.

Here's another thought, if there is a perceived 'need' to fundamentally alter a text, who has the authority to do so? I feel editing within the text should be purely between a writer and his editor, i.e. the editing stops when the writer dies - I would stretch this to include those often terrible attempts to complete works the writer left unfinished at the time of their death.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
The only reason why I don't condone this right away is because its only one publishing group rather than the work being censored in such a way everywhere. I would still recommend the unedited version due the the impact that the word has. "Slave" doesn't have the same impact as "******". And changing it takes away some of its impact. If people are offended then the book is doing its job, "******" (in this case) is suppose to make people go "wow this racism isn't right".

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Stuff like this really makes me angry. If you change it, it's not how Mark Twain wanted it to be. It's like colouring a part of a painting black because that part isn't politically correct. Future generation will read it and believe that Twain wrote it that way but it's not his book anymore. Luckily it's just one group who does it here but still.
Besides, that's how they used to talk back then, whether you like it or not.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
This is a ridiculous notion no matter who you talk to. Will we sacrifice the nature of other books, playwrites, and stories as well? What sort of person has to dumb down the works of Mark Twain of all people to make them feel good at night? You anal-retentive PC nutjobs out there, whoever you are, stop turning my fucking world into place where humans are so dainty and fragile that they'll break if you so much as cuss out of turn. Nobody REALLY gives a crap if they say ****** anymore. That's OVER. We have a black President now, so stuff it! The name of the game is "America! Fuck yeah!", so start living up to that gutsy nature!

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
Yeah, I thought this was absolutely ridiculous the moment I heard it in the news a couple of days ago. It was what Mark Twain wrote. Get over it. Not only does 'slave' not have the same effect, but come on, now -- it's almost patronizing. We're all old enough to know naughty words; we're big boys and girls now. If anybody's offended, then put the book down and go read Pride & Prejudice. Sorry you can't accept basic history.

Because that's exactly what it is. Yes, it's an offensive word now, but we have to accept the fact that once upon a time, it was in very regular usage in everyday language. Erasing all instances of it in Huck Finn seems like erasing history. (Templars. Whaddya gonna do.)

However, I'd be supportive of an edited text of this kind for primary school kids if they were studying Huck Finn (I know of no school, but there'll be one somewhere), because a ten year-old kid might not fully grasp the concept or seriousness of the word, but definitely not for basic editions you can go out and buy. Twain would be laughing at all this.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
*sigh*.. censorship is ran by the intellectually deficient ...

ah humanity just keep taking steps backwards.......

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
It keeps it all historically accurate, and whatmore, this is a classic you're censoring! Next you'll be taking out the murder in Tom Sawyer with the antagonists instead talking about the glory of Communism.

Don't ask where that last sentence came from.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Father Time said:
Mark Twain coined my favorite anti-censorship quote of all time

"Censorship is like saying a man can't have steak because a baby can't chew it."
That is a fantastic phrase and going into my repetoire.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
What disturbs me most isn't the idea itself, but how I know a bunch of people are going to think this is a good idea.

Jan 29, 2009
The idea is that clueless kids who do not know the vulgarity of the term will use it at random, and probably offend somebody and get shivved.
Sounds cool.
I still don't particularly agree with censorship, but it's an iffy issue.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
I voted yes for one reason, I read somewhere that these editions were for middleschoolers which I can understand, if that isn't the case I'll eat my shorts.

Chronarch

Oct 31, 2009
Changing something in a book without the author's consent is probably the most disrespectful thing you could do to an author. Granted, Mark Twain is dead but it's the principle of the matter.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR!

please feel free to let me know if you are offended. Please take note that i did not call anyone a ******, Nor did a i reference a particular race. It's a word Fuck, Shit, Ass, Dick, Mic, Hokey, Chingy, Porchmonkey (don't worry i'm taking it back) are also words. All of them have long a colorful historys. And no one makes noise about them unless used in a derogatory manner against a person. A REAL PERSON. I can call Dumbledore a cock-munching ****** and i highly doubt anyone will be emotionaly hurt by it. except maybe hardcore dumbledore fans but i meant personally hurt by it.

Also anyone else noticed this is done by "always gotta be Politically Correct" WHITE people? How many black people are actually for editing the name of one of the stongest black characters in popular fiction from the 19th century?

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
No. Yes, it may be insulting, but the scarier thing than cultural racism is changing history to sponge it from eventual knowledge.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Let's hope that Mark Twain's spirit gets wind of this and then jumps down from heaven, back into his body and takes bloody vengence on the morons who think this is a good idea.