Poll: Martial Arts - Yay or Nay?

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Dr Snakeman said:
Cowabungaa said:
Eico said:
Yes, a terrible self-defense tool.

More people are injured practicing martial arts each year than are injured in robberies and assaults. Running away is ALWAYS the best option. Fighting, regardless of how many years of some sport you have under your belt, is foolish. This, any law enforcement officer will tell you.

Again, Krav Magna is specifically designed for soldiers to disable armed assailants while being unarmed yourself. It's made to be as effective as possible and is proven to be just that. However, the problem with every tool is that in the end it all comes down to the wielder of said tool. It doesn't matter if the moves itself are amazingly effective and work superbly, if the practitioner can't execute them properly it doesn't matter how good the martial art is.
I agree with you here. There are a very few martial arts that "work", and that's one of them. Good rule of thumb? If it's used as the primary unarmed combat system of a military force, it probably kicks ass.

However, I'm going to be honest: I quoted you because it's spelled Krav Maga. There is no "n" in the word.

Sorry, but the spelling Nazi in me was not going to let me just ignore it.
I have to wonder what you mean by 'work'. Perhaps it is because I study martial arts in Japan now, and I have forgotten the gung-ho Western interpretation of it. I noted earlier in the thread that the purpose of Martial Arts in this day and age is not to learn how to 'kick ass' but to learn how to kick your own ass. To beat the crap out of your complacency, lack of self-esteem, laziness, ego, personality flaws, whatever. The most valuable thing I learnt from a childhood of Martial Arts is self-confidence and esteem. I learnt also many life lessons and great self-sufficiency. I never started learning so as to become a head cracking mutha, though many people do. One of the purposes of dedication and committment to the Arts is to lose your ego. That's what posers and self-proclaimed 'warriors' have in abundance.

No whether the techniques work or not depends entirely on how you measure them and which techniques you measure. There are techniques and patterns used for display and co-ordination. But there are techniques used for real-world functionality. We were always taught never to try the fancy footwork and flourishes taught in 'kata', but to stick to the short and direct blocks, parries and counters that defined the core of 'real' combat technique. They have helped me out of a few bad situations, and what's more, the training had prepared me for how much of a shock it really is to block something or hit somebody. How much of a shock it is to be blocked and hit.

In the end, the fanciful and elongated Martial Arts of displays doesn't really work in real situations. It needs too much space and honestly, it has been designed to mesh with other techniques from the same Art. It is for display and co-ordination after all. What does indeed work are the grounded and direct techniques derived from these. Of course, most importantly it is the wisdom and understanding of the self and situation, and the self-confidence eventually learnt by practicioners. Really, only an idiot would try Matrix type stuff in a real fight. What they would use would barely resemble what pop-culture considers and readily identifies as 'Martial Arts'.

Many such techniques wouldn't even be done from anything more than a neutral 'standing around' stance. Many of them wouldn't come from a noticible 'guard' either. Nothing makes a fight worse than sticking your fists up at your opponent. Relaxed, natural and loose. Don't look like you're in a fight, and there might not actually end up being one. That's what I've always been taught in almost every style I've done. In the 'exposes' on Martial Arts I have seen, the most sensational and irrelevant techniques are used, and mixed with so much artifice and pseudo mysticism as to make me sick. That really isn't what Martial Arts are in the real world. And that's not taking into account that you can use Martial Arts every day, at work, at home, in bed with your partner ...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
UberNoodle said:
I have to wonder what you mean by 'work'. Perhaps it is because I study martial arts in Japan now, and I have forgotten the gung-ho Western interpretation of it. I noted earlier in the thread that the purpose of Martial Arts in this day and age is not to learn how to 'kick ass' but to learn how to kick your own ass. To beat the crap out of your complacency, lack of self-esteem, laziness, ego, personality flaws, whatever. The most valuable thing I learnt from a childhood of Martial Arts is self-confidence and esteem. I learnt also many life lessons and great self-sufficiency. I never started learning so as to become a head cracking mutha, though many people do. One of the purposes of dedication and committment to the Arts is to lose your ego. That's what posers and self-proclaimed 'warriors' have in abundance.

No whether the techniques work or not depends entirely on how you measure them and which techniques you measure. There are techniques and patterns used for display and co-ordination. But there are techniques used for real-world functionality. We were always taught never to try the fancy footwork and flourishes taught in 'kata', but to stick to the short and direct blocks, parries and counters that defined the core of 'real' combat technique. They have helped me out of a few bad situations, and what's more, the training had prepared me for how much of a shock it really is to block something or hit somebody. How much of a shock it is to be blocked and hit.

In the end, the fanciful and elongated Martial Arts of displays doesn't really work in real situations. It needs too much space and honestly, it has been designed to mesh with other techniques from the same Art. It is for display and co-ordination after all. What does indeed work are the grounded and direct techniques derived from these. Of course, most importantly it is the wisdom and understanding of the self and situation, and the self-confidence eventually learnt by practicioners. Really, only an idiot would try Matrix type stuff in a real fight. What they would use would barely resemble what pop-culture considers and readily identifies as 'Martial Arts'.

Many such techniques wouldn't even be done from anything more than a neutral 'standing around' stance. Many of them wouldn't come from a noticible 'guard' either. Nothing makes a fight worse than sticking your fists up at your opponent. Relaxed, natural and loose. Don't look like you're in a fight, and there might not actually end up being one. That's what I've always been taught in almost every style I've done. In the 'exposes' on Martial Arts I have seen, the most sensational and irrelevant techniques are used, and mixed with so much artifice and pseudo mysticism as to make me sick. That really isn't what Martial Arts are in the real world. And that's not taking into account that you can use Martial Arts every day, at work, at home,
Sounds like I could've used that. A lot, actually, hell I could still. Somehow I doubt there would be a place that could help me with that here though. Stupid, tiny Western country...

But that's a very insightful little post you made there. Pretty much what I tried to say, just including the whole insider-knowledge I obviously lack. I wonder how *ahem* others would react on that.
in bed with your partner ...

Where could I sign up again?

Samnite

Sep 21, 2009
Been doing Jiu Jitsu for about three years now - did kickboxing before that.

On the subject of 'realistic' and 'practical' martial arts, just saying that you do one does not make it effective; any type of martial art is only any use at all when you've done it for so long and trained it so much that it becomes body memory, a reflex.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Grimbold said:
Okysho said:
Grimbold said:
I am doing Kung-Fu since two years. It won't help much against Knife-wielding Turks or well-trained boxers but it's keeping me fit. Somewhat.
What kind of Kung-Fu are you taking? I was taught how to handle a knife and even guns at "hold up" positions and "assassin" position.
Nam Wah Pai.
Yes, there are these techniques, but non the less my sifu told me that the best thing to do when facing guys with knives is to just run. There are these stories of the doorman who got his belly slit open and the black-belt who got his skull cracked by an iron bar from behind. Martial arts can improve an average trainees odds in a fair fight. But when things get unfair John Doe should just run for it.
Oh yeah, I wasn't arguing that. I was taught the same thing, after all there's nothing more important that survival in such a situation. I'm thinking more extreme circumstances if you've been cornered or you've been taken as a hostage.

Looking back, I've forgotten a few of them... oh shit...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Not combat martial arts, though I know some self-defense.
I mostly use some meditation techniques as a means of relaxing and "napping" without needing a bed.

The only thing in this world that you can always justify wanting absolute control over is your body. Might as well exercise that right.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I practiced Shotokan Karate for about 7 years of my life.

Unfortunately it was one of those things that I was pressured into so I didn't enjoy it as much as I probably could have and eventually quit. I was a second kyuo brown belt for about 3 years before I quit.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
There's always this:
Now of course, you need years of training for that technique to be in your muscle memory and to be quick enough.
So this is the fighting style of Sam Fisher....wow.

OT: I don't practice any martial arts, but dammit I want to learn! Even if it's something (for lack of a better word) simple.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I studied Karate for a couple of years. I think I got to yellow.
Then I started Qi Gong but that doesn't have a ranking but it did help prepare me for Jeet Kun Do which is my favorite because I get to mash together the techniques that work for me and study a lot of different styles. Once again no ranking but I was in the advanced grappling and the advanced Kali class for a while.
They even taught me some healing JuJitsu.

And as much as I like Penn & Teller's BS, they forgot to ponder on one reason people might like to practice MA: it's a lot more fun way to stay in shape than going to the gym - which bores the hell out of me. But it's fun... like a video game you get to live.

I've never had to fight anyone but I almost got jumped once while cutting through a parking lot on the way home. My muscle memory snapped into action. When the kid went for me and I got into a kickboxing stance, he got scared and ran off.
So it's not completely impractical either.

Kaiser6012

Mar 10, 2010
Learning MMA, grappling and european longsword at the moment. I've been learning for about... ooh, six months now?
It's good exercise for 4 to 6 hours a week, it serves as a focussing point for my often-too-high energy levels and, most of all, it's fun. That's really all I care about and all I'm looking to get out of it - self defence and such is just an added benefit.
Also, if one of the first self-defence manoeuvers you are taught isn't the "Take Anything You Want, Man With Gun", then I think somebody's being set up for a fall. Unless your physical health (if the person's looking for a fight) or mental wellbeing (if you're about to be raped, for example) is in imminent risk, you're better off giving the mugger all your stuff and legging it.

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
I have a 2nd degree black belt in Jungki Hapkido and practice BJJ at my University. Good workout and it may be useful in the future.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
I've been learning Judo and Ju Jitsu since I was 11 (now 18) and I love it, Judo is good for a workout and Ju Jitsu is good for confidence and discipline. :)

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Eico said:
I do not.

I saw a Penn and Teller: Bullshit! episode on martial arts a while back. Pretty much proved what a bad thing they are. Interesting stuff.
True, martial arts carry a risk of injury like any sport and a fist is no match for a bullet. But in my opinion it's better to know it than to need it and be helpless. Of course, carrying a gun works too.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I'm starting some Muay Thai in about a month or so. That's gonna be my opener then I plan on trying other things as well

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
Studied back in High School with a friend from Korea and his sister, Win Chun. Learned how to ACTUALLY fight in bars and bad boyfriends.

Otherwise- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2nEBkBYx0g

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
Officially I don't tend any classes as such but I know a lot of people who do and I learn it off them when we play fight etc.

monkey jesus

Jan 29, 2009
I have done Ju-Jitsu for years. Its not cheaper than a knife or gun but I'm in good shape and I have made some great friends all while I learn the intricacies of something I love.

I did once take on an armed robber, sucker jumped the counter at the petrol station I worked at, we wrestled for a while then he got free and ran off. He got sent down but they never found the gun, it was suggested it was a replica. Once he was out of sight I had a minor panic attack over the adrenalin comedown.

The whole martial arts vs a gun thing is bullshit and it always runs the same course. Someone claims that $martial art can defeat a gunman and the next guy calls bullshit. No two fights go the same way. You point a gun at me and ask for my wallet you get my wallet, you point one at my kid and I'm coming at you, you shoot me dead or you wound me and I break your fucking neck then I bleed out waiting for an ambulance. The situation dictates everything.

If you want to learn to defend yourself go and get in a bunch of fights and learn what works for you, develop the ability to take punch and keep your head in a hostile situation. There is no substitute. You will become good at fighting, if that's what you want.

Pinkros

Mar 15, 2010
Have been training Taekwondo last year, and thus I have a green belt. I think that whulst being fun, it's the most effective training I've ever done.

tjcross

Apr 14, 2008
i used to practice che-da-ru but now i practice sho-do-kai (and both of those are probably horribly misspelled)