Poll: ME1 vs ME2: the crew

Oomii

Dec 17, 2009
ME2 had a better crew I think.

I really liked the engineers and the basic crew talk when you walk by them, giving them much more personality.

I miss Wrex but what can you do? Ashley was the WORST part of ME1 a Kaidan was just as bad. Their replacements are much better but Jacob is a little, idk, generic.

Tali was the best part of the ME1s crew (Romance in ME2 =) and in this one I actually liked Garrus, he didn't say much in the first.

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
I liked the ME2 crew better, but that's mainly because my favourite character, Tali, was a much deeper character as a whole than she was in the first. Also Legion. He just straight up awesome, dawg.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
It's interesting, I'm really having a really, really hard time with this.

The crew from ME1 I liked because the smaller size made things more, for lack of a better term, intimate. Not only could you have quite a few conversations, but you could switch the team up more often and not miss out on anyone. ME2 makes me feel like I'm leaving too much of my team behind too often, not letting them in on the action.

On the other hand, there is also more variety in ME2's cast and you get to know them even further, something I thought wasn't possible. I do think that you run out of things to say to them way too quickly, I would've liked them even more if there were just as many conversations I could have with them, after awhile it feels as if you might have skipped some things.

I guess I'll go with ME1 but only by a small margin like half of a gnat's wing. But really you're asking me to pick between a squad I love and a squad I love just as much.

Zedzero

Feb 19, 2009
Mixed bag for me

I loved Grunt but loved Wrex more, I felt proud when I met him on Tuchanka.

Garrus seemed more badass, as stated b4 more Dark Knight like, never really liked him before.

Miranda is better then ash easily...and dat ass :p

Alenko...never talked to him much he was meh.

Tali has never seemed more cute!

Kelly is...meh

Jack is so demeneted it's awesome, yet cliched.

And well Legion he's just badass for being Geth and having Black armor...any other and I would probably not like him so much.

Thane is pretty good but his "memories" scenes kinda made me laugh and lose immersion

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Cheveyo said:
The only character I really disliked in ME2 was Zaeed.
Jacob was boring, but that's because he is such a nice guy. Nice guys tend to be boring.

The crew in ME2 felt more alive than the one in ME1. The personalities were more interesting.
I can agree with this. Two of your crew members in ME were there on orders, and there is nothing less interesting than a soldier following orders. Another was tagging along out of professional curiosity, another out of a sense of galactic obligation and the last was simply there because he really liked murderin'.

The follwing is enclosed in spoiler tags as it references most of the ME2 cast and in some cases their side missions along with backstories. It is lengthy because I'm long winded and boring:

In ME2, the cast is is much more varied. With few exceptions they choose to join on a suicide misssion. The team you build is not powered by a sense of galatcic or even purely human obligation. The team consists of dealists, pyscopaths, misfits and outcasts. Even the recurring characters are more interesting. Garrus is no longer a cop with a grudge against the one that got away but rather a striking reminder of what happens when even cautious idealism is stripped bare in the face of reality. Were it not for the offer of a suicide mission, Garrus would find some cause to throw his life away at, because for a Turian who has already betrayed his duties twice and seen everyone he has ever cared about killed at one time or another, the only solace to be found is in the face of certain death. Tali is no longer following Shepard out of a sense of greater obligation but instead for much the same reason as Garrus. Seeing the bulk of her team killed to retrieve data with no apparent importance, at least not one that justifys the cost paid has made Tali gunshy to say the least. People trusted her with their lives and one by one were sacrificed for a cause Tali couldn't understand. When a second offer to join Sheppard came along, I like to think she chose to come along simply because the stakes were clear - the survival of all sentient life.

For the most part, all the characters are interesting in some capacity - even Jacob. Here is a man who was a loyal alliance soldier who wanted to do his part and in the end, in spite of his service it became clear to him that he was wasting his time. As a former soldier, I can utterly emphatize with this. This is a man who wants to do the right thing and is willing to work with anyone who has the same objective. The simple fact that he doesn't trust a man he knows nothing about shows he learned the most important lesson a soldier will ever learn - if you're going to be sent to die by a superior, you must have absolute faith in their ability to make a decision.

Miranda is an interesting study in the limits of human perfection. Stronger, faster, smarter and better in every respect from a normal person, one would generally think her uninteresting. Yet, because of this inherent perfection any failure, no matter how minor is a personal blow. She has no usual weakness of the species and yet she is still able to screw things up - how does one reconcile flawed results when they express perfection in every other area?

Jack was unpleasant to say the least, yet in spite of this she at least managed to be a sympathetic character. Jack demonstrates the lengths Cerberus is willing to go, and even if the project was unsanctioned she serves as a reminder that regardless of the objectives of the moment, Cerberus as an orginization places value on nothing other than human advancement. She is what happens when you cruely forge a human into a lethal implement, her entire personality a reaction to her formative years. Jack is notable because she is the only member of the crew who had little choice when accepting the job, and her motivations remain unclear. Does she possess some unstated understanding of the risk inherent in securing her release or does she simply play along in the hopes that she may be granted an opportunity to destroy her creators? Jack is a question mark, a character that I despise and pity even though she would revel in the former and be disgusted by the latter. I wouldn't pursue a romantic relationship with her by any stretch of the imagination, but she is the most tragic figure in the tale. Her story is one where she never got to be a child, never could trust a soul and has, at ever turn, been rejected or betrayed by every single thing she has ever come into contact with. Perhaps Jack sticks around simply because she has always been on the run even if she won't admit it. Maybe all she really neeed was for someone to grab her by the arm for just a moment and remind her that one can't outrun their past no matter how far they go or how fast they travel.

Grunt, like Wrex, is a bland character. He is a warrior in the purest sense, seeking battle with any who proves worthy regardless of the cause. He fights with Shepard not because of vague attachments to the idea of the survival of the species but simply because Shepard promises to find the deadliest battles against which Grunt can test himself. To a Krogan there is only war - indeed every aspect of their society is so closely related to combat that a bloodbath could readily ensue over the preparation of a meal. Grunt never questions why he fights, nor did Wrex. The Krogan are literally nothing more than bioengineered supersoldiers with one reason for existance - and even if they say funny things from time to time, they are as one dimensional as they come.

Samarra is a light-side Jedi, only someone stole her light sabre. Her code is foriegen, inelegent and utterly useless to me. It provides the only arbitration over life and death that she needs. To encapsulate her in even less socially acceptable language, she is lawful neutral, a paladin on a quest without end or purpose. Her code provides a standard for all scenarios, and yet leaves no room for compassion, no need to consider the circumstances. Theft is always wrong, even if it serves to feed a staving family. She even enlisted the aid of the crew to murder her daughter for a crime of genetic abnormality exacerbated by a desire to not live a life in a prison.

Thane is an assassin who readily admits to having done things he is not proud of. Now he faces his mortality and has resigned himself to simply trying to better the galaxy through the only skill he possesses. A literal artist of murder, Thane is on a quest for redemption. For some, death offers the only hope of absolution for a life of vice and debauchery. We know precious little about Thane's past and he, like Jack, is a bit of a mystery. One can assume he has always attempted to spare the innocent when he could but one can imagine a man who fights with brutal calculated efficiency would have, at some point, been willing to kill an innocent if it brought him closer to his objective. There was problably even a time where he could convince himself that such sacrifices were necessary - he was, after all, tasked with killing people who utterly deserved to die for their social transgressions, and if a few people who didn't have it coming got in the way so be it. Thane is the only character for whom every mission is a suicide mission, and if nothing else I have to respect the character of a man who is literally staring death in the face and chooses to keep fighting. Most would simply resign themselves to a short life of comfort and peace rather than a shorter one of pain and violence.

Mordin, like Thane, is on a quest for absolution. Even with a loose moral code, Mordin clearly finds it difficult to square his duties as a doctor, a healer with is actions. He may not have ever killed someone outright but he has denied countless millions the right to life. Where Thane has the death of a relative handful of innocents on his head, Mordin has deined millions if not billions of Krogan the ability to even forge their place in the universe. Sure it was for the greater good, but any time sone uses such a phrase, someone has been hung out to dry. Pile on top of that the fact that he delivered consistant comedy gold and he is easily one of the most interesting characters in the game to talk to.

In the end, all of these people had a reason to march headlong into hell, none of them having anything to lose but their lives. There were characters that I saw as expendible going into the suicide mission of course, but this was not because they were uninteresting but rather simply because they were redundant. In my first playthrough (perhaps the only honest playthrough one will ever have), I made the right choices and everyone made it out alive. Most were interesting enough that I would gladly have them at my back in the final confrontation. This squad represented the cross section of the depest depths of galacticy depravity and yet, were I actually shepard, I would trust most of them with my life. This is more than I can say about most any NPC in games past.

Of course, this leaves one loose end - the "romance option". Most people seem to dislike Ashley because "she's a racist", but I don't see it that way. Her grandfather has the dubious distinction of being the only human to surrender to an alien force. She has lived under the shadow of this her entire life to the point her career is hounded by it. Moreover, she is neither blind to her duty as a human nor to her place in the grand scale of the war being fought. She is but a poor bloody infantryman, and she wears that with the pride only a career soldier can manage. As a former soldier I can say that everyone has character flaws that plague them. Some are far too sure of themselves, others too indecisive. Some are unwilling to grant any emotion to the enemy, others respect the foe to a fault. In spite of what is expected of them, Soldiers of any nation are expected to act as the final arbiters in any dispute, and in modern warfare life and death only see a fraction of a second of difference. She saw her unit wiped out by vastly superior numbers on Eden Prime and in spite of this she was willing march unflinching into the mouth of hell itself. There was no adorable nievity here, no bizarre alien fetish - Ashley was simply a soldier, a woman and most importantly, the only person with a shread of humanity on display. Alenko's faults were built into him, Liara's the result of leaving home too soon. Ashley's faults are the scars of hard won experience, the natural result of a life of service. For the record, if there was ever a character I would sacrifice Shepard for, it is Ashley - she's a damned hero in every measure of the word and she, if no one else, deserves a chance at a life of peace and happiness. Everyone in ME 2 is a lost soul - were it not for this suicide mission not a single member of the team would be employed in the service of the greater good. Even when Ashley refused to come along I understood her decision - were it left up to me I'd have told Cerberus to shove it as well but for at least for the duration of our brief alliance, our goals were alligned. Were it not for the simple fact that Cerberus was the only organization willing to combat the theat, I'd have jumped ship at the first port and joined back with the alliance, and the fact that Ashley was unwilling to come along shows some merit to her character. She's a soldier, a servant but in the end, she knows who the enemy is, and she knows full well that the enemy of my enemy is often still an enemy.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
I prefer the Mass Effect 2 crew. I miss Wrex and Liara, but Kaiden was just boring and one-dimensional. Ashley... well, she was alright--at least she had a personality.

I'm glad Garrus and Tali are back--Garrus seems to be filling the badass-void left by the lack of Wrex (Grunt is a poor substitute), and Tali has taken over the post of shy, nervous, genius cutie.

Grunt is an interesting character, but, as I said, a poor substitute for Wrex. I would have liked to been able to get to know him better, but his entire history sort of prevents that. Thane is also interesting--his loyalty mission was probably my favorite. He's a little cliche, but not in a bad way.

Mordin is awesome. He's a brilliant scientist who shoots people, sings Gilbert and Sullivan, and gives you inter-species sex advice. What's not to like?

Samara is very interesting too, but not the kind of person my Commander Shepard would want anywhere near his ship. I would have liked to get to know her better, too, and I can't wait to see her track down her other daughters in ME3.

Legion... I'm conflicted about. He's so cute when he's shy, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm going to kill him in ME3 when I help the Quarians take back their home world...

Jack wasn't as annoying as I expected her to be, but I found it hard to like her.

Jacob and Zaeed were pretty one-dimensional and plain... not much to say about them. Jacob's high level of formality was always amusing, though.

Then we come to Miranda. Ugh.

She's a *****. She's boring. Her loyalty mission pissed me off (because I and every other person who played it saw the end coming from the moment it began). And her voice-actress even sounds bored out of her mind.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Just because Legion is there, the ME2 crew is better.

I'm still holding out for an elcor and hanar (har har anime joke) crewmate in ME3. A volus would just be pure win.

Or a Vorcha or surviving collector.

Or a Reaper.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
My opinions on ME2 characters begins:

Jacob: I really liked him. He was kinda unemotional and his story was pretty boring, but I loved his character. Really the kind of person I'd like to be friends with; a straight-shooter who always trys to do the right thing. I kinda wish he didn't care as much when people do renegade stuff. He always seems to get personally offended. I went into the game expecting him to be bland and uninteresting, and he kinda is, but I found things to like in him that I never thought I'd see in a video game character.

Miranda: Total, egotistical *****. She may just be putting up a front as a defence-mechanism, but I still don't like to spend time with her. The only real use she has is the fact that she can effectivly tear down any enemy's defences, plus the fact that she passivly buffs all party members. I'm glad she died on my first play-through.

Garrus: Everyone's favorite Turian comes back for another go. In Mass Effect 1, he was my single most used party member and having him back is a breath of fresh air. He hasn't really changed much. He's still a renegade badass who's out to deal justice in the most effective way possible, though they delv a lot deeper into this aspect of his psyche this time around. I really learned a few things about him in his loyalty mission.

Mordin: Ended up being a lot more interesting than I expected. Probably the most interesting dialogue of all the characters, and even has a decent backstory. He even shows that he has a human side in his loyalty mission. Too bad I had him killed at the end.

Grunt: A crappy Wrex substitute. He essentially is Wrex with less personality, less survivability, a bit of an ego, and one less dimention. And what really sucks is that Wrex is easily found on Tuchanka! Screw breeding, lets have one more mission for old time's sake.

Jack: I expected her to fill the massive badass void left when Wrex was removed, but she really came across more as a punk. Just an angry child who loves to take her anger out on anything that looks at her funny. There were a lot of times I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to keep her emotions in check. Sure she's the wrecking ball that I expected, but she really just needs to chill out sometimes. If it wasn't for her great loyalty mission then I would have kinda hated her.

Tali: Veteran number 2. I always thought she had an interesting character and story, and Mass Effect 2 expanded on it. She didn't really change much; she became more mature, but really still the same.

Samara: 0 personality. Boring backstory. Overall terrible character.

Thane: A pretty stereotypical assassin with a big scoop of religion on top. I enjoyed learning about his species, but his personality is...well actually it's pretty darn good. Especially in comparison to the previous character. A cold killer with great respect for whatever he kills. I kinda just wish that his loyalty mission wasn't pretty much something that could have been replicated in a phychiatrist's office.

Legion: 0 personality but, as a robot, he's supposed to be that way. I don't really know what to make of him. He's very friendly towards everyone on the ship, but I always get the felling that he's about to tear your head off if you do anything bad to a machine. Because he's a machine, it's kinda impossible for me to tell where his loyalties lie and what his goals are. I don't hate the character, but I can't bring myself to trust him.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honorable mention:

Liara: You threatened to "flay" him with your mind!? I know you're putting up a front and all, but I never thought you were capable of that! I'm surprised, I'm really surprised. I thought I knew you, but apparently there's a level of you that I never got to see in the first game.