Poll: ME3 EC didn't fix anything

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
My main problem with the extended cut ending is that we shouldn't have had to ask for them that's what should have been there to begin with.If I had been able to see those endings on my first play through I would have been satisfied I missed out on the emotional impact because I had to endure the horrible first attempt at ending it.

Kurenaino

Oct 29, 2010
I'm sorry, I...

I liked it. A lot. Sure, there are plot holes, sure, the Star Child's a little *****, sure, some things don't make sense, but you know what? I liked it. If this was the original ending, I wouldn't have had a problem. It felt complete to me. All I ever wanted was closure, and the feeling that not all was lost, and with these endings, I got that. I know what happens, I saw my squad alive and well and there was HOPE. Well done, Bioware. I feel I can play the series again and feel satisfied.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
It didn't do the thing that should have been there all along, which was to show how all your collected war assets played out in the battle for Earth and the Citadel. That was where the variety and impact of player choices throughout the trilogy should have been reflected, and if it had been present just about anything could have been on the end.

So no, it didn't fix anything.

Still, the latest multiplayer balance changes have stopped character cards dropping when you're maxed out for that character, so it might be worth dipping back into that occasionally again.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
thelonewolf266 said:
My main problem with the extended cut ending is that we shouldn't have had to ask for them that's what should have been there to begin with.If I had been able to see those endings on my first play through I would have been satisfied I missed out on the emotional impact because I had to endure the horrible first attempt at ending it.
Pretty much, this. If these were the original endings, I don't think any of this massive outrage would have happened.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
/ThreadHop

Just watched all of them, and a couple of the originals again, just as a reminder.

Well, it's a little better now. The galaxy isn't completely fucked, and ooh look, some of the decisions you made in ME3 show up as slides in the ending now.

But what about the stuff in the previous games? The previous games still don't matter.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I was alright and perfectly content with the way the game ended originally.

I'll download this new expansion soon, play it and if I dont like it.....I'll start up a massive internet campaign called "Take Back Orginal Ending" and cause havoc and moan for months on end until Bioware invent a time travel device and go back a month or two and decide to not release the new DLC. I'll show em.

After than I think I'll march onto Wall Street and Fleet street and tell the big companies and banks to give all their money away to the poor and all become farmers instead.

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
kyosai7 said:
thelonewolf266 said:
Pretty much, this. If these were the original endings, I don't think any of this massive outrage would have happened.
Yeah, its not perfect but it would be impossible to have it end in a perfect way for everyone I for one appreciate the fact that they did fix it.That said indoctrination or the dark energy story line might have been better avenues to go down(not for extended cut but for the original ending) but we'll never know.

GloatingSwine said:
It didn't do the thing that should have been there all along, which was to show how all your collected war assets played out in the battle for Earth and the Citadel. That was where the variety and impact of player choices throughout the trilogy should have been reflected, and if it had been present just about anything could have been on the end.

So no, it didn't fix anything.

Still, the latest multiplayer balance changes have stopped character cards dropping when you're maxed out for that character, so it might be worth dipping back into that occasionally again.
I agree with this the fact you don't get see any of the War assets you've spent three games collecting(apart from the destiny ascension) is just stupid.I especially wanted to see Kirrahe killing reapers by the dozen.

nexus

May 30, 2012
It still doesn't fix the fact that it betrayed what the series was since the beginning. A space opera that was more about having conversation, making choices, and living with the consequences of those choices.

In the end of ME3, that went out the window when something entirely new was introduced in the last 15 minutes. Then, if that wasn't enough, none of your choices even matter in the end. Was really disappointed with the whole thing. DLC isn't going to change any of the major problems with the ME3 conclusion... This isn't to say I didn't love Mass Effect as the incredible series it was.. but it just puts a really bad taste in your mouth in the end. So much more potential.

Also, if you don't like reading about people's so-called "whining and complaining", then don't go into a discussion with a specific subject that bothers you. Not that difficult children.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
If they had put the damned "Reject" ending into the game in the first place, much of the controversy might have been averted. That's the best of the four endings.

The extended endings... they aren't terrible. Haven't played them through yet, just watched on YouTube as I don't have 2GB free on my XBox. Ironically, I find most of them to be too sweet and nice now; you Control or Synthesize and you've got Reapers rebuilding stuff for you, which wasn't hinted at in the original. Really I find both of those extended endings to be funny, almost a kick in the teeth from Bioware/EA. "Aww, was it too unhappy for you? How about we make everyone in the galaxy best friends now? Are you satisfied?". The Destroy ending ... I'm going to have to look for more about the gameplay before the final decision to see if they explain why EDI isn't around at the end. It looks like it missed a golden opportunity to showcase the "human" cost of this in watching EDI die in front of Joker's eyes, and take a large portion of the ship with her when she died.

Other than that, they aren't terrible. Not terribly great by any stretch of the imagination, but they give a bit more depth to the ending and sort of answer some of the main unanswered non-plot hole questions.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
kyosai7 said:
thelonewolf266 said:
There would have been whining and disappointment. I would have been whining and disappointed. But I probably wouldn't have actually registered on the Escapist to actually vent about how disappointed I was. But I will agree that had these been included in the original game, the massive outrage wouldn't have happened; at worst it would be like the end of Fallout 3. (which, amusingly, I loved.)

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
Personally i voted No, as it didn't fix anything. I knew it wouldn't, as the ending sucked and they were sticking to their guns on it. Possibly some sort of new development in FTL travel could fix things but that would have defeated the purpose, there is just little that can really turn this alleged victory into anything other than a disaster.
Personally however, the only reason the ending seemed so bad to me was that the rest of it was so far above par, they set the bar very high and choked.

Z of the Na said:
Kahunaburger said:
And, apparently, get mad when people criticize and/or mock Bioware.
Who's mad?

I couldn't care less if people criticize Bioware.
For someone who doesn't care, you sure posted a lot, more than anyone else on the first page. That seems like caring to me.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
AT God said:
I'm depressed about the new ending but it did fix my concern, it just didn't give me the happy ending or explain what happened after ward like I had wished.
Yeah...part of me feels this way too. Before, I was depressed because of the terrible ending. Now, I'm depressed because I really did have to say goodbye to Shepard ;__;

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
I had an interesting experience last night...

I stayed up late last night, determined to see at least one of the endings. After my talk with the Catalyst, I decided to check out the Synthesis ending and then hop into bed.

So i'm walking down to the middle choice, and then for whatever reason, I start randomly shooting at shit. I turn around, and the Catalyst is standing back where we were talking. So I decided to shoot him.

And get the fourth ending. Which was actually a really cool ending.

I wouldn't of chosen it normally, and would of liked to see the ending of the battle for Earth, but was still a cool way to end the series.

Ok, so it's not that interesting a story now that I think about it.

I haven't seen the endings yet, but i've enjoyed the extra stuff that's been put in so far.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
endtherapture said:
What about Dragon Age then...

Kill the Dragon...marry the Queen...live happily ever after, that's one of the endings you can get.
Was that in one of the DLC's? As I recall once the "Dragon" was dead, the world was still a step or two away from ending. And I aimed for the best possible outcome.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
BRex21 said:
For someone who doesn't care, you sure posted a lot, more than anyone else on the first page. That seems like caring to me.

Fuck if I know anymore. I said what needed to be said when I actually cared about this topic.

Now it's so blown out of proportion that I couldn't find two fucks to be given anymore.

I'll be over here, enjoying Mass Effect 3 and not bitching about the ending on an internet forum.

God damn.

Andreas Duschinger

Jun 28, 2012
Not G. Ivingname said:
-_-

EA, Bioware, did you not listen to a word we said?

Still imagines of people, telling us how everyone lived happily ever after in peace and perfection WASN'T WHAT WE WANTED FIXED.

We wanted:

1. Fix the plot holes you could drive a reaper through.

2. Not rely on Deus Ex Machinma.

3. MADE THE CHOICES WE MADE OVER SERIES ACTUALLY MATTER.

You have achieved NONE of this. In fact, your endings are now worse in some respects. Like in the Synthesis Ending, where EDI talks about how we would "trasncend moratality itself," wasn't that just what the REAPERS were trying to do. So in effect, you made the Indoctornation theory even more likely. The fact the ends looked so cheap, with the same still images played, with slight photoshopped differences, doesn't help matters either.

Bioware, EA, YOU ARE FAIL. >.<
Quoted for truth!

Biggest plothole:
Godchild: "The citadel is part of me."

Okay!?! Then can you explain, why Sovereign and Saren had to occupy the citadel in ME1 to call the other reapers? Couldn't the godchild do it himself? He controls the reapers (his saying) and the citadel is part of him.

This is only one plothole and this alone makes ME1 obsolete.

Very bad storytelling.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
None of this whole fiasco actually mattered to me in the end. I got myself killed by Marauder Shields, and just left it at that. Definitely the best possible ending for the trilogy.