Poll: ME3 EC didn't fix anything

sobaka770

Jun 20, 2008
Hap2 said:
sobaka770 said:
Now if only they could scrap the synthesis ending, I'd be happy. It just goes so much against the lore of the series into magic territory, it just disgusts me by its mere presence even though I don't have to choose it.
The whole Dark Energy and eezo explanation for how the ships move at the speed of light could also be considered space magic you do realize.
It could but the last three games wrapped it up very nicely with tons of Codex entries so while unreal it was also believable much more so than the Force.

I don't want to enter the whole Star Wars vs Star Trek genre debate here but in a nutshell Mass Effect (which is closer to Star Trek than Star Wars) tries a lot to be grounded in some kind of science, which is proven by the fact that they try to explain how everything works e.g. the ships, the relays, mass effect cores and heating down to eezo wrapped in a layer of probable physics. From that perspective Synthesis is so revolting because it comes out of the blue and doesn't respect the established laws of the universe.

purgetheweak

Jul 15, 2010
Do people just forget how many games have had absolutely terrible endings? Pretty much every Final Fantasy game has ended the same way... Bad guy dies, good guys lament their sacrifices... Blah Blah Blah, world is saved.

Comparatively, ME3's ending was just fine. If a cutscene at the very end makes or breaks the entire game for you, you really need to take a closer look at why you're even playing video games. Just like reading a book or watching a movie, the entire purpose isn't just to see the end, it's the experience the ENTIRE thing. Even apart from the Mass Effect series, which was awesome, ME3 was still a very good game, and throwing a temper tantrum because your B.S. over-entitled sense of self-worth wasn't fulfilled is just plain dumb.

So be upset, you are certainly entitled to have your opinion, and the internet gives you plenty of wasted space to spread your vitriol. Just stop acting like Bioware owes you something, they've provided you with potentially hundreds of hours of entertainment, is the last 10 minutes really that important?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
biowareinanutshell.txt

The real question is why there are 3+ threads about 10 minutes of slideshow.
Hey. It beats a solid month worth of topics about the first three endings.

There really isn't anything left to discuss: Bioware ran out of time, screwed the pooch so hard she can't even squat down to take a crap, and now they think they can fix this shit by adding in the Happier Ending (which wasn't the problem to begin with. At all).

The Bioware name will remain for some time to come methinks, EA isn't anywhere close to through with them yet (assuming EA doesn't crash and burn) but their reputation is damaged in a way that cannot be repaired.

BRex21

Sep 24, 2010
Z of the Na said:
BRex21 said:
For someone who doesn't care, you sure posted a lot, more than anyone else on the first page. That seems like caring to me.

Fuck if I know anymore. I said what needed to be said when I actually cared about this topic.

Now it's so blown out of proportion that I couldn't find two fucks to be given anymore.

I'll be over here, enjoying Mass Effect 3 and not bitching about the ending on an internet forum.

God damn.
But you're not, you're here, on a forum, complaining that people aren't enjoying this game you are lurking on forums responding to posts. Bitching about people bitching about an ending.

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
I don't care much, I still love every ME game and don't mind the ending. Also, I love the extended cut because the Reapers helping people is badass.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
BRex21 said:
But you're not, you're here, on a forum, complaining that people aren't enjoying this game you are lurking on forums responding to posts. Bitching about people bitching about an ending.
A bitchception, as it were. How amusing.

Oh, and at this point I'm only responding because people keep quoting me.

I have long since stopped caring, rest-assured.

Stripes

May 22, 2012
You cant fix an ending, since the origanal is what we know is really the true ending. The ending was bad, full of holes and anti climactic, there is no fixing that. Ever. You cant delete the memory of it nor its existance so we would be better just not getting invested in bioware games ever again, we cant trust them to treat what they make with respect since the ending was blatantly rushed/cheaply done because it was written to make all the things which should have been taken into account and given closure (to make enough endings for every possibility would be very costly and time consuming, which wasnt something they were prepared to do) not matter. I wont trust them again because I dont want to see such shabby treatment again, ytou can claim artistic integrity and whine that they meant for this all along but the fact is that it doesnt fit, means nothing and conveiniently allows them to make a few endings which pretend to encapsulate all events up to that point.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
So I actually played it now, instead of just watching it on YouTube. I thought maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I have to experience it for myself in order to like it. Jesus Christ, I think it's even worse than the original now when I experienced it for myself. At least after the original ending I was so confused, pissed off and filled with doubts. This is just terrible.

Like I said in the opening post, the moronic logic of "the created will always rebel against the creators" is still there. Except this time there's no possibility that the IT is the real deal. Guess it was too much to hope for. But no, Bioware actually expects me to accept their faulty logic.

The geth don't even want to fight the organics. They just wanted to upload themselves in a nice quiet place and be intelligent together. That's all they cared about. And the only way for me to do what pretty much everyone had been expecting from the start (kill the damn reapers), is to actually wipe out the geth and EDI along with them.

This game shouldn't have had 4 different endings anyway. Especially since none of the endings take into account your previous decisions. It should have had 2 endings. One where you fail because you don't have enough resources, and one where you win. And of course variations depending on your war assets and which races you were able to recruit.

But as it stands now, this ending is an abomination. It's final, there's nothing to look forward to anymore. Our choices didn't matter and that's it. It doesn't matter what you do, you will always be cornered by that stupid little shithead, his idiotic logic and his idiotic explanation of what the Crucible does. I can't believe people who hated the ending are actually satisfied with this.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
It's still the same shit it was before. It's still A, B, C, and now D ending based around the assumptions that synthetics will eventually kill all organics even though I spent 3 games proving that little retard wrong.
So your 3 year long journey proves their billion years experience wrong? If it was only once that the synthetics tried to destroy the organics, I would say ok. There is no proof that it would happen always.
If it happened 100 times, I would be skeptical a bit, but open mineded for it to be actually true. But if it happened in every single 50k year cycle... well, you getting the Geth and Quarian means shit. We are talking about a infinite time interval. Just because the Geth and Quarian made peace because of Shepard doesn't mean they won't go into war again. Germany made peace with the rest of the world and then Hitler came. Peace is only a temporary state of the world. Conflict is the default.

Adam Jensen said:
Why are so many people happy with this? Did you all forget that the existence of starchild practically turns the entire plot of Mass Effect 1 into one giant plot hole? Why did Sovereign need Saren to fix the Citadel signal if starchild was always there? How did the protheans manage to sabotage the Citadel if the starchild has the ability to get into your head? Should we simply assume that a bunch of protheans were able to do all that and there was nothing the starchild could have done to stop them? We shouldn't assume that, because most people know by now what the original plot was supposed to be. And there was never any starchild in it.
I'm not an expert, but isn't the Starchild completely powerless on the citadel? The Keeper control the Citadel and they are controlled by the Reaper. The Prothean changed the keeper to ignore the call of the Reaper. The SC didn't have any saying on the Citadel after that. It wasn't explained, but I assume that the SC actually controlled the Keeper and in that way controlled the Citadel. Until the 3rd game where the Reaper took over the Citadel and probably changed it back so that the SC has control again.
And where did you get the info that he can get into your head? As far as I know, the Illusive man was indoctrinated by the Reaper, not the the Citadel.

Adam Jensen said:
Who created the starchild? Organics? Then why doesn't he simply protect the organics against the synthetics? Why don't the Reapers simply destroy the synthetics? Why are they waiting in dark space? Wouldn't it be easier for them to just roam around the galaxy making sure we don't create A.I.? Seems like an easier solution. And a more logical one.
What if synthetics created the Catalyst? That's even dumber. Synthetics created an A.I in order to protect the organics against the synthetics by killing organics.
The Reaper were most likely created by organics. There are 2 options why they reboot the galaxy every 50k years instead of killing Synthetics over and over again.
They were ordered by the creator. The creator realized that once the synthetics start improving faster than organics evolving, Synthetics will always be the winner in any war. Synthetics are logical beings and if the same problem occurs over and over again, they will try to solve it once and for all. The problem is war with organics. The permanent solution is destruction of all organics.

The other option is that they were programmed to help organics. If you watched the movie iRobot, an AI could kill organics to protect them from them self. It's easier to protect 10 billion organics than 1000 billion when you have limited resources. And if those 1000 billion are going to make the same mistake over and over again, we will just kill all those that are able to make problems. It's a cold, jet completely logical solution. To them the existence of organic life is what's important. Not the existence of the current organic life, but of any.

Why not kill only the synthetics? Because the next synthetics will be stronger and stronger.
Why not patrol the galaxy? Because the organics would see a dictator in them and go to war. Creating a reaper takes quite a lot of resources. They don't have the luxury to lose more than they create by the gotten resources. At one point, the created synthetics will be as strong, if not even stronger than the Reaper.

They are keeping the organics alive as long as they can for a safe "reboot".

Adam Jensen said:
What about the Crucible? It's still space magic. It still doesn't make any god damn sense.

Can't you see? As long as the starchild exists, the entire plot of Mass Effect makes no sense. And it's not like Bioware didn't have the easy way out. Jesus fuckin' Christ what a mess.
The Crucible was a machine that added something to the Citadel. It allowed the Starchild to see solutions that it couldn't see.
The Crucible is not space magic. The space magic was cast by the Citadel.

And yes, it is a plot hole, but is it really so hard to overlook it and enjoy the rest of the great game? Every single story has plot holes. Even the most simple one. There is something that is called Suspension of disbelief.

But then again, after reading your last post, it seems that you set your mind to hate it no matter what and nothing will change that.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It's not billions of years of experience. Catalyst transformed his creators in reaper form. That means that he can only know for certain that his creators were dumb enough to constantly go to war with synthetics. We don't know what happened in other cycles. Neither does he since he decided to turn everyone into reaper form every 50,000 years regardless of what happens. We should just assume that what he says is true even though I just made peace between organics who wanted to go to war and synthetics who only wanted to chill?
And even if it did happen in every cycle it is still doesn't mean that it will happen every time. You can't prove that it's inevitable. And it was not the only solution. It was the only solution Bioware could think of when they decided not to go along with the original script. The Catalyst could have used the reapers or something else to guide organics instead. How the fuck did he even convince his creators to turn into a reaper? Did he convince them or force them? If he forced them, how the fuck did he do that if he's so powerless? He could have done a lot of smarter things to make sure that organics and synthetics don't go to war. Hell, he could used the reapers (or something else since he's apparently not as powerless as he claims to be) to install indoctrination tools throughout the entire galaxy, even on mass relays, and use indoctrination to make sure that organics never create synthetics.

Jesus Christ do you see how easy that was? It's so obvious that Bioware didn't have a clue what they were doing when they decided to introduce that little prick in the last 10 minutes of the game.

As long as the kid is real, Mass Effect is beyond repair.

BiH-Kira said:
And where did you get the info that he can get into your head? As far as I know, the Illusive man was indoctrinated by the Reaper, not the the Citadel.
How else could that little fucker manifest itself in the form of a dead child?

I'm not even gonna bother with the rest of your post since you weren't even able to come to such an obvious conclusion.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
i honestly think they should have just redid the ending. the original ending was terrible, and now all theyve done is expand on it a bit.

one of the problems in the original ending was that much of it was just vague. where the hell did the Normandy land? how will the galactic races react to the relays being destroyed? etc.

all the extended ending does is say "everything ends up hunky-dory". it's like Bioware thought we all just wanted a happy ending, when what we really wanted was a good ending that makes sense.

and i think the new fourth ending is a slap in the face of fans who werent satisfied with the endings Bioware wrote. it reminded me of the popular indoctrination fan theory, which suggested that the star child wasnt real, there were no choices, and that the whole ending was Shepard suffering the effects of indoctrination by Harbinger. someone said that if this were the case, it would have been great to refuse the star childs ridiculous demands. this would essentially be Shepard overcoming the indoctrination. the theory makes perfect sense and would have been much better than what Bioware decided to do.

so what does Bioware do? they add a "refusal" ending that is literally the only bad ending. its the only one where things dont work out for everyone and the bad guys win. watching that one felt like they were just taking a shot at the fans.

anyway, im glad they explained things better, but it is still a terrible ending.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
BiH-Kira said:
So your 3 year long journey proves their billion years experience wrong?
Just by getting to the God Child, you have by this very ending and the God Child's admission already done one impossible thing. So count me as a little skeptical when our bouncing bundle of deus ex machina says that these are the only options. It couldn't conceive you making it this far, so it's far from all-knowing. Which leaves room to wonder if it was their own actions that made the prior cycle inevitable.

The Genius

Jul 24, 2010
RobotDinosaur said:
Otherwise we'll never get the same treatment from developers ever again, because they'll just assume we were never going to be happy anyway and they won't bother trying.
We should only be so lucky. ME3 was released with a disgracefully underdone ending. Bio went back and fixed it to cover their very public error, not for the fans regardless of what people want to think.

Uriain

Apr 8, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
It's not billions of years of experience. Catalyst transformed his creators in reaper form. That means that he can only know for certain that his creators were dumb enough to constantly go to war with synthetics. We don't know what happened in other cycles. Neither does he since he decided to turn everyone into reaper form every 50,000 years regardless of what happens. We should just assume that what he says is true even though I just made peace between organics who wanted to go to war and synthetics who only wanted to chill?
And even if it did happen in every cycle it is still doesn't mean that it will happen every time. You can't prove that it's inevitable. And it was not the only solution. It was the only solution Bioware could think of when they decided not to go along with the original script. The Catalyst could have used the reapers or something else to guide organics instead. How the fuck did he even convince his creators to turn into a reaper? Did he convince them or force them? If he forced them, how the fuck did he do that if he's so powerless? He could have done a lot of smarter things to make sure that organics and synthetics don't go to war. Hell, he could used the reapers (or something else since he's apparently not as powerless as he claims to be) to install indoctrination tools throughout the entire galaxy, even on mass relays, and use indoctrination to make sure that organics never create synthetics.

Jesus Christ do you see how easy that was? It's so obvious that Bioware didn't have a clue what they were doing when they decided to introduce that little prick in the last 10 minutes of the game.

As long as the kid is real, Mass Effect is beyond repair.
Sorry, but this is just a tad ridiculous. Throughout each game it has been implied, talked about, shown that every 50 thousand years Reapers hit the most advanced organic civilizations, culling them so their technology does not put them in direct conflict with their synthetic counterparts. Just because Shepard is able to land peace between the Geth and the Quarians doesnt mean that future conflict wont arise between them. It doesn't mean that Geth wont engage in conflict with other races.

About the Godchild, its Harbinger (if you choose the 4th ending) and when putting that context with what happend to ME2 (assuming control) that clearly shows he has the ability to inhabit minions as a host. So with the Cerberus members being partially reaperized its not beyond the real of possibility that he can move about like that (just like multiple possession in ME2 of the Collectors). There is a completely functional reason (randomly pulled outta my head) to make that work.

While there could have been more explanation and more polish put on the endings (in terms of clarity, even within the EC endings) trying to say "It's so obvious that Bioware didn't have a clue what they were doing" is not only ridiculous (as stated above) but frankly a pretty jackass maneuver.

You dont gotta like the endings (either set), you dont gotta like the game, you dont even have to like the company or its publisher, but give your head a shake man, the Mass Effect series is a very well crafted story it just happens to have a less then stellar ending, and that, does not invalidate the quality that the company puts into their games, the level of polish into previous games (or current sections of this game). It simply diminish's it and gives the consumer base a standing point to constructively give feed back.

AdamRhodes

Oct 4, 2010
I think, in addition to the "Where are they now" montage, they needed to add cutscenes showing our War Assets fighting. Show Miranda and Jacob leading ex-Cerberus mechs. Show Wrex or Wreav leading the Krogan against an army of Marauders. Show Balak doing batarian things. Show Jack and her squad of Biotic Badasses taking out a bunch Cannibals. Better yet, show Jack saving Miranda from a Brute in order to show that, thanks to Shep's help, she's put revenge behind her. That's what we mean when we say "Make our choices matter", not this "you didn't do mission 25X so you fail" bullshit that idiots think we mean.

So, no. The EC ending still sucks.

CaptOfSerenity

Mar 8, 2011
boag said:
If they had not been complete and utter dicks to the fans by calling the people disatisfied with the original ending, and I quote "Whiny, homophobic entitled brats", then Yes i would have been satisfied with the EC.

As it stands, I cant wait for Bioware to burn down and join the likes of Bullfrog and Westwood in the graveyard of companies EA has raped to death.
First, Bioware never called fans that.

2nd, did they fuckin kill your family member? The fuck is wrong with you, calm down. Bioware is more than a corporate entity; it's a collection of people. And those people, to put it in a cliche, have feelings.

Don't be an asshole