Poll: ME3 EC didn't fix anything

IrritatingSquirrel

Jul 2, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
There's been some development. Fans have already found something interesting in some of the DLC files that might hint to another DLC focusing on the origins of the Reapers, featuring a rogue Reaper and possibly a new squad mate. Now the only question is, is this going to be a DLC, a full expansion or a new game? Or maybe nothing. And if it is a DLC, is it a prequel or post-end DLC. Check it out it's interesting.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/12777408/5

Want to bet this one will actually cost money?
Bioware have pretty much confirmed it will - they said MP DLC would be free, but single player would be paid

Lancer723

Dec 12, 2008
Oh, Bioware.

I give you credit, you stuck to your guns, the 3 endings are ultimately the same, fewer plotholes now though the big ones still loom to me. It was your work and you stuck to it.

It's still big ole pile of crap as far as I'm concerned, it just stinks a little less now.

But hey most of the series is excellent so you've got that going for you.

Unfortunately this whole escapade has done nothing but convince me that Bioware has had serious Story-writing issue, probably largely related to the departure of Drew Karpyshyn.

Everyone is going to have their own opinions on this and there is going to be some heated arguments over the next few days, but it's ultimately over. Bioware has stood up for its (in my opinion, shoddy) endings, but cleared up the gaping plot holes that should have been solved in revisions.

At the end of the day, Bioware is on thin ice with me for it's next product, so this next year or so is gonna be gut-check time.

Show me what you got Bioware.

P.S.

Does anyone else find the new "Refusal Ending" hilarious? Bioware HUUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEE troll ending.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
skywolfblue said:
mad825 said:
Harbinger seemed to be complied leaving Normandy alone despite everything else going up in flames
Standard plot armor. Yes still a tiny bit silly, but then again virtually every story ever has plot armor situations like that (for example: the fight with the big baddie magically pauses so that the hero can mourn his girlfriend who just got stabbed, etc etc). At least it's an ~explained~ solution now.
The best explanation would be pure laziness to implement it. I wasn't expecting for it to get totally damaged but at least for fucks sake someone throw a pea at it. Normandy from that scene had ghost mode on.

What you are taking about is used for dramatic effect; typically it's the opposite of The Armor Is Useless or as a example

mad825 said:
how did Hackett know that the Crucible was "armed"? How did he know that the Crucible was going to be a danger?
I imagine that given the fact that the alliance built the crucible they probably installed sensors inside of it that let them know when it lit up. Even if they didn't they could have just looked out the window at the whole citadel lighting up, that's probably a pretty obvious clue.
You're kidding right? They didn't have a frigging clue on what they were building. There's no way Hackett could've known that it was a wide spread energy burst. Even we didn't know until the last minute. Logic dictates you get to a reasonable distance, you don't stand in front of it nor you stand next to it but you don't leave the area.

It was like an alien that could work out with pure intuition on how to place and detonate dynamite in real life.

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
When you shoot the Starchild, you get an ending dedicated to Bioware telling you that you suck, your opinions suck, and how dare you not like godchild.

If not for the godchild this EC would've been alright but.. He just illustrates how awful the story is, and how irrepairable it is.

Edit: I just finished watching the Synthesis ending all the way through. Unquestionably powerful ending, but.. Dear god there is still that godchild and he is still so irrevocably out of place, and still so terrible. I wanna like this so.. so.. bad..

m72_ar

Oct 27, 2010
I'm happy with it. It's not perfect but it's definitely a vast improvement.

And for those who complain about not enough DARKNESS, there is the dumbass ending now if you prefer to doom everyone

Valdus

Apr 7, 2011
So the DLC makes the ending a little better? That's not hard by the way...

They could have made the DLC just a gif of EA employees laughing at you for 10 minutes and it still would have made more sense than the original ending (and been a lot more honest as well).

m72_ar

Oct 27, 2010
While on that note, has anybody see any ending version where you completely fucked the Krogan over (Dead Wrex, Dead Matriarch, No Genophage Cure)? do they have special slides or do they just remove the Krogan slides ?

I picked destroy and there are no geth slides in my ending and I was wondering if it's handled the same way

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
I saw EC endings on YouTube, and now I'm here to vent.

Endings didn't fix any of the major problems. Plot holes that retroactively destroy the trilogy are still there. These endings were designed to satisfy emotional players who wanted character closure and who don't give a flying fuck about logic behind it all. BECAUSE THERE IS NO LOGIC! It's still the same shit it was before. It's still A, B, C, and now D ending based around the assumptions that synthetics will eventually kill all organics even though I spent 3 games proving that little retard wrong.

Why are so many people happy with this? Did you all forget that the existence of starchild practically turns the entire plot of Mass Effect 1 into one giant plot hole? Why did Sovereign need Saren to fix the Citadel signal if starchild was always there? How did the protheans manage to sabotage the Citadel if the starchild has the ability to get into your head? Should we simply assume that a bunch of protheans were able to do all that and there was nothing the starchild could have done to stop them? We shouldn't assume that, because most people know by now what the original plot was supposed to be. And there was never any starchild in it.

Who created the starchild? Organics? Then why doesn't he simply protect the organics against the synthetics? Why don't the Reapers simply destroy the synthetics? Why are they waiting in dark space? Wouldn't it be easier for them to just roam around the galaxy making sure we don't create A.I.? Seems like an easier solution. And a more logical one.
What if synthetics created the Catalyst? That's even dumber. Synthetics created an A.I in order to protect the organics against the synthetics by killing organics.

What about the Crucible? It's still space magic. It still doesn't make any god damn sense.

Can't you see? As long as the starchild exists, the entire plot of Mass Effect makes no sense. And it's not like Bioware didn't have the easy way out. Jesus fuckin' Christ what a mess.

The poll is broken for some reason. Third option should say "I don't care anymore"
Why are you complaining about the Crucible being space magic when the series is TITLED after space magic? The "Mass Effect" requires the existence of a magical space-element called eezo to work in the first place.

That said, I found the endings "meh". Better than they were before but still not quite up to snuff. All the explanations felt like they were shoehorned in as far the crew abandoning shepherd were concerned.

m72_ar

Oct 27, 2010
Valdus said:
So the DLC makes the ending a little better? That's not hard by the way...

They could have made the DLC just a gif of EA employees laughing at you for 10 minutes and it still would have made more sense than the original ending (and been a lot more honest as well).
Well it's not hard to do better than the original ending but at least they did make an effort to fix it

May 28, 2009
Navvan said:
Adam Jensen said:
I just finished it and all the changes are not in the final monolog(s). They are sprinkled between Cerberus base mission and the final monolog. While it isn't perfect it is at least a respectable and satisfying ending now. It covers most of the plot holes with outright explanations or changes and leaves room for the others (like why didn't Starchild open citadel) to be solved implicitly. Its a shame it wasn't like this when it was first released.
- They explain how the Starchild came to be and what happened to their creator.
- They explain more on the Starchild's Logic.
- You can still disagree with the Starchild's logic and tell him to fuck off now.
- It explains the "Joker running" incident
- It explains why those with you on the planet are now on the Normandy
- It explains a bit more on what the Crucible is how it does what it does. Its still somewhat space magic but it isn't the "Wtf this is bullshit" it was anymore.
- The reapers wipe out all advanced life both synthetic and organic (and store their collective culture and knowledge). They are as much interested in protecting synthetic life as they are in protecting organic life (and thus they don't go around pew pewing all the AI for the same reason they don't pew pew all the monkeys).
- The Relays no longer outright explode, they sort of just fall apart after releasing the colorful wave.
- They mention repeatedly how everything is able to be rebuilt with current technology (especially if you choose control)

The only major thing they don't address is why the StarChild didn't just open the gateway in the beginning (that I found/recall anyway). However he does reference a curiosity and surprise at this cycles organics and that they are unique. His goal also isn't to wipe out all advanced life in the Galaxy but to save it (in his you'll be saved whether you like it or not Starchild way). He implies during your conversation that he has tried and wants other options to succeed but only the harvesting has worked. Thus it isn't out of the realm of possibility that he didn't open the citadel simply because he wanted to see the results of this cycle's organics efforts.

TL;DR: It delivers the closure that the original was missing and covers most if not all of the major plot hole crapapuluza the original ending had. While it isn't my ideal ending it is both satisfying and respectable now. It is just a shame this wasn't the original.
Pretty much this. I can't help but think it is still soured by the original ending.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Z of the Na said:
Ok, so maybe it wasn't what you were expecting. Fine, but it's the best we were given. If that isn't good enough for you, then well, I don't know what to tell you.
"Sure it's a huge turd, but that's the best they can do. It's better to eat crap than nothing at all, right?"

Thammuz

Nov 21, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Endings didn't fix any of the major problems. Plot holes that retroactively destroy the trilogy are still there. These endings were designed to satisfy emotional players who wanted character closure and who don't give a flying fuck about logic behind it all. BECAUSE THERE IS NO LOGIC! It's still the same shit it was before. It's still A, B, C, and now D ending based around the assumptions that synthetics will eventually kill all organics even though I spent 3 games proving that little retard wrong.
It doesn't matter if the assumption is wrong, it's an assumption made by a character, namely the starchild. It's just as relevant as the illusive man's assumption that a can do spirit would've magically shielded him from indoctrination. Characters CAN be wrong. They can also be powerful and stubborn enough that you can't change their minds or beat them conventionally, hence why the refusal ending. Don't want to submit? doesn't mean you will be able to win.

Adam Jensen said:
Why are so many people happy with this? Did you all forget that the existence of starchild practically turns the entire plot of Mass Effect 1 into one giant plot hole? Why did Sovereign need Saren to fix the Citadel signal if starchild was always there? How did the protheans manage to sabotage the Citadel if the starchild has the ability to get into your head? Should we simply assume that a bunch of protheans were able to do all that and there was nothing the starchild could have done to stop them? We shouldn't assume that, because most people know by now what the original plot was supposed to be. And there was never any starchild in it.
What's done is done. At least we now have a marginally more internally consistent ending. I won't even try to defend the whole starchild business as it is, because it's shit.

As for why are people so happy about this: You see, in human interaction we set a baseline reference during the first interactions we have with a person. Whatever reads as better than the baseline makes people generally happy. Now, you're using your pre-EA bioware baseline, and this is absolute shit compared to that. Most people are using their EA baseline, and are happy as pigs in slop because EA did something for free and it didn't completely suck. Only mostly.

Adam Jensen said:
Who created the starchild? Organics? Then why doesn't he simply protect the organics against the synthetics? Why don't the Reapers simply destroy the synthetics? Why are they waiting in dark space? Wouldn't it be easier for them to just roam around the galaxy making sure we don't create A.I.? Seems like an easier solution. And a more logical one.
What if synthetics created the Catalyst? That's even dumber. Synthetics created an A.I in order to protect the organics against the synthetics by killing organics.
Again, yeah, they said they were not going to fix that, it's not news.

Adam Jensen said:
What about the Crucible? It's still space magic. It still doesn't make any god damn sense.
Well, honestly, most of ME's science is space magic anyway.

Adam Jensen said:
Can't you see? As long as the starchild exists, the entire plot of Mass Effect makes no sense. And it's not like Bioware didn't have the easy way out. Jesus fuckin' Christ what a mess.
I concur that it is a mess. I also concur that they didn't fix shit on the big picture. They did however fix the smaller issues, which is something, at least.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I'd want to download this thing just for the fourth ending alone. Not that I'd ever take it - good lord no. I love these games and these characters and I refuse to let them all be wiped out on idiotic principle.

I love what it represents - after all the bitching, moaning, hatred and hyperbole, it proves Bioware can still give as good as they get. You wanted an ending where the Reapers win? You got it! Want to tell Johnny Catalyst he's wrong and can go die in a puddle? Sure, go ahead! Kind of makes the whole 'unite the galaxy, build the Crucible, retake Earth' business a bit pointless, but hey at least the angry little emperors (Charlie Brooker's words, not mine) get what they want.

Also, it pretty much kicks Indoctrination Theory in the head, explains away the Normandy crash landing business without completely retconning it and makes the ending choices seem a lot less bleak and hopeless.

All in all, I'd call the Extended Cut a 100% success.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Jandau said:
Well, at least the three original endings blow less now.

Seriously, they stated they won't be overhauling the ending sequence, so I'm not quite sure what you expected. Yes, the whole Starchild thing is crap, that much has been established. However, the extended endings are more bearable and you do get the "Screw you, Starchild!" ending that everyone demanded. Granted, when I saw it, I kept waiting for a trollface image with the words "Problem?" to show up on the screen, but to be honest that ending makes sense...

EDIT: Though, I gotta admit, while watching the new "Control" ending and listening to Shepard I kept waiting for "Still alive" from Portal to start playing...
Wait, how do you get the "fuck off godchild" option? I didn't see anything except the original 3 options when I went through it.

Edit: On topic: I liked the changes the EC made, and it's definitely a step in the right direction, but it's still not "good". My primary issue with it is that they didn't touch the most glaring problem with the original ending, which is the Catalyst's ridiculous "in order to stop you being killed by robots, I made robots to kill you first" logic. The entire sequence would need to be redone to make it a "good" ending.

What we've got though is probably the best we're going to get short of that though, so there's not much left to be fussed about.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I was ok with the original endings, thought I felt... well what could happen now.
That has now been answered. Look guys your taking a statement that was made early about how the endings were suppose to be and they changed that. You have a right to be angry, but its time to let it go. Can any of you come up with a better ending? Post it here. Complete with different endings based on what you've selected in the past. Then find a way to create a way to active these endings without using a selection screen of any kind.

Its harder than it looks, especially since ME1 and ME2 both had button endings. You either save the council or don't. You either destroy the base or don't.

Please stop... its just getting childish and your making me sad.

Tiddles

Jan 30, 2012
I'm going to keep stopping play when Anderson dies and that works for me.

I'm also very grateful I didn't pay for this DLC because if I'd had to spend a significant portion of my weekly "fun" budget on explaining stuff I didn't give a damn about I would be irate.

The specific stuff I wanted was an explanation about my crew and how they got on after the battle with the Reapers and frankly I would be happy with a text screen, I don't need thematic explanations. The reason I've sunk so much of my spare time into these games is the relationships my Shepard has with all the crew and the NPCs. But hey shit happens, it's not the worst ending just the most personally disappointing.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Agayek said:
Wait, how do you get the "fuck off godchild" option? I didn't see anything except the original 3 options when I went through it.
You should get an extra dialogue option near the end of the conversation. You can check a Youtube video of it for the specific moment when it's supposed to happen.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Mick Golden Blood said:
JediMB said:
Rejection lets the cycle continue, killing most everyone off, but instead leaves the following cycle with the knowledge needed to defeat the Reapers for real.
Problem is that's literally all there is.

You can raise the max amount of points but you still lose.

Now, I know the reapers are made to be extremely powerful and all that shit.

But possibility of winning should have been added, otherwise (as it is now) Bioware basically pulled out 'the bird' on everyone. (A Fuck you basically)

~snip~
Oh, I'm with you there. As far as I'm concerned, Mass Effect 3 should have been about amassing a fleet powerful enough to actually defeat the Reapers, since Mass Effect 2 showed/told us a lot about technological improvements such as the Reaper-based Thanix Cannons.

Unfortunately, though, someone decided that the whole game was going to circle around the Crucible and the hunt for the mysterious "Catalyst", so that's what we got. And in order to justify the Crucible, Reapers were simply powered up to a level that would make conventional victory impossible.

I had my own ideas for how to utilize both the Crucible plot line and still let the allied fleet win through their own military strength, but obviously that wasn't something BioWare's head writers were interested in...

sobaka770

Jun 20, 2008
Zack Alklazaris said:
I was ok with the original endings, thought I felt... well what could happen now.
That has now been answered. Look guys your taking a statement that was made early about how the endings were suppose to be and they changed that. You have a right to be angry, but its time to let it go. Can any of you come up with a better ending? Post it here. Complete with different endings based on what you've selected in the past. Then find a way to create a way to active these endings without using a selection screen of any kind.

Its harder than it looks, especially since ME1 and ME2 both had button endings. You either save the council or don't. You either destroy the base or don't.

Please stop... its just getting childish and your making me sad.
That's funny I made a fan-fiction ending post right this morning. It's a tad rough but it certainly didn't take me a prohibitively long time to come up with.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.380034-Unsatisfied-with-ME3-ending-and-EC#14924615:

ME1 and ME2 end choices were organic. They never felt tacked on, and didn't introduce new characters or twists and fit into overall design philosophy of Paragon/Renegade of the character.