Poll: ME3 ending DLC(Spoilers are likely)

TheAbominableDan

Jun 2, 2009
Lithan said:
You ever see the episode of futurama where Fry gets the devils hands and performs an opera... but loses the hands and has to complete it without them.

Yeah, that.
See, but the ending worked. There is no reason to believe that this wasn't Bioware's planned ending. They gave you an ending. You're just acting pouty about it because you wanted a different one. I think you need to understand the difference between not giving you an ending, and not giving you the ending you wanted.

I hated the end of the last season of Doctor Who. But I didn't go demand the BBC shoot a new ending for me. Because that would be crazy.

Lithan

Mar 11, 2012
The ending didn't work. It makes no sense whatsoever. Magic kid from the sky who controls the reapers but for whatever reason will let you destroy them, control them or perform some ass-numbingly ridiculous totally out of left field hoodoo with no explanation or possible justification.

They were too lazy to write an ending so they went, Here's god. He'll tell ya the reapers were right with all that spooky shit they said. Here's three choices, none of which we spent more than five minutes thinking out. You're dead now. See how deep and thoughtful our ending is. You can merge organics and synthetics. Now joker has circuitry under his skin. TOTALLY makes sense. Give us more money please.

TheAbominableDan

Jun 2, 2009
Lithan said:
The ending didn't work. It makes no sense whatsoever. Magic kid from the sky who controls the reapers but for whatever reason will let you destroy them, control them or perform some ass-numbingly ridiculous totally out of left field hoodoo with no explanation or possible justification.

They were too lazy to write an ending so they went, Here's god. He'll tell ya the reapers were right with all that spooky shit they said. Here's three choices, none of which we spent more than five minutes thinking out. You're dead now. See how deep and thoughtful our ending is. You can merge organics and synthetics. Now joker has circuitry under his skin. TOTALLY makes sense. Give us more money please.
I think you misunderstand the meaning of the word work. You were comparing it to a misprinted book. That's not an apt comparison at all. If I went up to the citadel and then the game shut down, that's an apt comparison. You got an ending but aren't happy about it.

That's fine, you're allowed to dislike the ending. I can respect that. But it's still the ending of the game. And presumably, one they've had in mind for a while. You're free to not like it. But you have no right to tell them to give you a different one.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
MiracleOfSound said:
Sad to admit but yeah, I want a different ending so bad that I'd be willing to pay for it.

I was absolutely gutted when I finished the game.
Those are my thoughts exactly. I believe they should be free... though I know that if they truly do make the endings acceptable I will pay for it. With my faith in Bioware already shaken multiple times recently, having to pay for the true ending to the trilogy will ultimately prove to me that they simply don't make games I want to play anymore.

Lithan

Mar 11, 2012
I disagree. I spent a great deal of money on a game series that promised a certain level of care and detail in its development. The ending isn't just bad. It's lazy. The last 30-45minutes of the game quite simply did not have the development resources both in writing staff and in game design (last level was a joke) that the series promised to deliver. They slapped it together to save money or time and it is back to bite them in the ass. This isn't a tv series where the creators had a different vision than the audience. This is a game developer cutting corners and trying to pass off a polished turd as a diamond. Magical glowing child from your dreams who controls all life in the galaxy? Polish that turd EA, Polish hard. If I got hired to solve some complex mathematical equations I couldn't just solve the first few pages and then write "MAGIC" in sharpee across the problems on the last page and expect to get paid. They did exactly that, but they made us pay them first.

TheAbominableDan

Jun 2, 2009
Lithan said:
I disagree. I spent a great deal of money on a game series that promised a certain level of care and detail in its development. The ending isn't just bad. It's lazy. The last 30-45minutes of the game quite simply did not have the development resources both in writing staff and in game design (last levels were a joke) that the series promised to deliver. They slapped it together to save money or time and it is back to bite them in the ass. This isn't a tv series where the creators had a different vision than the audience. This is a game developer cutting corners and trying to pass of a polished turd as a diamond. Magical glowing child from your dreams who controls all life in the galaxy? Polish that turd EA, Polish hard. If I got hired to solve some complex mathematical equations. I couldn't just solve the first few pages write MAGIC in sharpee across the problems on the last page and expect to get paid. They did exactly that, but they made us pay them first.
This has gotten tiresome. I can't convince you of anything so I'm gonna move on to other stuff in my head.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
TheAbominableDan said:
Lithan said:
It actually directly addresses what you said. They didn't put in the work for a proper ending and that is why people are pissed off and have every right to get one for free. It's like releasing a book with a misprint where the last chapter is replaced with a recipe for saurbraten, going "Screw it, good enough." Selling it. And then going "OMG! You want us to print you the last chapter for FREE! That costs MONEY!"
Actually no. They released the ending. They finished the story. Then people got angry because it wasn't the ending they wanted and demand that Bioware do it different. You don't get to do that. They made the game, you can like it or not. But you can't demand they give you a new ending free of charge.

Your analogy would work if the game broke and didn't end. But it does end, you just don't like the ending you got.
Ohh god, a smart person.

How increasingly rare in these days of entitlement based bioware hate.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
Knight Templar said:
I think the Ship doesn't have enough people to create a viable long-term settlement.
No need to be insulting.
Inbreeding, it can go on for a long time, and despite what most tv shows/movies have shown the affects of inbreeding as the deformed ones usually die while the normal looking ones live, it isn't as genetically terrible as they make it out to be in fiction

Though it is still very bad.
And who can say whether those rules apply if you have crazy cyborg Joker? And, you know, there might be people on the planet. Possibly supported by the fact that it doesn't kill them when they step outside, you'd think someone might have found it and colonized it.

Personally, given the extreme lack of details in the ending as to what happens to everyone, and what your choices actually mean, I suspect that they were always planning to release DLC to clarify handle that, and hopefully do what everything wants out of an ending. In other words, that they intentionally released the game with the story unifinished so they could squeeze more money out of it. That said, I'll buy that DLC, because I want that clarification, but it'd better be cheap.

Captcha: Goldman Sachs. Lol. (The lol part was not in the captcha)

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Smiley Face said:
And who can say whether those rules apply if you have crazy cyborg Joker? And, you know, there might be people on the planet. Possibly supported by the fact that it doesn't kill them when they step outside, you'd think someone might have found it and colonized it.

Personally, given the extreme lack of details in the ending as to what happens to everyone, and what your choices actually mean, I suspect that they were always planning to release DLC to clarify handle that, and hopefully do what everything wants out of an ending. In other words, that they intentionally released the game with the story unifinished so they could squeeze more money out of it. That said, I'll buy that DLC, because I want that clarification, but it'd better be cheap.

Captcha: Goldman Sachs. Lol. (The lol part was not in the captcha)
Actually before the game came out they said there wouldn't be post ending DLc because

"all it would be is staring at a boring wasteland"

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
TheAbominableDan said:
Lithan said:
You ever see the episode of futurama where Fry gets the devils hands and performs an opera... but loses the hands and has to complete it without them.

Yeah, that.
See, but the ending worked. There is no reason to believe that this wasn't Bioware's planned ending. They gave you an ending. You're just acting pouty about it because you wanted a different one. I think you need to understand the difference between not giving you an ending, and not giving you the ending you wanted.

I hated the end of the last season of Doctor Who. But I didn't go demand the BBC shoot a new ending for me. Because that would be crazy.
I want you to think about the endings. Not just accept them at face value no I want you to reaaaaaallly think about them.

Lets go step by step

Detroy reapers-Probably the most popular choice. Why and how do they destroy not just the reapers but all synthetic life? I mean how does it differentiate between AIs and plain old Virtual intelligences. What about anything with a cpu are those things destroyed as well?

Control the reapers- Baring the question of why the hell (when it has been your goal to destroy the reapers from the get go) you would pick this option, how the hell does Shepard even control the reapers when he is killed in the process. It doesn't say he is ascended to a higher plain of consciousness a la Stargate, no Shepard is gone, kaput, he is dead.

Then we get to the most wtf option of them all...Synthesis.
So all life is now part organic/synthetic. How deep does that go, are microbes now part robot? How about proteins? Do amino acids have a little computer chip in them now? Are rocks now part biological? If you were to mine them would they start bleeding? Also how the hell would Shepard be the basis for every single organic species out there? I mean how similar is a Human to a Hanar let alone a human to a shark?

And then we got the whole why was the Normandy flying away from earth all of a sudden. Where was the rest of the fleet and why weren't they following him? Where the hell did they land and why the fuck is a companion that I took with me that should at least still be on earth and is most likely killed by Harbinger walking out of the Normandy with Joker?

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
spectrenihlus said:
Then we get to the most wtf option of them all...Synthesis.
So all life is now part organic/synthetic. How deep does that go, are microbes now part robot? How about proteins? Do amino acids have a little computer chip in them now? Are rocks now part biological? If you were to mine them would they start bleeding? Also how the hell would Shepard be the basis for every single organic species out there? I mean how similar is a Human to a Hanar let alone a human to a shark?
Oh my god, CYBORG SHARKS. I am so glad I picked this option now.

SajuukKhar said:
Actually before the game came out they said there wouldn't be post ending DLc because

"all it would be is staring at a boring wasteland"
I'll believe that when I don't see any. Honestly, the ending was just poorly done. Maybe you're right and they just sucked. I'm an optimist - I'd like to hope that they're going to go in there and fix it, even if it is in a jerk-like money grab.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Finally beat the game, though thanks to reloading a save I've seen all 3 endings.

On the matter of "your choices didn't mean jack squat!":
Of course they did. All the choices you made throughout all 3 games were in some way or another leading to the formation of the grand galactic fleet that engages the Reapers in the final battle. Their entire purpose was purely to get the Crucible to the Catalyst and make the damn thing go boom. Your choices are what determine what allies make up the composition of that fleet. No one knows what'll happen when the Crucible is fired off, they just all have faith that it'll somehow get rid of the Reapers. In the end, all the choices you made were to build a fleet strong enough to ensure that Shepard is standing there at the end with Spontaneous Combustion Boy.

Can't say I really liked the whole "Ending-o-Matic" thing with being able to pick which ending you wanted, but when you think about it: ME 2 ended the same way. Destroy the Collector base or keep it.

Personally I found all the endings to be acceptible...
I knew that Shepard was most likely going to end up going all Neo on the galaxy and making the Jesus Christ sacrifice to bring about peace. If you didn't see the sacrificial Shepard coming, then you're quite blind.

I do agree, though, that just a bit more closure would have been nice, something like what they did at the end of Dragon Age and have text explinations of how the choices you made ultimately effected everyone, the way DA tells what happens with the dwarves, elves, mages, etc.

Would I have liked to see a more fulfilling ending? Sure. But I'm in the apparent minority that really wasn't outright offended and insulted by the ending. Personally I got all the flavor of an ending that I needed when I was nearly brought to tears during the segment where you're going to meet with Anderson for the last time and everyone has the chance to say goodbye to you, yet another MASSIVE hint at what I mentioned in the above spoiler box, if you hadn't caught on already.
Seriously, everyone's getting all weepy and saying their goodbye's like they know you're about to die...even when you assure them that you're going to go kick some ass all the way to the finish line, they still insist on saying goodbye like they'll never see you again. It's called "foreshadowing" folks. :p

As for the topic at hand...would I buy some DLC if they decided to change up the endings a bit? Certainly. I'm just one of the few that don't think it would be necessary.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. Would I have liked a longer ending with more closure? Sure. Would I have liked at least the option for a "happy" ending? Absolutely. Was I expecting one? Not really. Not only the way certain scenes in ME3 played out but also in the tone of the arc of the entire trilogy, it was fairly obvious what they were aiming for all along.

I won't stand up and say it was the best ending I've ever seen, it's not, but the people willing to jump off bridges or go postal at the Bioware office are vastly over reacting. My only real concrete issue with the ending is the brevity. It seemed rather short to serve as the conclusion for nearly 150 hours of storytelling.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
The Mass Effect series is and always will be one of my favorite series. While I don't like the ending, I can accept it for now. Because it is EA that's releasing it, I would image there's going to be much more DLC and I wouldn't mind if they added in a different ending in one of them. In fact, I would gladly pay money for this new ending. How about at least providing a best and worst case scenario based on your war assets. I'm not saying to give us a new ending for free, that's a stupid business move and it would never happen. All I'm asking is that you at least give us the chance to have the ending we sort of wanted. As I said, I would gladly pay for it, and I'd imagine many other people would as well.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
spectrenihlus said:
I think the problem I have is the uncertainty about Shep's friends,

I mean if Vega Kaiden and Joker are on some planet in the ass end of nowhere...lets say the rest of them survived and are stuck on Earth.. So all my friends are screwed?! Great that makes the self sacrifice worthwhile doesn't it...

That's the only problem I had with the ending I chose. Apart from that I was okay with it.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
TheAbominableDan said:
Lithan said:
It actually directly addresses what you said. They didn't put in the work for a proper ending and that is why people are pissed off and have every right to get one for free. It's like releasing a book with a misprint where the last chapter is replaced with a recipe for saurbraten, going "Screw it, good enough." Selling it. And then going "OMG! You want us to print you the last chapter for FREE! That costs MONEY!"
Actually no. They released the ending. They finished the story. Then people got angry because it wasn't the ending they wanted and demand that Bioware do it different. You don't get to do that. They made the game, you can like it or not. But you can't demand they give you a new ending free of charge.

Your analogy would work if the game broke and didn't end. But it does end, you just don't like the ending you got.
You're right, it's more like if you were reading LoTR and in the fires of mount doom, Gollum offered Frodo a choice. Throw himself in the fires with the ring, using SPACE MAGIC to Blow up all of the worlds cities and farms but all the orcs and goblins die. Become a new eye of Sauron, but have control over all of the forces of Mordor. Or become a beautiful fusion of Orc and Hobbit, creating peace in the world. Frodo accepts one of these choices without questioning Gollum about how the hell he would do this, or why he shouldn't just throw the ring in and walk away.

It makes no sense. If the ending to something makes no sense then the product might as well be incomplete. It's like releasing a beta version of a game. The ending doesn't work, it doesn't make sense.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Ive said this elsewhere:

I paid for a new xbox when my old one bricked without warranty. Why? I had hundreds of pounds of games that would go to waste.

I would pay for a piece of DLC that fixes that piece of shit ending, even if it just reunited living shepards with their love interest and closest friends on the Normandy instead of having them run away for no goddamn reason.

Mass Effect 3 is a broken product. Just because its story writing doesnt make it any more acceptable than it would be if it were code writing.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
Considering that I've spent hundreds of hours playing through the first two games to fine tune how my relationships with the various characters evolved, romance options, etc, yeah, I'd like some closure.

It was a bold choice, going for the psychedelic, quasi-philosophical ending that they did, but considering how it was completely out of tune with the entirety of the franchise, I just could not support it. If I replay the games now (and I have replayed the first two games several times, seeing how I was duped into thinking that my choices would have bearing on the saga's end), why would I even pretend to care about what my Shep says and does with his/her various crewmates, etc, if it all amounts to the same anyway?

It was, in other words, crushingly disappointing.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
I was an avid fan for Mass Effect until I heard all the design decisions made and everything that has come to light afterwards from release (still haven't bought it) and this ending fiasco has just cemented that I will never buy it. I could live with a bad ending that I didn't like but this buy new endings seems to me the 1st step on a slippery slope where they will sell the games, you get to the final boss, beat it and then get charged £10 to see the ending of your choice. If you don't pay this fee then after killing the final boss the screen will just fade to black and send you back to the main menu. So yeah I'm completely against buying the actual game endings even if they are extras or not since they should be included in the game as a possible end anyway.

Cranky

Mar 12, 2012
They should have gone the route with ME1. Bring down the Sky was free on PC and Pinnacle Station only costed 5 bucks. Now they've become so money-grubbing.